Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by HHTel »

But before they save your life, they'd need to know who is paying the bill!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

oh yes part of the resuscitation pricess is a walletectomy.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 am If you are knocked down on the crossing at BKK Hospital--there is bad news and good news-- Bad news, you have sustained terrible injuries--Good news--- You are 50m from the E.R.
Only if you still have any money in your wallet.............
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 am Laws in Thai are like the 10 commandments in Christianity--statements of how things would be in a perfect society.
But in real life --------
Just like the 5 precepts of Buddhism, what a joke in Ting Tong Land
1.I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing.
2.I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
3.I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct.
4.I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
5.I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

Off topic I know
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

While there are undoubtedly plenty of people who just blast through these crossings thinking "red light doesn't count for me", there's an altogether bigger problem... When the traffic is light you see some of the cars coming through at high speeds, making stopping for the traffic lights once they've been noticed a very difficult preposition. And why? Because it's a highway - that's why! You don't expect to see pedestrian crossings in the middle of a highway. The only time you generally tend to find traffic lights on highways are at junctions; and junctions are usually signposted well in advance. Are there any signposts indicating that there are traffic lights coming up? No.

In the first couple of months after the Bluport lights went up, even knowing they were there, I would sometimes get caught out by them and be put into a situation where I had to either brake heavily or simply run the red light (depending on what was behind me and if there was anybody on the crossing); so what hope would a down-for-the-weekend or even a passing-through-hua-hin-on-the-way-to-somewhere-else driver have?

The biggest problem is that these crossing lights provide a false sense of security to unsuspecting tourists, and I can't help but wonder if they create more problems than they solve. There have been a number of incidents at the BluPort one, and I just feel that if lights hadn't been there then people would have either used the footbridge, or been far more cautious crossing the highway in the first place.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

people only use the footbridge if it ends exactly in front of where they want to go. not many use the footbridge near market village, so there's enough blame and lack of responsibility to go around.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by hhinner »

Pleng wrote:While there are undoubtedly plenty of people who just blast through these crossings thinking "red light doesn't count for me", there's an altogether bigger problem... When the traffic is light you see some of the cars coming through at high speeds, making stopping for the traffic lights once they've been noticed a very difficult preposition. And why? Because it's a highway - that's why! You don't expect to see pedestrian crossings in the middle of a highway. The only time you generally tend to find traffic lights on highways are at junctions; and junctions are usually signposted well in advance. Are there any signposts indicating that there are traffic lights coming up? No.

In the first couple of months after the Bluport lights went up, even knowing they were there, I would sometimes get caught out by them and be put into a situation where I had to either brake heavily or simply run the red light (depending on what was behind me and if there was anybody on the crossing); so what hope would a down-for-the-weekend or even a passing-through-hua-hin-on-the-way-to-somewhere-else driver have?

The biggest problem is that these crossing lights provide a false sense of security to unsuspecting tourists, and I can't help but wonder if they create more problems than they solve. There have been a number of incidents at the BluPort one, and I just feel that if lights hadn't been there then people would have either used the footbridge, or been far more cautious crossing the highway in the first place.
So this should be a money maker for the traffic "police". What's the speed limit? 50 or 60 around there. Enforce the limit and stopping wouldn't be a problem. Even mild speed bumps 100 metres before the crossing would slow the speeders down.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do you really think, if people can't see traffic lights hung well above the road that they'll notice speed bumps on the road before they feel them? Didn't we have a thread on here a while ago stating in more modern cars, if you go fast enough, you don't notice speed bumps?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Depends on the style of speed bump. Use other traffic calming measures if necessary. Either have cars speeding though town or have proper speed limit enforcement. Or make the road impossible to speed on.

They could also put safety cameras on the lights - to catch speeding or jumping the red or both.

The whole stretch of Phetchkasem from Makro in the North to Soi 112 (?) in the South is a 60 and 50 limits, but it's not enforced. Speed cameras would make a fortune.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

They'd rather spend millions on stupid PR stunts like the crossing by the market than use tried and tested enforcement and deterrence methods.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
You should go to Vietnam and learn how to cross a road without any pedestrian crossing and without any traffic lights.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

europtimiste wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
You should go to Vietnam and learn how to cross a road without any pedestrian crossing and without any traffic lights.
Do we already have the most stupid forum comment of 2018? Advocating jaywalking across Europe (and some western countries, lol).
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 am
europtimiste wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
Do we already have the most stupid forum comment of 2018? Advocating jaywalking across Europe (and some western countries, lol).
I know that Europtimiste’s input can be challenging at times although I fail to see how this is a ‘stupid’ comment. I’m also at a loss to see how it condones ‘jaywalking across Europe’.

The point is well made that road crossings, particularly in countries where rules of the road are generally abided by, can provide a false sense of security, especially for the current crop of “podestrians” who are glued to their smart phones.

I once spent a flight next to a risk assessor who worked for an insurance company. It was eye-opening to learn about the way humans assess risk and try to mitigate it.

Anyway, I believe Europtimiste has a valid point on this occasion and the derision is not warranted.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree with you JJB. Although it pains me to say so, Europrat's post was a sensible one!...... this time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I disagree with you both. Too say there is never any danger in crossing any road so long as you look is ludicrous. So why on earth are there pedestrian crossings (they are to focus drivers minds and/or stop the traffic)? So you really do believe they are a waste of taxpayers' money> Don't say 'yes, in Thailand', he's talking about Europe and whatever he means by 'and some western countries'.

I'm afraid there are many places in the world where it's necessary to stop the traffic before crossing. Ever been to the West End of London? Milan? Ummm, Tokyo? Even crossing Petchkasem Road at Soi 80 can be tricky at the weekend in flip flops (Crocs wearers can get squashed, I'm OK with that). And to say that everyone is watching their mobile while they cross is just beyond my understanding. It's just unthinking repetition of vague and factually unsupported grumpy old person assumptions.

"Take away the crossings to make people gamble with their lives, that'll wake them up..." *rolls eyes.

He is saying you should cross anywhere, ignoring the places which have been designated as the safest to cross. Yes, we all know that in Vietnam you practically close your eyes and walk slowly across allowing motorised road users to go around you, and that's not the best way, trust me.