Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Big Boy »

I disagree, Thailand needs a police force capable of enforcing the law, and handing out penalties that won't just buy a bottle of whisky, but deter re-offenders.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Agree. Thailand should establish a police force. Maybe more than one, but one would be a start.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Didn't I read a while back that they were going to 'outsource' some of the police powers to the local authority, such as traffic violations.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I might try and find out from my other half who works for The Mall group, although not at Bluport, but I believe that the lights and those at Bangkok Hospital have been provided by the companies themselves and as such it's possible they are not even formally recognised by the Police here. Seems crazy, but this is Thailand.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Surely a traffic light is a traffic light. If it's not recognised there should be notices warning that to use this facility could result in death.

Sorry caller, but even though probably correct, that has to be a ludicrous suggestion. Private traffic lights - maybe I'll erect one outside my house. :? What's the point if they're not recognised.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes they were paid for by the Mall Group but doesn't make them any less legal. The altered road system on the south side of the flyover was paid for by the Vana Nava owners but the roads are legal. Most of the elevated U-turns in BKK were paid for by private companies.
Sponsorship is not unique to Thailand, it happens in the west also, certainly in the UK.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I worry equally about the guys guiding pedestrians across the road at those points, even asking the traffic to stop. If someone dies because they make a bad call, where is the liability? They're not government appointed I guess? Yes TIT so asking about legal liability is often like 'making water into the wind', but....
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I make a point of taking no notice of them at all and obey the lights.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:02 pm I disagree, Thailand needs a police force capable of enforcing the law, and handing out penalties that won't just buy a bottle of whisky, but deter re-offenders.
No country can have a police officer at every crossing, so it cannot come down to police enforcement.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:02 pm I disagree, Thailand needs a police force capable of enforcing the law, and handing out penalties that won't just buy a bottle of whisky, but deter re-offenders.
No country can have a police officer at every crossing, so it cannot come down to police enforcement.
Clearly it’s not possible to have police on every corner, but if the police (of which there are plenty in Thailand) a) did their job properly and b) it was backed by effective deterrents (proper fines, penalty points, loss of license etc), the message would soon get through.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So that means the UK police are also crap and ineffective as there have been numerous hit and runs including on pedestrian crossing in the UK recently. Don't always blame the police, the population have something to do with it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:roll: Really?

We must live in different Thailands :?

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:So that means the UK police are also crap and ineffective as there have been numerous hit and runs including on pedestrian crossing in the UK recently. Don't always blame the police, the population have something to do with it.
I doubt there are any statistics available to compare driving infringements in the UK and Thailand, but it’s a safe bet that if the UK didn’t have effective deterrents in place, the incidence of infringement would be significantly higher than it is - as I type this I’m watching the UK Channel 5 “Traffic Cops” which shows the guys who break the rules, heaven knows what it would be like if there wasn’t effective counter measures in place - police in high powered cars, helicopters, ANPC cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

All of these threads about road safety have one major thing in common, Thai and numerous foreigners who see no need to comply with the law. This not only applies to roads but most things in life in Thailand, people feel they can do anything they want.
Yes there needs to be a competent police force, adequate penalties etc. but more so it needs education of the population so they become law abiding citizens.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's a bit of an extreme solution but when I lived in Jakarta about twenty years ago they forced people to use pedestrian bridges on some major roads by putting fences down the central reservations. There were some places where the quickest way of crossing a road was to get a taxi to the next U turn and back!