Dangers of renting a motorbike

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jdc
Rookie
Rookie

Dangers of renting a motorbike

Post by jdc »

Here a month. Gonna rent a scooter to get from Cha am to HH. I am 70. Wife 66. But I've driven in ChiangMai. Fared OK. Wife screamed a lot. Latest readings suggest that this plan is a poor one. But I hate being without a set of wheels. Waddaya all think? Probably one ride a day...off to dinner...that kind of thing.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: danger or fear mongering?

Post by oakdale160 »

I ride a scooter and am VERY cautious. I would NOT ride on the road to or fromCha am at night. There is a strange problem in THai. I ride slowly and close to the gutter closely watching the traffic passing me on my right. The danger is other scooters coming towards me , riding in the wrong direction on the wrong side of the road and sometimes without lights.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Soi dogs will be a hazard also.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't ride a scooter on a month's holiday. It might be different if/when we move there and I had much more time to get a better "feel" for the traffic, you just don't get that in a month, plus you don't "know" the way around properly so you're concentration is split with watching the traffic and trying to work out where you need to turn left or right or where whatever soi actually is.

like the people above said.... the long dark road to/from Cha Am, night time, soi dogs... day time in and around central Hua Hin I would find hair raising enough, the added difficulties already mentioned would be a massive no no for me.

I've just been on the BUDGET car rental website and the smallest type of car (1.5 Toyota Vios) is not too bad. I think it was just over 17000 thb for 3 weeks. Or if you wanted something sturdier the pick up truck (Toyota Hilux Vigo 2.5) was even cheaper at just under 15000thb for 3 weeks. I found some slightly cheaper rental prices but not from any of the big international names.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Oh just to clarify...the pick up price above is for a 2 seater version of the pick up.... not the one with a proper back seats, that was a lot more expensive. The 15,000 baht one just has driver seat and passenger seat with a little luggage storage area behind the two seats. But the bit at the back (where the seats would be in a baht bus) is hard top.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

If you are want to rent a scooter it is probably best to limit yourself to daytime riding initially to get familiar with the area. Even after years here I avoid driving at night unless I have to. Taxi's are not expensive for evening excursions and if you want a drink with your meal they are a much safer option. The scooter for daytime use allows you to explore farther afield and although the main road is as dangerous as any there are more interesting options to get from Cha Am to Hua Hin such as the Klong Road.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

My husband and I have been riding our scooters since living here which is 7 years and we still won't ride it at night unless extreme necessity and we definitely not use the side roads like the Khlong or canal road at night as it is not safe during the day no problem
but then it is up to you if you feel confident enough ! not sure your wife would appreciate it !
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Make sure your Insurance covers you - too many appeals for people stuck in hospital after riding a scooter uninsured and having an accident, and can't afford vital treatment.

I've made my feelings known many times about people coming to Thailand, feeling they are above the law and hiring a scooter. I won't bother repeating them. If your wife screams regularly, I guess you fall into the bracket I've talked about.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I've been riding motorbikes of all kinds since 1970. I would not recommend it. There are plenty of Taxi type vehicles running around.

I like the Tuk-tuks.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

On top of that it is not exactly comfortable riding a scooter from Cha Am to Hua Hin and back
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Re: Dangers of renting a motorbike

Post by buksida »

Some sound advice above. If you have limited motorcycle experience don't do it. Hua Hin is a hellish place to ride, the traffic is horrendous and you will get pulled over multiple times and fined if you don't have a Thai license or the bike is the wrong colour.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 amMake sure your Insurance covers you...
There are 2 conditions to check. Does your insurance cover motorcycle accidents. If yes, does riding without a valid license void the coverage.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

I've been to Hua Hin many times, and like you, I hate to be without wheels. I live in the "suburbs", and it just wouldn't be feasible to call a Tuk Tuk every time I want to go somewhere. Therefore, I and my wife always rent a scooter. No that's not true, we rent two scooters.

It would be very bad if one of you got hurt but think of the disastrous situation you would be in if you both ended up at the hospital. Who would take care of all the practical things for example?

That said, would we go to Cha Am? Yes maybe once or twice in the daytime, of course absolutely sober. At night, maybe after dinner with some beers. Never!

A side note. If you're planning to go to Hua Hin more or less every day, why don't you stay in Hua Hin?
jdc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jdc »

Thanks, guys. I am going to modify my approach because of your input AND because hunger got the better part of the argument last night and gave us a quick lesson on the local flow. We jumped on and 'gave it a shot'. From Ch to HH and back with a stop at the Makro. Like idiots, we left at dusk and returned at deep night (not remembering exactly where we were headed). Summary? We were fine. But it was a bit nervewracking. Just a few screams. Chiang Mai is easier for some reason...maybe it is the pack you ride with there. Like a school of fish. Here? Well, it seemed the road was clear one minute and a melee the next.
Result? Figure out a way to tuk tuk around when going to HH. Continue to defy the odds while in 'hangin' in Cha am.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Glad you're ok and good decision.