Authorities set to charge for car parking on public roads

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Authorities set to charge for car parking on public roads

Post by buksida »

The cabinet has approved a draft law on car parking management that would allow local administrative organisations to collect fees for parking on public roads, except in certain prohibited areas, government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said on Tuesday.

The decentralisation law in 1999 allowed tambon administrative organisations, municipalities and Pattaya City to regulate markets, piers and car parking spaces within their jurisdictions. However, the law on car parking in municipalities issued in 1960 was not amended accordingly, Lt Gen Sansern said.

The draft law that will also allow the local administrative organisations to make use of the additional income for local development, he added.

According to the draft, local administrative organisations can set regulations regarding parking for various categories of vehicles and the conditions for fees, fines and collection. They are also allowed to delegate implementation of these measures to private sector companies.

The fees and fines can be included in the budget of the local administrative organisations.

Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ar-parking

Thought: Party time for Hua Hin's police, maybe they'll leave the tourists on scooters alone.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Authorities set to charge for car parking on public roads

Post by Big Boy »

'Entrepreneurs' have been doing this around Hua Hin since 2012. If you park in certain areas, they come running out for a parking fee.

I was totally gobsmacked the first time I was asked for money. Of course, it worked , and I've never tried to park there since. Of course, it will have affected the business of the shop that I no longer shop at.

Many unofficial car parks are springing up around town where people are charging as well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

This will be entertaining to see.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Here's a pipe dream.
Charge vehicles a congestion fee for entering within a certain radius of the town centre. Install parking meters and have a dedicated, motivated force of people (and I don't mean the BIB) to hand out fines left, right and centre.
Oh yes, and make sure that people pay their fines.
As I said, a pipe dream but a good idea.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It will put the 'Entrepreneurs' out of business.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Install parking meters and have a dedicated, motivated force of people (and I don't mean the BIB)
Do you mean like this, Lumo:

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

More car parks will have to be built and motor bike parking will have to be organised.

Iomuamart's pipe dream is one of the reasons many of us come here. The private companies that enforce parking fines are what you may call over zealous.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you look around, car parks are appearing on every piece of waste ground possible - at least around the 88/94 area. All charging, and many of them empty.

TIT - double and treble parking are the norm.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lomuamart wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am Here's a pipe dream.
Charge vehicles a congestion fee for entering within a certain radius of the town centre. Install parking meters and have a dedicated, motivated force of people (and I don't mean the BIB) to hand out fines left, right and centre.
Oh yes, and make sure that people pay their fines.
As I said, a pipe dream but a good idea.
It would certainly solve traffic problems but there might be a danger of creating an upmarket ghetto of Bangkok Thais and wealthy expats with corresponding resentment from the local population.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Certain parts of Lopburi do have municipal parking controls, and they've been there for almost twenty years. Certain parts of Sa-kaeow circle and also around the market area. Cars are charged 2 baht, no time limit, and the parking ticket is usually placed under the windscreen wipers. No charge during weekends. The traffic wardens also direct parking and help push cars..
วินเชนท์