buying a car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jungle

buying a car

Post by jungle »

i am buying a new car from a dealer in Hua Hin and he will take my old car through a 3rd party (i think ) as part exchange.
i thought i would need one letter from immigration to buy a car and 1 to sell my car.
the dealer is telling me now a need 3 letters from immigration just to sell my old car.
1' Move ( no idea what the hell this means)
2' change owner ( transfer car)
3' change name on my insurance

1' letter to buy new car total 4 letters at 500 baht each
is this correct?
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Re: buying a car

Post by T.I.G.R. »

We went to Petchaburi and changed ours at the DMV because I purchased it in Bangkok. No letters needed....took an hour or so but just processing paperwork by the DMV folks.

Go to DMV in Hua hin (maybe Pranburi but not sure) with your buyer. They will do the transfer for admin fees. Not much and certainly not 2,000 baht
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yes, there can be a bit of drama selling a car as a foreigner here as they are paranoid about paperwork (but that's Thailand). As for part-exchange at a garage, it's nothing more than a chance for the garage/salesman to scam you one way or another.

I would propose selling your car to a second-hand garage first, getting the cash money, and then approaching wherever you intend to buy your next car from, as much less chance of being ripped-and-stripped or bent over the table etc. imo.

If I was ever going to sell my pickup then I'd first transfer ownership to my wife, as then the process would be a whole lot easier.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Don't sell as part exchange, you'll get ripped off. I laughed at the offer and sold it by myself on the taladrod website where I got at least three times the price. My sister in law sells cars in Bangkok and what they do is, just get someone from a 'tent' (2ndhand car dealer) to quote and take it off their hands. Rates are typically bottom of the barrel. My two baht worth.
BTW the taladrod site is in Thai so get your wife to make out the ad. Posting is free.
วินเชนท์
daddy

Post by daddy »

I live in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Last week I sold my old own car to a professional dealer in Bang Saphan. He didn't need any immigration-letter from me for this deal. Only when I bought a new car I need 1 paper from there.
TiT