Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm There were some places where the quickest way of crossing a road was to get a taxi to the next U turn and back!
I've often joked about that with my wife when trying to cross the road in Pattaya.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree that it's not possible to have police at every crossing, traffic lights etc, but the police in the UK (for example) are a deterrent which is not the case in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Also, the penalties for getting caught in the UK are a deterrent. I remember laughing when I received my one proper Thai speeding fine - I think it was 400 Baht paid at the Post Office. That will not deter most people from doing it again.

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 pm Also, the penalties for getting caught in the UK are a deterrent. I remember laughing when I received my one proper Thai speeding fine - I think it was 400 Baht paid at the Post Office. That will not deter most people from doing it again.
Happened to me too, now not any more: I have a radar detector.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am I make a point of taking no notice of them at all and obey the lights.
Everywhere if a person is guiding pedestrians you have to obey him and not the lights. Here we have the robotic man of this forum.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am I make a point of taking no notice of them at all and obey the lights.
Everywhere if a person is guiding pedestrians you have to obey him and not the lights. Here we have the robotic man of this forum.
So if I put on a high-vis jacket and tell you to cross you'll do it?

Don't tempt me....
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm
europtimiste wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm
So if I put on a high-vis jacket and tell you to cross you'll do it?

Don't tempt me....
First I will look and use my brain and yes, I will cross.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

These people are not officials, just security from Bluport and have no authority. Try arguing with the police having gone through a red light using the excuse "But I was waved on".
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I asked my other half about the lights at Bluport and as known really, they were provided by the company for the convenience of their customers. The facility is then handed to the local municipality to run on an ongoing basis. However, if problems arise, they may then ask the company to pay to fix the problem. The Bluport staff are there essentially as defacto police officers to ensure traffic stops and that folk cross safely, as the real Police are not interested.

I can understand that to be honest. However, if it's apparent that the lights are being ignored on a regular basis I think at that stage most, including me, would expect some Police assistance, but that's because I come from somewhere where that's the norm.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 am The Bluport staff are there essentially as defacto police officers to ensure traffic stops and that folk cross safely, as the real Police are not interested.

I can understand that to be honest. However, if it's apparent that the lights are being ignored on a regular basis I think at that stage most, including me, would expect some Police assistance, but that's because I come from somewhere where that's the norm.
Could it be because the defacto police officers don't understand traffic lights and wave traffic through when the lights are red?

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:01 am Could it be because the defacto police officers don't understand traffic lights and wave traffic through when the lights are red?
I wasn't referring to their effectiveness or otherwise, just the fact they are there because the company realises there are issues and basically cannot call on the Police. I have personally reported their waving throught traffic on a red light when no-one is crossing to the management at Bluport, via their feedback forms that are scattered across the store. I received a phone call as a consequence.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - but nothing changes :)

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm LOL - but nothing changes :)
But why would it if I am the only one that bothers? They are not Police officers as every Thai and most expats know and can be ignored at will in any case.
Talk is cheap
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

We have construction of a new overhead pedestrian crossing at Market Village, with lifts I'm told. Not before time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, looks as though it will go straight into Pizza Co :D

Points 41; Position 18