Bicycle laws in Thailand?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Bicycle laws in Thailand?

Post by STEVE G »

RCer wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm
PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:17 pm ... carry bicycle training wheels as well during a night out. :idea: :duck:
If he did that, we'd never get to see a good video. Lol
Twenty odd years ago I spent some time in Leiden, a Dutch university city and on a weekend evening there were thousands of people going out to bars on bicycles. The hardest part was finding your bike amongst all the others propped against the pub wall!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I believe that in Netherlands, in a collision between a cyclist and a car, the car driver will be considered to be at fault (a bit like the 30 degree field of vision 'rule' on the roads here) unless there's clear evidence to the contrary. I'm sure I read that in a letter to The Times recently. I guess that will concentrate the mind when you're behind the wheel.

Not sure about pedestrians though. Amsterdam cyclists seem to be a law unto themselves when I've visited.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The thing with the Netherlands is that virtually everyone cycles sometimes, even if they have three cars on the drive, they'll still use a bike to go to the local shop or whatever. Because of that, they tend to be much more tolerant towards cyclists when they're driving.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Slightly off topic, as in not the drunk on a bike bit, but...
Just came back from Singapore, where those electric scooters have become a pain - they modify the motors and can keep up with a bus! There also have been fatalities but for some reason the powers-that-be are slow to react. People on mobility scooters are also getting to be a pain - I have seen one rider getting off the MRT (train) and almost hit pedestrians -he even had a horn!! Singapore is going to the dogs in this respect.
Re the Netherlands - I spent around six months there on a work related stint more than twenty years ago in a small town. They have seperate pathways for bicycles complete with mini traffic lights! If you get drunk there and push your bicycle home, no problem. If, however, you decide to ride it, they will take away your driving licence. Their logic - if you do it with a bike, you'll do it in a car...
Right.
Back to topic..
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's a new item that just hit the BBC and other News sources today concerning bicycle and motor vehicle safety. Something called the "Dutch reach" where the car driver reaches over and uses the opposite hand to pull the door handle to open the car door. This action automatically forces the person's back and neck to turn making it very simple to see if any bicycle or other traffic is approaching from his rear that may hit his opening door.

I'll try it in the morning and see how it works/feels. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

after a night out with the boys Jacques decides cycling would be quicker than walking home...............
Complexity is so simply overrated