2018 Rolls-Royce

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

2018 Rolls-Royce

Post by johnjar »

What a beautiful example of British engineering :)

RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: 2018 Rolls-Royce

Post by RCer »

Perfect for runs to MV.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

My uncle had a Silver Cloud in the late 60s. He sometimes used to stop at the bus stop I was waiting for a bus at and I'd hop in (my side of the family were pretty poor). Made me feel top of the world for a few minutes. :D

He and my dad drove it down through Europe and across North Africa on a months long tour of their WWII places. Heads turned! Bless RR.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 pm What a beautiful example of British engineering :)

I thought it was German engineering now - isn't the company owned by BMW?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes, Jamjar. As I said in the other thread, it's not British engineering any more. Wholly owned by BMW ag (Germany) who have supplied the engines for years now.
It used to be a proud part of British manufacturing but, sadly, no more.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

So it's no good any more?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:49 am
The latest Phantom is described by many leading motor critics as “the best care in the world” but at a starting price of nearly £400,000 and with specific personalisation that can become near £1 million, I guess there isn’t too much competition.

As for the car, it may have German investment but it is still built in England albeit with BMW engines, but the CEO of Rolls Royce (a German) states,

“Luxury car-maker Rolls-Royce has committed to manufacturing its vehicles in the UK despite Brexit, with the company’s boss saying “Britishness is in our DNA”.

Speaking as the business reported the second-best sales figures in its 113-year history, selling 4,011 cars worldwide in 2016, chief executive Torsten Müller-Ötvös pledged Rolls-Royce would remain true to its roots.

“We are committed to our location in Great Britain - I can’t currently imagine that we would move production somewhere else because Rolls-Royce is British to the max,” said the boss of the car maker which is based in Goodwood, West Sussex, but is owned by Germany’s BMW.

It is the British icon for high-end luxury and for that reason we are committed here to the UK. Rolls-Royce is a fundamental part of Britain and the brand belongs to Britain.
Britishness - if I may say so as a German - is part of the DNA of the brand and is part of the international success story of Rolls-Royce and for that reason we are committed to Goodwood.”

He said that since BMW purchased the Rolls-Royce marque almost 20 years ago, the parent has invested hundreds of millions of pounds in a new factory at Goodwood - with rival VW taking on the historic Crewe plant where it builds Bentley cars. BMW has also financed huge investments in new technology, designs and a logistics centre, also in Sussex.

These investments underlined Rolls-Royce’s commitment to Britain, where it employs about 1,500 staff, Mr Müller-Ötvös added.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:49 am
Not what I meant. Of course it's an exceptional car, just not truly British any more.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHtel The Rolls-Royce always has been, always will be a truly British, and exceptional car.

Side Note..The Spitfire w/ Rolls-Royce Merlin Engine won the battle of Britain :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Historically, I would agree with you. But BMW have been supplying the engines and other components to both Rolls Royce and Bentley (now owned by VW who now use their own engines). For the last 20 years it's been wholly owned by BMW while VW own Bentley. Still an outstanding car but less and less of it is British made.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm Historically, I would agree with you. But BMW have been supplying the engines and other components to both Rolls Royce and Bentley (now owned by VW who now use their own engines). For the last 20 years it's been wholly owned by BMW while VW own Bentley. Still an outstanding car but less and less of it is British made.
Be that as it may. Regardless of where in Europe the parts come from , they are made to the same exacting standard of the Rolls-Royse legacy which is recognized the world over , and assembled on British soil to the same exacting standard to boot :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ok, I give in. You are an individual who will NEVER change their view regardless of the evidence. You sure you're not Thai and worried about 'losing face'.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 pm Ok, I give in. You are an individual who will NEVER change their view regardless of the evidence. You sure you're not Thai and worried about 'losing face'.
No. He's a troll. Replying only encourages them.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

johnjar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:53 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Be that as it may. Regardless of where in Europe the parts come from , they are made to the same exacting standard of the Rolls-Royse legacy which is recognized the world over , and assembled on British soil to the same exacting standard to boot :)
It's still have his high class, but unfortunately now it's at Hitler's garage.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The 'Jonjar wrote:' and 'HHTel wrote:' came out wrong there!