New Ford Ranger Raptor

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: New Ford Ranger Raptor

Post by STEVE G »

....my current Ford Ranger is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. I've had a few hired cars in Thailand, nothing has compared.
For driving in Thailand, these large heavy vehicles with high volume tires are a good ride on the potholed roads. We've got a four wheel drive Toyota pick up and a Honda car and the pick up is a much smoother ride.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must admit, I've not tried the new Toyota pick up.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm I must admit, I've not tried the new Toyota pick up.
I don't think there's much difference in the make of pick up, I've tried most of them and they feel pretty similar, it's the weight and size of them that gets rid of the potholes. I imagine that Raptor might be better for 1.5 million baht but it would need to be for that price!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ranger Raptor to make global debut

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... obal-debut

US carmaker Ford Motor Co is realising its vision of introducing a premium pickup in Asia-Pacific, unveiling the Ranger Raptor in Thailand on Wednesday.

Yukontorn Wisadkosin, president of Bangkok-based Ford Asean, said the Ranger Raptor is positioned in the high-end segment of pickups, which has been extended from its flagship F-150 in the US market.

"The new Ranger Raptor is another pickup for off-road purposes, setting a benchmark for factory-built performance in Asia-Pacific. Thailand and South Africa have been chosen to produce this pickup," she said.
"Thailand has been chosen for the pickup's global debut, which is set to be on sale later this year."

The Thai-made Ranger Raptor will be exported across Asean and Oceania, along with other pickups produced in the country, she said.

Ms Yukontorn said the Ranger Raptor will have a larger price tag than other high-end models -- the Ranger XLT, from 879,000 to 1.03 million baht, and the Wildtrak, from 955,000 to 1.2 million.

But she said Ford is not ready to disclose a local price for the vehicle, or when production of the Ranger Raptor will begin at its two facilities in Rayong.

Ms Yukontorn said Ford will try to make the Ranger Raptor subject to the excise tax for pickups, which is cheaper than the rate for pickup passenger vehicles.

Ford ranks third in Thailand's highly competitive pickup segment after Isuzu and Toyota, respectively.
Last year, sales of the Ranger increased 44.5% to 44,452 vehicles, representing 79.2% of Ford's total sales in Thailand.
Of those increased sales, 80% went to high-end Ranger models.

Thailand was also Ford's best-selling Ranger market globally.

In 2017, the Ranger also picked up three percentage points in market share year-on-year, reaching 12.2%.
For January, Ms Yukontorn said the vehicle's market share reached 13.9%, which will help the company maintain its third-place ranking in Thailand's pickup segment.

In Asia-Pacific, the Ranger achieved all-time record sales in 2017, cementing its place as a leader in the region's highly competitive mid-size pickup segment, with retail sales increasing 22% year-on-year to 134,100 vehicles.

The record year was also driven by record full-year Ranger sales in Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: RE: Re: New Ford Ranger Raptor

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 pm
huahin4ever wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am
handdrummer wrote:In the end it's still a Ford. I've owned several Ford vehicles and they were all crap. Never again.
So the new Everest is crap too? I started to like that one and is or was considering it to be my next vehicle, but if it is crap maybe I should just forget about it?
There aren't many 'larger' cars I haven't driven. I used to get 3 or 4 different hire cars a week with work. Apart from an irritating turbo problem that Ford refused to acknowledge for over a year, my current Ford Ranger is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. I've had a few hired cars in Thailand, nothing has compared.
I know that you are happy with your Ranger, but there is no way ANY vehicle with agricultural rear leaf springs can be classed as "comfortable". It is just not possible with a suspension that is built on 100 year old technology. It is the main reason that pickups are so popular in Thailand, as the tax rate is calulated around the fact that they are basically agricultural vehicles.

From what I have read the new Raptor is not in production yet, neither has a retail price been set. Ford are trying to have it classed on the same basis as the existing cars, but because it has a modern rear suspension, at the moment it will be classed in a higher tax bracket.

ps: If you would like to experience how an all round coil sprung car rides you are welcome to take my ancient Land Rover for a drive. :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually am very comfortable, and I've made some very long journeys. Maybe it's the added padding I have.

I am a funny beast, and have found a few top end vehicles very uncomfortable. A classic example was that I could drive my wife's little Ford Fiesta quite happily, but I could not even get into a Ford Scorpio. I was probably the hire company's biggest headache.

I hate all of the bullshit extras they include with 'top end' cars. It takes up too much space - space needed by me.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 am

ps: If you would like to experience how an all round coil sprung car rides you are welcome to take my ancient Land Rover for a drive. :thumb:
A very generous offer, but one quick question. "Will it start?" :D
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bluesky wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:29 pm
Nereus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 am

A very generous offer, but one quick question. "Will it start?" :D
With its new 3,500 Baht ****ing battery it had better!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am
handdrummer wrote:In the end it's still a Ford. I've owned several Ford vehicles and they were all crap. Never again.
So the new Everest is crap too? I started to like that one and is or was considering it to be my next vehicle, but if it is crap maybe I should just forget about it?
I don't know about the new Ford Everest, I'm just going by what I've experienced in the past. There are too many other vehicles available to take another chance with a Ford. A any rate I have no use for a large truck now and will stick with my 1994 Mercedes 190 with a rebuilt VTech engine.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I know that you are happy with your Ranger, but there is no way ANY vehicle with agricultural rear leaf springs can be classed as "comfortable". It is just not possible with a suspension that is built on 100 year old technology.
Coil springs have been around since 1906!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I never wrote that they were'nt! But they are not used on pick up trucks in Thailand!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm
I never wrote that they were'nt! But they are not used on pick up trucks in Thailand!
That's because you wouldn't be able to overload them as much with coil springs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ford begins pickup (Raptor) production
Auto & Audio July 05, 2018 16:57 By The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30349385

Ford has officially started production of the Ranger Raptor truck at its Ford Thailand Manufacturing factory in Rayong.

Ford's first high-speed, off-road performance truck built in Asia-Pacific was revealed at the 2018 Bangkok Motor Show in March where Ford began taking customer orders.

Deliveries are scheduled to start in August. Combining tough character and capability, the Ranger Raptor “is truly the ultimate Ranger. With its bold appearance and extreme, off-road performance features, it represents a new and distinctive breed of truck”, said Yukontorn Wisadkosin, president of Ford Asean.

The Ranger Raptor has a 2-litre, bi-turbo diesel engine, 10-speed transmission to deliver 213PS (157kW) of power and 500Nm of torque.

Built with increased ride height and a wider track, it includes standard front and rear Fox shock absorbers to improve ride and handling. It has a terrain management system and Watt’s linkage rear suspension with coilover rear springs for rear axle lateral stability when travelling at high speeds off-road.

The steering wheel has a magnesium paddle shifter and the vehicle has underbody protection to deflect off-road obstacles.

The new bash plate 2.3mm thick, high-strength steel.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

2018 Ford Ranger facelift: Thai prices and specs

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... -and-specs

Ford Thailand has rocked the local pickup industry with the introduction of the revised Ranger featuring a raft of class-leading technologies.

After seeing life in the dressed-up Raptor and facelifted Everest, Ford’s all-new 2.0-litre diesel-turbo and 10-speed automatic drivetrain is now available in the Ranger.

The downsized four-cylinder engine produces 213hp and 500Nm in twin-turbo form and 180hp and 420Nm in single-turbo guise. Both produce their maximum torque at 1,750Nm.(should read RPM)

This makes the Ranger the first pickup to have a model producing over 200hp, as well as featuring a gearbox with the most number of forward ratios. The outgoing 3.2-litre five-cylinder diesel-turbo has been discontinued due to reasons of CO2 emissions.

However, the 2.2-litre is still available with outputs of 160hp and 385Nm, the latter achieved from 1,600rpm. Gearbox options include six-speed manual or automatic.

Accompanying the mechanical update is a second facelift, as well as including more features like easy-lift tailgate, keyless entry and start, parking assist and automatic braking at low speeds in selected models.

The number of driver-assist tech in the Ranger has increased from four to six making it the most comprehensively equipped pickup around.

The Ranger is available in 20 grades in a variety of body styles including standard, single, double-cab and short wheelbase. Due to some extra features, prices have risen in some cases especially the Wildtrak model. The starting price remains unchanged at 559,000 baht.

The prices are as follows:
*Raptor: 1.699 million baht
*Wildtrak: 1.029-1.265 million baht
*Limited: 889,000 to 1.029 million baht
*XLT: 749,000-869,000 baht
*XLS: 659,000-789,000 baht
*XL: 559,000-799,000 baht
*SWB: 589,000-799,000 baht
2854022.jpg
2854022.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't always agree with this writers car tests, but this one seems to be a fair evaluation:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Ford Ranger Raptor 2.0 Bi-Turbo (2018) review

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/pickup ... w#cxrecs_s

The performance-oriented Ranger Raptor touches ground in a very neat manner. Should you really care?

What’s new?

Ford has become the first brand in Thailand to build a performance-oriented version of a pickup. Called Ranger Raptor, the double-cab is based on the regular Ranger featuring modifications made to the exterior, interior and chassis.

Notable changes on the skin include a more pronounced black grille, blown wheel arches and more rugged-looking bumpers and side steps.

The interior, meanwhile, sees sporty seats tailored with some suede and blue stitching, racy instrument panel and steering wheel with paddle-shifters.

Chassis upgrades consist of a stronger frame, coil spring rear suspension, all-round ventilated disc brakes, Fox dampers, BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres measuring 285/70 R17 and a raft of electronics aiding off-road ability.

Bar the unchanged wheelbase length, these alterations make the Ranger Raptor longer, wider, taller and heavier than the regular Ranger. The drivetrain, however, is the same: 213hp 2.0-litre bi-turbo diesel, 10-speed automatic and four-wheel drive.

Priced at 1.699 million baht, the Ranger Raptor is around half-a-million baht dearer than the Ranger Wildtrak. Is the price premium of the Ranger Raptor worthy?

What’s cool?

From nearly all angles, the Ranger Raptor looks bold, masculine and truly purpose-built. The same goes for the interior details such as the perforated leather on the steering and gear knob.

Ford is making noises about how well the Ranger Raptor performs off-road. They seem to be right after taming this pumped-up pickup at a closed dirt track. The increase ground clearance and optimised approach, ramp and departure angles all contribute to a confidence-inspiring drive. Also, the ride is supple and the electrically assisted steering is intuitive at most times.

There’s the so-called Baja mode that adjusts the chassis electronics in the most optimum manner. And when the Ranger Raptor becomes airborne after a rapid traverse over a sharp articulation, it goes on to land in such a smooth manner. There’s virtually no body movement and the rebound effect of the bespoke dampers is commendable.

On the sealed tarmac – the place potential buyers are mostly going to use the Ranger Raptor in Thailand – the road manners are surprisingly good. The all-terrain tyres are generally quiet at all times.
In fact, overall noise insulation is great inside when cruising, even when you put the diesel engine to work. Speaking of that, the weight penalty the Ranger Raptor carries doesn’t really blunt its performance in the real world.

The decision to install paddle-shifters for the 10-speed auto is a good thing in terms of usage which is something that should be extended to the regular Ranger.

What’s not?

While the design is mostly cool to look at, the Ranger Raptor looks a little out of proportion when viewed straight in the front or rear. It reminded some testers of the Tata Xenon. The stickers on the boot and rear fenders look comical, as well.

Although the wider tracks and more car-like rear suspension pay dividends in terms of stability, the primary ride can occasionally feel soft over undulating tarmac.

Performance isn’t an issue in real-world driving, but the details on paper say so: the Ranger Raptor has a higher CO2 level and fuel consumption than in the normal Ranger, plus a small dent in acceleration.

Lastly, there’s that hefty price premium (explained in the sidebar below) which practically represents an increase of one-third of what the Ranger Wildtrak asks for. Since the Ranger Raptor is already a pricey buy, it would have been great if it had more power (yep, Ford can do it) so that it can be a genuine range-topping pickup.

Buy or bye?

When it comes to off-road pedigree, no other pickup comes close to the Ranger Raptor. You can feel how all that extra engineering went into making it (developed by Ford Performance unit) very capable in the mud.

But whether you’re going to really get those wheels dirty is another thing. Most might suggest that 10/10 buyers will use the Ranger Raptor purely on the sealed tarmac, although this would certainly not be the case for the Australian Outback.

Objectively speaking, the Ranger Wildtrak already suffices with the same drivetrain and sufficient, if not equaling, visual aesthetics and off-road ability – all at a considerably lower price.

The Ranger Raptor isn’t about sensibility and probably wouldn’t be a first or second car in your garage. It’s all about emotions, a rich man’s toy, to put it bluntly.

TALKING POINT

There’s a reason why the Ford’s new dressed-up pickup commands a considerable half-a-million baht price premium over the Ranger Wildtrak.

It’s not just the upgraded parts that have upped the price of the Ranger Raptor to 1.699 million baht, but it’s also due to reasons of excise tax.

Like in the Everest SUV, the Ranger Raptor features the so-called Watts Linkage and coil-spring rear suspension. By Thai pickup rules, double-cabs fitted with rear leaf-spring suspension can enjoy a 10% rate if their CO2 outputs don’t exceed 200g/km (which is the case for regular Ranger).

However, the Ranger Raptor can’t attract that rate due to its more sophisticated suspension. And with more than 200g/km of that black soot at the tip of its exhaust pipe, the Ranger Raptor has to settle for the 17% rate applied on “other pickups” as defined by the Excise Department.

Which is why there might some debate regarding this issue. Stipulating what kind of technologies pickups should bear is kind of a hindrance to engineering. Car manufacturers usually evaluate customers’ needs and behavior during vehicle development.

It’s quite a known fact that users of double-cab pickups usually don’t carry big loads, unlike the single- and standard-cab whose leaf springs help cope with load.

Because of this, other types of suspension can offer more car-like road manners (read: better handling and driving safety), hence the Ranger Raptor’s matrix. In fact, the four-door Nissan Navara NP300 (and Mercedes-Benz X-Class and Renault Alaskan siblings) are sold in other markets with multi-link rear suspension.

It’s a bit ironic that this particular pickup reg is still being used, especially in a country that’s home to the world’s largest one-tonne pickup market. It’s like punishing makers with new technologies made to benefit consumers.
Raptor.jpg
Raptor.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 434 times