Bicycle laws in Thailand?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Bicycle laws in Thailand?

Post by huahin4ever »

I have looked through the Traffic Law trying to find any rules and/or regulation with regards to bicycle use on the roads, but haven't really found anything. Are there anyone on the Forum which knows of these rules and regulations, if any exist?

What about electric bicycles? Are they to be counted as bicycles or motorbikes? Can a person drink/get drunk and use a bicycle without breaking the law in Thailand? I was really wondering because at some point I saw a very drunk Thai person on a bicycle and the police didn't care!
YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Bicycle laws in Thailand?

Post by handdrummer »

The police don't care about Thais on bikes, no money there.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

What about drunk Farangs on bicycles then? Are they breaking any laws?
YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:16 pm What about drunk Farangs on bicycles then? Are they breaking any laws?
Try it and report back!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

There aren't any laws in the UK as far as I can see....... There'd be some in Thailand?!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

pharvey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 pm There aren't any laws in the UK as far as I can see....... There'd be some in Thailand?!
Look again. There are numerous laws in the UK covering bicycles and some with heavy fines to back them up.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I remember a friend, 35-40 years ago, get arrested in California for drunk and riding his bicycle
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

migrant wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 am I remember a friend, 35-40 years ago, get arrested in California for drunk and riding his bicycle
It is illegal where I'm from too, but I was curious about Thailand? Kind of nice to go around my neighborhood, Soi 88-94, and have a few beers and drinks and then cycle home, or even better use an electric bicycle if I could get one. But I guess if it is illegal it's not worth it.
YNWA
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Having cycled to many pubs over the years in a variety of countries, for a couple of beers, not heavy drinking, the law in most countries is that it's illegal to cycle drunk but it's not subject to breath testing, you have to be unable to control the bike. If you can't control a bike, it's virtually impossible to cycle anyway!
In Germany, beer mixed with lemonade is called 'radler' which literally means cyclist.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

huahin4ever wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 am

It is illegal where I'm from too, but I was curious about Thailand? Kind of nice to go around my neighborhood, Soi 88-94, and have a few beers and drinks and then cycle home, or even better use an electric bicycle if I could get one. But I guess if it is illegal it's not worth it.
Seems to me, riding an electric bicycle drunk, would still be operating a motorized vehicle drunk.

As for riding a regular bicycle drunk, please ensure someone posts a video, so we can all enjoy it. Lol
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I would guess that someone riding a bicycle demonstrably drunk could be reasonably accused of putting other road users at risk, which would constitute an offence. There are tales of people in the UK being stopped for drunk cycling but I am not sure how genuine they are. With no need for a license, tax, insurance etc. there aren't many sanctions that can be taken against a cyclist. When I'm going up a hill I probably weave like I'm pissed anyway!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 am
pharvey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 pm There aren't any laws in the UK as far as I can see....... There'd be some in Thailand?!
Look again. There are numerous laws in the UK covering bicycles and some with heavy fines to back them up.
I was being sarcastic HHTel - yes I know, the lowest form of wit... :oops:

I just have many grievances these days with cyclists who simply pay zero notice to the laws and zero respect to other road (or pavement! :cuss: ) users. They should by law have to licence/register their bikes (at a nominal cost) and wear a hi-viz jacket with a registration # so they can be identified with respect to any wrongdoing. The muppets who flaunt the law(s) cause problems for all cyclists.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 am
I was being sarcastic HHTel - yes I know, the lowest form of wit... :oops:

I just have many grievances these days with cyclists who simply pay zero notice to the laws and zero respect to other road (or pavement! :cuss: ) users. They should by law have to licence/register their bikes (at a nominal cost) and wear a hi-viz jacket with a registration # so they can be identified with respect to any wrongdoing. The muppets who flaunt the law(s) cause problems for all cyclists.

This is being discussed again in the UK since a 'fixed wheel' cyclist (they actually have no brakes) killed a pedestrian. There are laws to say bikes must have serviceable brakes and a bell (he had neither). He, believe it or not. is completely unrepentant and has exhibited the arrogant attitude of many cyclists everywhere. There is also no UK law to punish cyclist for killing someone other than some ancient 'reckless driving' law, and it does not have a stiff enough sentence.

If that's the situation in the UK, what chance stiff laws here?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm

I agree. In California we get great groups of cyclists that take up way more than the bike lane, and cause disruption to traffic, then curse you out as if you were a nazi if you complain. I've ridden bicycles all my life and have a proper (IMHO) handle on not only the laws, but the courtesies that go with riding. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I live in an area with a golf course in the middle of everything and a 7km ring road going around it. In the cool mornings and evenings you would think bicycles own the road, no regard for motor vehicles whatsoever, and they do indeed get an attitude when you gently try to push them over by whizzing your side mirror close to them, or beeping the horn gently. The same with walkers and joggers. There is a nice wide blacktopped sidewalk path 7km around as well, where do people walk and run, in the middle of the damn road! :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source