Hua Hin police to get tough on motorbike helmets

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin police to get tough on motorbike helmets

Post by hhinner »

^^ Only if there is an adult on board who might have a licence and maybe some money.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Is there a particular flavor of ice cream the bucket must come from? :D
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

RCer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 am Did they state what the definition of a helmet is?
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Cuffee.michael
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cuffee.michael »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 am Do all 4 or 5 riders on the bike have to wear helmets?
Ahahahah this is the funny part in fact.

Even out here in Bangkok, only the driver is reportedly supposed to wear a helmet.... Never understood this rule :tsk:

But we all know that if you have an accident, only the driver is at risks huh ? :D

Anyway, we are in Thailand... So let's respect the rules and keep our money.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Any rider, pillion or otherwise, is supposed/expected to wear a helmet. C.m, don't know where you get the idea that only the 'driver' is supposed to wear the helmet? Perhaps this assumption comes from taking the motorcycle taxis:
1. people (pillion) are too lazy to use one
2. they don't want to use one that has been used multiple times (though some provide a disposable cloth liner)
3. the m/c taxi does not provide, aka 'mai pen rai'.
4. the BIB don't enforce enough. This has changed a lot in Bangkok, but only on the main roads.

Btw all the forces (police, army, air force) used to issue uniformed helmets in the past. Don't know if they still do. You could tell what force they belonged to, and was part of the uniform. In fact, I do see some police patrols in my village who do use these standard issue helmets.

Note also that I do see a lot more people consciously wearing helmets, even with child-sized ones on their kids.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree there is some improvement in attitude. Wearing helmets on the main roads in BKK have been reasonably enforced for a while now.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the m/c taxis were being provided with a 'de-lousing' system for passengers helmets but I can't remember where.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Revenue collection from this scheme seems very active at the moment. Small numbers of BIB hiding around corners, with loads of people seemingly queuing up to contribute to the scheme.

I've come across several of these small traps around town over the last week or so.

It never fails to amaze me that payment of a little tea money gives your head a solid concrete protective coating, and makes it quite safe to continue your journey without a helmet :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Never fails to amaze me that these 'schemes' are only enforced with great zeal in tourist towns and not nationwide. Easy money.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

For me, the more of the idiots that stop using the same air as me, the better off the world will be!
But what REALLY gets me going is the completely brainless ones that insist on carrying their unprotected kids with them.

I have been using the Hin Lek Fai road over the hill just about everyday for the last week. Two days ago I was following a small scooter up the hill from the Temple side. There was one obese thing diving it and another one on the pillion holding a small kid. The bike finally stalled out and the passenger holding the kid jumped off the back. As I slowly passed the stalled bike guess what; the obese one had TWO more kids standing it front of her! Not ONE of them had a helmet.

For me it is no different to holding a loaded gun to a kids head, hoping it will not go off. :banghead:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Saw a policeman on one of those big bikes yesterday. Guy on a motorcycle passed by him going the wrong way, no helmet......think he stopped him?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you think it's bad now wait until more big bikes are on the road. I see that Honda, Kawasaki and Ducati have show rooms between Hua Hin and Cha Am.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

handdrummer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am If you think it's bad now wait until more big bikes are on the road. I see that Honda, Kawasaki and Ducati have show rooms between Hua Hin and Cha Am.
What is bad about that? People who ride what you call “big bikes” are very likely to use crash helmets as they are more knowledgable about riding motorcycles.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin police to get tough on motorbike helmets

Post by huahin4ever »

Felipesed1 wrote:
handdrummer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am If you think it's bad now wait until more big bikes are on the road. I see that Honda, Kawasaki and Ducati have show rooms between Hua Hin and Cha Am.
What is bad about that? People who ride what you call “big bikes” are very likely to use crash helmets as they are more knowledgable about riding motorcycles.
Couldn't agree more! I myself ride a big bike, and I never go out riding without my proper riding helmet. Not always true when I go on short trips on my scooter though ImageImage

Sent fra min SM-T825Y via Tapatalk

YNWA
buksida

Post by buksida »

Felipesed1 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 am What is bad about that? People who ride what you call “big bikes” are very likely to use crash helmets as they are more knowledgable about riding motorcycles.
:agree:

You rarely see 'big bikes' pulling dodgy u-turns, or riding up the wrong side of the street, or talking on the phone while riding, or carrying a baby. Its the Fino crew that are the dangers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm not including foreigners in my comments. I assume you'll can ride. However, I guess you haven't seen the Thai motorcyclists roaring up and Petchkasem road north of Soi 2. They greatly exceed the speed limit, weave in and out of traffic and present a danger to other drivers. Helmets don't compensate for dangerous driving, but they do look cool in their leathers.