Petition to stop under age children to drive to school in cars or big bikes in Thailand.

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Petition to stop under age children to drive to school in cars or big bikes in Thailand.

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm asking a question of forum users, is this petition worthy of support? I'm not asking if it will have any effect.

It's to the Minister of Education asking education in schools in city areas (not rural) to try to prevent under-aged children from riding motorbikes and driving cars to school. It seems worth signing.

https://www.change.org/p/to-the-ministe ... %3Acontrol
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Petition to stop under age children to drive to school in cars or big bikes in Thailand.

Post by handdrummer »

Unless the police enforce it we're just pissing into the wind.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Petition to stop under age children to drive to school in cars or big bikes in Thailand.

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm asking forum users if they consider it's worth raising a voice, whether if it has any direct/immediate effect or not.

If so then it's worth sharing the petition.

Pissing into the wind can have negative impact. I don't think this does.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously the subject is one that concerns most of us, and I guess most of us see it daily regarding bikes. As for pick-ups, I guess some of the crazy driving could be down to kids, but I don't see the driver through the tinted glass.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This is all about the safety of Thai children so obviously the police will raise themselves from their usual indifference to the traffic laws and rigorously enforce this one---- LOL< LOL< LOL< LOL< LOL
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

For one it is not schools responsibility to teach children to obey the law, this is parents responsibly.

While the petition is worthy it is far to rambling and unfocused to get anyone's attention
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The schools should also do their bit. Many times I see the teachers, no helmets, meet these kids driving bikes, also no helmets
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But that is because there is no respect for law at all in Thailand. Parents only raise their children to bow down, say wai to photographs and statues and so on.

Could the petition work, possibly if it was wrote better, however I think it is highly unlikely to get anywhere.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:30 pm But that is because there is no respect for law at all in Thailand. Parents only raise their children to bow down, say wai to photographs and statues and so on.

Could the petition work, possibly if it was wrote better, however I think it is highly unlikely to get anywhere.
Good point, thanks. I think the writer doesn't have English as a first language, and also has not given the petition any structure. I signed anyway, good luck to him.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree that schools should try to do more, but I also realize that they would for the most part be fighting a losing battle unless parents were willing to actually show some proof that the do have genuine love for their kids.

How can any parent honestly say they love their children, and yet they actually encourage their kids to engage in potentially deadly behavior. A 12 or 13 year old child, in the overwhelming majority of cases, simply isn't mentally mature enough to be riding motorbikes or cars on the road, and particularly in a place like Thailand where they know that they can do virtually anything they want.

If you are allowing an underage kids to ride around on a motorbike or in a car, then I am sorry, but you have a strange way of demonstrating your love, or alternatively, they could possibly be something wrong with your wiring.

When I was growing up, if an underage or unlicensed kid got caught on the roads, the law provided two options. Either the parents would take the fall by confessing that they had handed over the keys, or the child would be charged for the theft of a motorbike or motor vehicle.

Kids who were legally allowed to ride 50cc motorbikes to school, would also have to provide the school with a copy of their license, and were never allowed to enter school property on a motorbike without a helmet.

The problem here is that schools don't care, and many parents care even less.

I also can't understand why this petition singles out cars and "BIG" bikes, when 99.9% of motorbike deaths are related to small bikes.

Anyway, whichever official receives this petition, my guess is his response will be, if you are not happy with the way we do things here, then go home.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 am How can any parent honestly say they love their children, and yet they actually encourage their kids to engage in potentially deadly behavior.
And if the alternative is 'don't go to school'? Miss out on your school certificate and end up working behind a hotel reception desk for life.
also can't understand why this petition singles out cars and "BIG" bikes, when 99.9% of motorbike deaths are related to small bikes.
I fully agree, the worst scares I get on the road are skinny teenagers in a white shirt on a small bike almost literally flying past me and weaving between me and the car in front. In the rain, even.

I feel so sad when an image of his bloody body laying on the tarmac comes into my mind unbidden. Youth knows no fear, and even blocks understanding of the danger of risk. In fact taking risk is hardwired into the brain of young boys. Police/schools/parents all need to play a part in education, but even then boys will be boys.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pmAnd if the alternative is 'don't go to school'? Miss out on your school certificate and end up working behind a hotel reception desk for life.
A university degree is often required for that!
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pmAnd if the alternative is 'don't go to school'? Miss out on your school certificate and end up working behind a hotel reception desk for life.
A university degree is often required for that!
Yes in fact you're right, even just to be supervisor.