Poor choice of dashcams on Lazada!

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Poor choice of dashcams on Lazada!

Post by VincentD »

BB, don't forget that signboards are typically fixed, and quite large so should be legible. number plates are on another (moving) vehicle, so there is inherent blurring. This is also where a good aperture on the camera is important, as is the recording speed AND your SD card capability. You will need at least a class 10 card.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, my cards are not class 10 or anywhere near that. I was sold run of the mill SD cards when I bought the cameras, and have used them ever since. I'll see how the Go Pro comparison goes. If Go Pro gives similar results, I'll consider a better class of card.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Cheers. I'll check my footage tomorrow and see how well the recordings have come out, both day and night.
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 pm ... On the other hand I want wifi, and would like GPS. Not all cams have both. GOOD WDR is useful too (some cams seem to boast it but actually don't really have it). And I think G-sensor is not actually full 'parking mode' (i.e. constant time lapse capture).
These options will drive the price range through the roof, and really how often would you need to actually use wifi? I just pop the SD card out and copy the lot into the laptop with a SD card adapter. (Unless of course the dashcam has no in-built screen, so this becomes a necessity when it comes to setting things up and such). And the space behind the rearview mirror is already occupied. The advantage of having one with a screen just under the mirror is that you can always pivot the thing in the direction of that annoying police bloke in your side window and make sure he knows he'll be on YouTube later that evening..
As far as GPS goes, there are times when I prefer not to have pinpoint accuracy, but try and buy a phone these days that does not have gps? I can still track my wife's old handset even though her brother now has it..

Last, but not least, is that if someone decided to nick the thing, an average priced one won't hurt your sense of loss as much.
All very good points, thanks. :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm I will do a Go Pro/Dashcam comparison, and post the results here. I will use the short Market Village to Soi 88 stretch - there are always cars on that stretch.
That will be interesting. Not sure if you venture out at night also, different cams can have totally different results day or night. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My cam is excellent (or I thought it was) during the day, but not so good at night, although it was used for a night time accident (I wasn't driving), and it was fine for insurance/police. At the end of the day, you need megga-quality for hit and run, and nothing else as far as I can think.

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Okay been looking through some recorded footage, both night and day. As expected, at night there is inherent movement blurring with tail lights and as such, number plates. This is the nature of the beast when using WDR, so you get a composite overall brightness that sacrifices clarity of the shot.

Daytime video, however, was surprisingly clear, multiple number plates in traffic (with movement), even the side logo of those minivans passing in front of a T-junction, albeit at a slow speed. Dutifully impressed with it.

404CJ, if you're looking for a front-only dash cam, PeopleFu also have a similarly spec'd one for less than what I paid for the front/back combo.
The girl in the shop said, yes, they're made in China (I mean, who doesn't these days?) but they are to this company's specs, and this dashcam is only sold by this company. Not a rebranded clone.

Side note: As far as my use of GPS goes, I have a dedicated offline GPS navigation app (Sygic) loaded on my phone. The other GPS I have is a tracker/locator in the bowels of the car that can call my mobile if any door is opened, and I can disable the ignition from my cell phone.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't suppose many of you could sleep last night in anticipation of my comparison video. Basically, I don't see any need to rush out and change my current dashcams soon.

cameljockey, if your dashcam is majorly different in terms of video quality, I'd be grateful if you could post a sample clip please.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If anything, I’d say the dash cam clarity was better than the GoPro which looked a little misty? One thing about the GoPro was that it had a wider field of view than the dash cam
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB the dashcam video is a bit 'choppy' and the angle of view not as wide as the gopro, but acceptable quality.

As I said, I would not have changed my dashcam if not for the fact that it wasn't keeping the date and time properly. Have since taken it apart and replaced the internal battery with a spare bought in Klong Thom for around 100 Baht..
Most shops will just try and sell you a new one.
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I think the dashcam is not window mounted at it shakes quite a bit, but clarity and contrast are better than the GoPro. It's difficult to get a full idea of clarity from uploaded clips, even in HD.

Obvs you're right BB, if it's not broken, don't fix it. You're happy and that's fine. :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 pm cameljockey, if your dashcam is majorly different in terms of video quality, I'd be grateful if you could post a sample clip please.
As I said, I don't have one yet. But it will be delivered on 1st December!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm 404CJ, if you're looking for a front-only dash cam, PeopleFu also have a similarly spec'd one for less than what I paid for the front/back combo.
The girl in the shop said, yes, they're made in China (I mean, who doesn't these days?) but they are to this company's specs, and this dashcam is only sold by this company. Not a rebranded clone.
Thanks, this morning I got off the pot and ordered the DDPai M6 Plus from Amazon, THB 4500. Add THB 700 shipping and THB 700 max for import duty so it's not so bad I guess, and a 64GB class 10 SD card thrown in free as well (Sandisk I'm afraid, but will see how long it lasts).
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 pm Thanks, this morning I got off the pot and ordered the DDPai M6 Plus from Amazon...
Amazing how some actions tend to clear your mind and goad you into action.. :lach:
Good buy, good price. Enjoy when it comes. Don't forget a seperate battery pack so you will be able to use the time-lapse recording.

I'm enjoying my latest acquisition from Amazon, a proper radar detector (but without the gps function), cost me over 200 USD :roll: but works as advertised
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:56 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 pm Thanks, this morning I got off the pot and ordered the DDPai M6 Plus from Amazon...
Amazing how some actions tend to clear your mind and goad you into action.. :lach:
Good buy, good price. Enjoy when it comes. Don't forget a separate battery pack so you will be able to use the time-lapse recording.

I'm enjoying my latest acquisition from Amazon, a proper radar detector (but without the gps function), cost me over 200 USD :roll: but works as advertised
I may not leave it in the car when parked because I worry about the SD card frying in over 40 C heat.

Radar detection, nice. But do you live in Thailand, Vincent? I wouldn't have thought that's a major worry here. :D