Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Electric Cars

Post by StevePIraq »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am The show I was watching focused on Sweden. They seem to be at the lead in Europe concerning electric vehicle use. The list of incentives for buying one is as long as your arm including free charging, free city parking, bus lane usage, free ferry passage and quite a few more. Pete :cheers:
Doesn't Thailand offer all of that, plus free Som Tam twice a day.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am What about pick up trucks which are used for hauling loads, and 4WD SUV's that are used off road. Do current electric engines have enough torque for these jobs, and does any major manufacturer have this type of electric vehicle in the planning?

I guess the same question could be asked concerning passenger vans so popular here when hauling people. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Perhaps the torque is there, but batteries would drain too quickly under those type of loads and usage.
I've noticed that here in Europe, an increasing number of companies are using electric vans for delivering stuff around the city, food, mail and office supplies.As for moving people, London had electric busses in the 1920's!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm
PeteC wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am What about pick up trucks which are used for hauling loads, and 4WD SUV's that are used off road. Do current electric engines have enough torque for these jobs, and does any major manufacturer have this type of electric vehicle in the planning?

I guess the same question could be asked concerning passenger vans so popular here when hauling people. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Perhaps the torque is there, but batteries would drain too quickly under those type of loads and usage.
I've noticed that here in Europe, an increasing number of companies are using electric vans for delivering stuff around the city, food, mail and office supplies.As for moving people, London had electric busses in the 1920's!
I can remember going on one of these in the late 50’s in the UK
Attachments
EDB23F29-9827-40BD-8E0C-531354A7857F.jpeg
EDB23F29-9827-40BD-8E0C-531354A7857F.jpeg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 700 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I have a very vague memory of those trolley busses in Nottingham when I was very young in the early 60's.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And of course, still in regular use in Blackpool.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In 1907, a company was running a fleet of battery powered electric busses in London, they had a lead-acid battery that weighed over a ton and they could change them in a few minutes using a ramp at a garage in Victoria.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The thing is now the rapid development of battery technology and capacity. This combined with much more efficient drive systems. No longer any need for unsightly overhead cables to run them. As to be expected, China leads the way.
They have also developed a contactless high speed charging system that can top up the battery at each stop for passengers.

https://qz.com/1169690/shenzhen-in-chin ... bus-fleet/

One city in China has more electric buses than all of America’s biggest cities have buses.

China is racing into what it calls its “new energy” future, the country’s term for electric-powered vehicles, and last week Shenzhen completed its transition to all-electric buses. The city’s electric fleet now dwarfs the number of buses, both conventional or electric, in top US metropolitan areas, reports CleanTechnica.

Shenzhen’s transport commission said on Dec. 27 that it had transitioned its 16,359 buses to all-electric models. The city’s 17,000 taxis are next (63% of them are already electric). China chose the city as a pilot for electric transit in 2009, now intends to expand the effort nationwide.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/ ... on/559571/

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/wuzhoul ... ve-system/

Wuzhoulong’s Chinese e-bus uses UQM drive system.

Shenzhen Wuzhoulong Motors has unveiled a 12-meter bus for the China market, powered by an electric drive system from UQM Technologies (NYSE MKT: UQM).

UQM’s PowerPhase DT HD250 propulsion system includes a 2-speed Eaton transmission and delivers peak power of 250 kW and torque of 3050 Nm.

Wuzhoulong has delivered nearly 3,000 new energy buses, which are running on more than 20 routes in China.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It is countries like China, Qatar and UAE that will drive change, not western countries which have so many steps to follow and hoops to jump through to get anything done. The mentioned countries leaders simply tell the government to do it and it is done.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:55 am It is countries like China, Qatar and UAE that will drive change, not western countries which have so many steps to follow and hoops to jump through to get anything done. The mentioned countries leaders simply tell the government to do it and it is done.
Yes, American scientists worked out that we would have to get off fossil fuels in 1987 but nothing was done for 30 years so handing the lead in the next generation of energy to the Chinese. I don't think that will go down in history as an astute bit of strategic planning!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just been reading that the Jaguar E type seen being driven to the reception at last weekends Royal wedding was electric powered:
https://www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jaguar/j ... -zero.html
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Haha, I thought that was a classic car :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm Haha, I thought that was a classic car :oops:
It was BB, basically a restored 1967 model that had been re-engineered by Jaguar.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Mod Edit: Off topic. If you want to talk about The Royal Wedding please start a thread in Current Events. Thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm Haha, I thought that was a classic car :oops:
It was BB, basically a restored 1967 model that had been re-engineered by Jaguar.
Thanks Steve. :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Mod Edit: Off topic. See above concerning Royal Wedding. Thanks.