Hua Hin parking

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Hua Hin parking

Post by migrant »

We were in HH recently and was looking for parking on Poonsuk. This was in the evening and we found a part of the road wide enough to park on the side. The storefront we parked in front of was closed, I don't like to block the entrance.

Well, sure enough, when we returned (after about an hour) the bar was open. A Thai guy came over and complained we were blocking his bar. He asked how long we were there and told us he had called the police.

OK, I'm an easy going guy, and this is Thailand, but I don't respond well to threats but gave it a try and apologized for blocking, saying it was closed when we got there, and he immediately said "Mai Pen Rai" and all was well.

I know we, in the past, have had posts where merchants have been violent when you parked in front of their shops, but I was curious if there is a law, or ordinance, against it or he was using the cops in case we refused to move, either as a bluff, or a paid for service. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin parking

Post by Big Boy »

It actually amazes me when they get stroppy, when you see the way many Thais park.

Surely, when they buy/rent a property you have bought/rented to the front door in these shop houses. Thai businesses seem to think they have rights on the pavement and often the road, and use it. A pet peeve of mine is a house on the corner of the Soi where I live. Every afternoon/evening they have started selling meatballs. They started by extending one umbrella width. They have now expanded to 2 umbrella widths.

This creates a chicane on the fairly busy road, and it'a real pain trying to pull out from my Soi, because I can't see anything to left. Of course, it doesn't happen until mid-afternoon, when the bib have stopped working for the day. The entrance to my Soi is often blocked by people stopping to buy meatballs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Simple, "me first", top to bottom from the General down!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

A Dutch guy (maybe Belgian but I don't think so) was shouting at me after I parked in front of his closed bar a couple of times to drink in the one next door, from say 11.00 until 13.00h when I left. Seems he opens at 13.00 (he says), so I said ok, sorry, but no harm done then, but he wouldn't be placated until I started to get annoyed then he shrugged and half-smiled. Some people.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder why we pay taxes for the use of these roads.

Points 41; Position 18
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Do you pay taxes?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course I pay my Road Tax and I pay VAT. My Income Tax is collected at source in the UK.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's not the first time I have moved plastic chairs in order to park in the town. "You can't park there". "I'm sorry but I can. The road doesn't belong to you!". I do make sure that I keep the car in sight in case of some random 'keying'. I try not to upset people but sometimes it's the only way.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ah, parking in Hua Hin. Probably my second biggest problem with living in Thailand behind the climate. The two are related of course because I don't mind parking far from something and walking if I'm not completely soaked in sweat by the time I get there. I now frequently park in the far end of a huge half empty parking lot and walk a few hundred meters just for the exercise... :P :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm Of course I pay my Road Tax and I pay VAT. My Income Tax is collected at source in the UK.
You forgot one....farung tax! :D
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It really highlights how HH has changed over the years. 15 years ago, I could drive into town and park pretty much anywhere, day or night. Now, even a bike has problems parking in some parts of town!