Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by usual suspect »

Bluport...Pedestrian crossing at the front of it, red lights, two guards who step out into the road blowing whistles..
AND THE CARS STILL WILL NOT STOP!
I witnessed a very near fatal incident 3 weeks ago, & yesterday as I passed the crossing the guys in their Santa outfits were just stepping into the road blowing their whistles as the red lights were due to come on, & Xmas shoppers about to cross (2 seconds left on green).
But to my amazement EIGHT cars kept on speeding thru' the red light & past these guys frantically blowing away!
(I pulled over to count the cars as they sped past)
There is a footbridge, so please, please use it.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Big Boy »

That crossing is a complete farce. The same Santas start blowing their whistle at cars to encourage them to go through red lights. I ignore the Santas and obey the lights.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Two worst in my opinion, Market Village & Bangkok hospital, very few cars and just about no motorbikes stop at either. Crossing at either is taking your life in your hands
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Quite right BB. So do I. It's a shame we seem to be in the minority.
The 2 whistle blowers are more of a danger than a help!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:02 pm Two worst in my opinion, Market Village & Bangkok hospital
I understand what you're saying about Bangkok Hospital, but at least there's nobody in pantomime outfits there encouraging you to do the wrong thing.

Market Village, now that does confuse me. I don't even consider that an official crossing, and often far too dangerous to give way to pedestrians. I will only give way to pedestrians there if I am 110% sure there aren't any motorcyclists there, and no cars racing down the other lane. I approach with caution, and if somebody steps out, I have time to stop. Otherwise I just go straight past them.

This is contrary to everything I was taught when learning to drive in the UK, but you didn't have the brainless idiot motorcyclists to contend with coming down the blindside of a big truck.

Talking of dangerous pedestrian crossings, whatever happened to the revolutionary new 3.2M Baht crossing at the bottom of the Night Market? The bulbs are still in place I think, but the crossing reminds of the story of the king with no clothes. A complete farce.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The night market crossing was worthwhile for somebody, I expect.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I went to the Imm Office at Bluport a month or so ago. Got off the songthaew at the crossing. There wasn't a car in sight on the southbound carriageway but the little man on the traffic light was red.
I started crossing and one of the young guys started blowing his whistle at me at pointing at the red man.
Think I shouted something at him along the lines of "stop being a fascist, there's nothing coming" but dutifully took a couple of paces back and waited for the all clear. He thanked me as I crossed over.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well, strangely enough, Thailand, like many other countries have laws regarding jaywalking. It's is technically illegal and carries a fine. Of course, it's rarely enforced in Thailand but fines have been dished out in BKK.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It probably does, but having somebody dressed in a Santa suit blowing a whistle at me would have made me see red, literally.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

HHTel wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:14 pm Well, strangely enough, Thailand, like many other countries have laws regarding jaywalking. It's is technically illegal and carries a fine. Of course, it's rarely enforced in Thailand but fines have been dished out in BKK.
I was going to mention jaywalking. Didn't realise there was a law about it over here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I remember when visiting Canada one year. I was with a friend walking back to his car late at night, we came to a crossing at a traffic light, looking all 4 ways there were no lights to be seen for hundreds of yards in any direction. I started to cross and he scolded me and we stood there waiting for the lights to change. That's not Canadian, was his comment.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:14 pm Well, strangely enough, Thailand, like many other countries have laws regarding jaywalking. It's is technically illegal and carries a fine. Of course, it's rarely enforced in Thailand but fines have been dished out in BKK.

So technically it is illegal to cross roads here other than by means of a foot bridge. :wink:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Laws in Thai are like the 10 commandments in Christianity--statements of how things would be in a perfect society.
But in real life --------
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Title 13 of the Road Traffic Act (Pedestrians)

Section 103 - 110
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If you are knocked down on the crossing at BKK Hospital--there is bad news and good news-- Bad news, you have sustained terrible injuries--Good news--- You are 50m from the E.R.