Dangers of renting a motorbike

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jdc
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dangers of renting a motorbike

Post by jdc »

On a keeping-with-the-thread kinda tangent......we are staying at a Norwegian enclave north of where we ventured last night. A few miles north of Makro. I confess to being a smidge confused about where the hell Cha am is? Mind you my focus was mainly on the next vehicles most of the time. We drove down CANA road (spelling?) and dove over to the main drag for shopping. So, my question is: where is the restaurant concentration? You know, several good ones all in the same basic area? And how does one get a cab or tuk-tuk out to the enclave? Approximately how do the carriers charge? Tuk-tuk or cab? By the mile? If I did a five mile trip, what might that cost? Roughly? And where in Cha am is a pleasant place to hang out, have a beer, early, light dinner?
I also confess to not hesitating approaching a European to ask questions but, so far, the few I have approached sprechen se deutche only. The one lone Thai woman sitting in the dark on a scooter, on the other hand, spoke perfect English (to my wife).
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Basicly we find a lot of good restaurants in Cha-Am, for dinner no need to go Hua Hin for us. But sometimes visit Market Village we use the bus from cha-Am to Hua Hin, return. Very cheap. When return late we take a taxi.

For a beer in Cha-Am you have to visit "Soi busstation". When you ride Naratip to Viewpoint, go right, and the next Soi on right you there. Some bars, and also some restaurants nearby.

If you think you have to ride in night phetkasem on a motorbike 70 years old, wear your organ donation identity card. :thumb:

If you have questions about Cha-am, feel free to ask me.
Greets,
Phyton
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I think there might some confusion here over Cha-Am to Hua Hin.

You say you are staying a few miles north of Makro, by a few I'll assume 2 or 3 which puts you in Cha-Am district but still 11 miles south of Cha-Am town, you are actually much closer to Hua Hin than Cha-Am and from where you are staying you should not need to get on to the main Petchkasam Road (a six lane dual carriageway) but can use the Klong/Canal Road which is a four lane dual carriageway with a cycle path on the southbound carrigeway but is nowhere near as busy as the main Petchkasem Road.

Assuming you are staying somewhere near here (google maps https://goo.gl/maps/4URmp7JbaHH2) head south on the Canal Road and you'll come into the northern end of Hua Hin. Soi 6 (right or left at the second set of traffic lights you encounter) is probably the first place with lots of restaurants catering for both Thai and European tastes, someone who frequents that area might give actual recommendations. Turning left from the Canal Road (southbound) anywhere will take you to Petchkasem Road which leads directly to the centre of Hua Hin if you continue southbound on Petchkasem.

If you are staying approximately where I've indicated then a trip to Cha-Am on a motorbike is almost a pointless venture into danger. The Canal Road heading north doesn't go to Cha-Am directly, you still need to go on the six lane Petchkasem to get to Cha-Am or take a long detour via the bypass (which is only four lanes but full of big trucks) or using a lot of small roads of questionable quality and no signposts (not even in Thai).

Friday night on Petchkasem is the worst possible night as the Bangkokians arrive en-masse and, being released from their daily grind of Bangkok gridlock, they drive like there is no tomorrow, which will be true for many of them and also for many motorcyclists who get in their way.
Last edited by Frank Hovis on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

jdc wrote:On a keeping-with-the-thread kinda tangent......we are staying at a Norwegian enclave north of where we ventured last night. A few miles north of Makro. I confess to being a smidge confused about where the hell Cha am is? Mind you my focus was mainly on the next vehicles most of the time. We drove down CANA road (spelling?) and dove over to the main drag for shopping. So, my question is: where is the restaurant concentration? You know, several good ones all in the same basic area? And how does one get a cab or tuk-tuk out to the enclave? Approximately how do the carriers charge? Tuk-tuk or cab? By the mile? If I did a five mile trip, what might that cost? Roughly? And where in Cha am is a pleasant place to hang out, have a beer, early, light dinner?
I also confess to not hesitating approaching a European to ask questions but, so far, the few I have approached sprechen se deutche only. The one lone Thai woman sitting in the dark on a scooter, on the other hand, spoke perfect English (to my wife).
Sounds like you should be fairly close to the Sheraton Hotel, if so you are roughly half way between HH and CA. There are a number of decent restaurants in CA although number wise, there is greater variety in HH. Travelling towards CA from the Sheraton area is a restaurant that in English translates to the Steak House but it’s name is in Thai only (I’ll try to find the Thai name) that serves good food. From the Sheraton going towards CA, it’s about 7-8 Km’s on the left hand side - it’s a two storey, mainly wooden building and not easy to miss if you look out for it. The guy who owns it is called Mr Nu (sp?) he speaks good English and when he is there, also cooks very tasty food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
jdc wrote:On a keeping-with-the-thread kinda tangent......we are staying at a Norwegian enclave north of where we ventured last night. A few miles north of Makro. I confess to being a smidge confused about where the hell Cha am is? Mind you my focus was mainly on the next vehicles most of the time. We drove down CANA road (spelling?) and dove over to the main drag for shopping. So, my question is: where is the restaurant concentration? You know, several good ones all in the same basic area? And how does one get a cab or tuk-tuk out to the enclave? Approximately how do the carriers charge? Tuk-tuk or cab? By the mile? If I did a five mile trip, what might that cost? Roughly? And where in Cha am is a pleasant place to hang out, have a beer, early, light dinner?
Sounds like you should be fairly close to the Sheraton Hotel, if so you are roughly half way between HH and CA. There are a number of decent restaurants in CA although number wise, there is greater variety in HH. Travelling towards CA from the Sheraton area is a restaurant that in English translates to the Steak House but it’s name is in Thai only (I’ll try to find the Thai name) that serves good food. From the Sheraton going towards CA, it’s about 7-8 Km’s on the left hand side - it’s a two storey, mainly wooden building and not easy to miss if you look out for it. The guy who owns it is called Mr Nu (sp?) he speaks good English and when he is there, also cooks very tasty food

It’s called Naweng Steak and the coordinates are as follows
(12.7102845,99.9530198)

NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Can you not work your evening around getting the train into HH which is about B10 and is around 6pm then a taxi ( cheaper than Tuk tuck) home later?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

depending on where you're staying maybe also a possibility that you could take 1 scooter from the place where you're staying, then drive on the scooter to Petchkasem Road, park up the scooter there then hop on the baht bus to the center? You would have to remember though that the baht busses stop early(ish). Around 9pm if I am not mistaken. So it would mean early home or taxi to get back.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

jdc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm we are staying at a Norwegian enclave north of where we ventured last night. A few miles north of Makro. I confess to being a smidge confused about where the hell Cha am is?
is it Chan Tha Gardens you're staying by any chance ?
jdc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jdc »

Yes, MDMK, that is where we are. Good sleuthing. Visited Thaiitalia Pizza last night - just a short walk. It was good. Smidge light on the portions but very tasty and pretty good service from the single waiter. We'll go back. But it is not a 'fun' place hopping with people and lots of buzz. It was relatively quiet. I prefer quiet as a rule but a bit of hopping now and then is also good. If I don't hop once in a while, I feel all of 70. Man's gotta hop.
So, I have concluded from all your help that I am on the cusp of HH/Ch. I can go north or south but south on Canal road is safer...? Relatively.
I kinda like the 10baht train ride into HH. THAT makes sense. And my plan today was to go to Makro, find a tuk tuk, put my wife and weeks groceries in TT and follow it home. Take phone number for future trips. Make sense?
Yeah, I have my organ donor card ready but I pity the poor fool who gets my organs.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

jdc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 amAnd my plan today was to go to Makro, find a tuk tuk, put my wife and weeks groceries in TT and follow it home. Take phone number for future trips. Make sense?
Sounds like a good plan! Did you try the Tuk Tuk number I sent?