Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Post by Ginjaninja »

Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a four-wheeler in Thailand... :roll:

I want something safe for my girlfriend and potentially GN-junior in the near future.
My knowledge of cars is very poor however recently I was given a lift by a Pajero driver and was most impressed with the safety functions onboard.
Is bigger better? Not keen on a pick-up so thinking 4x4 or SUV.....

All New Pajero Sport - Advanced Safety : FCM - Forward Collision Mitigation System

Appreciate any advice from forum members and also an idea of new costs for any vehicle you recommend.

:cheers:
GN.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Post by RCer »

We're looking at the Mazda CX 5 or smaller CX 3.

Huge safety features on both.

Problem with the bigger SUVs like Fortuner is traffic and parking.

Plus, if your wife is Thai, she's likely short. So driving safely is a big issue.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ginjaninja wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:24 pm Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a four-wheeler in Thailand... :roll:

I want something safe for my girlfriend and potentially GN-junior in the near future.
My knowledge of cars is very poor however recently I was given a lift by a Pajero driver and was most impressed with the safety functions onboard.
Is bigger better? Not keen on a pick-up so thinking 4x4 or SUV.....

All New Pajero Sport - Advanced Safety : FCM - Forward Collision Mitigation System

Appreciate any advice from forum members and also an idea of new costs for any vehicle you recommend.

GN.
Is this to be driven by your g/f or just as a passenger? I drive a Pajero Sport so I am somewhat biased, but it does have better safety functions than most of the 4x4 type vehicles. My wife doesn’t like driving it though as she finds it too big - I really like it though and appreciate the built-in safety features although I hope never to have to put them to the test. Unless money is no object (in which case I would recommend a Volvo), I’m sure the Pajero would be a good choice.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Forgot to add, big motor show in BKK at the end of the month. Good deals to be had there.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thank you Rcer, we will definitely try a test-drive of the Madza.

Dannie Boy, my partner will be the main driver so yeah she needs to be comfortable driving it.
I will pay more if I think I'm getting superior safety however 2M is probably about my max at the moment.

She has just told me the Range Rover Evoque is her favourite car....... :banghead:

Anyone drive a BMW X1?

GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A bulk supply of condoms would be a lot cheaper, and safer for your girlfriend! :rasta:

Like everything else, it depends a lot on what you want to do with a car. Extended touring trips around Thailand, then a SUV for sure. Something to go shopping with that the soon to be boss is happy with will definitely restrict your choices.

For me(DO NOT BUY a Land Rover), a heavy SUV type of car for driving in this country is a must. But for you, whatever you decide be aware that you cannot manoeuvre it around like your spirited motorbike! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^ Nereus..... are the condoms for keeping my Singha cool? What brand would you recommend? Which do you feel are the safest for Thailand.....!??

Dannie Boy, the Volvo XC60 looks good but pricey at 3-3.6M thb. What makes you recommend Volvo?

Cheers,
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If you are not in a big hurry and will be here, then go to the upcoming motor show as mentioned.

I would not buy ANY new car here. The better quality cars, regardless of make, are regularly traded by their well heeled owners, leading to good savings on late model low mileage cars.

No experience with Mitsubishi Pajero, but they certainly get good reviews. You also need to decide if you want a petrol engine or a diesel, manual gearbox or auto just for a start. Who and where is the dealer if you buy new.

I am biased, so no good asking me! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I, too, am biased towards a mid-size SUV. Though I'm driving an older Xtrail (which I quite like), Nissan has nothing to offer in it's present lineup that would make me want to move across.

The Mazda CX5 looks good, but I haven't tried it out. Lots of electronic aids, nice when new but pain in the pocket when repairs crop up.
Personal choice, I avoid the pickup based ones like the Pajero sport, Fortuner and the Chevy. Ford (Explorer?) is in there somewhere.

On the like list, consider the Subaru Forester base model, or if you have a bit more dosh to spend the XV is something that would be high on my list. Prices have dropped quite a lot since they are now manufactured in Malaysia, perhaps a good deal at the motor show?

If you want Euro models, consider the secondhand market, prices drop considerably so you could score a decent higher spec Euro model a few years old for the same price as a Japanese econobox.

And as Nereus says, avoid the Landys.

Oh, and do note that practically all new models now come with a CVT, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but I do miss the older manual gearboxes.
And get halogen headlights. Bulbs don't cost an arm and a leg. A bulb for those Xenon headlights cost around 5,000 baht for the Nissan, and in the Ford Focus you need to buy the whole assembly, price North of 10,000 baht.

My two cents worth.
วินเชนท์
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Whilst there are some differences between vehicles delivered in Thailand and those delivered in Aust to comply with ADR rules you can generally get a rough idea of the safety rating of a particular vehicle by looking at on the ANCAP site if safety is your primary concern.

From 1 January 2018, vehicles will be evaluated against four key areas:

Adult Occupant Protection (AOP)
Child Occupant Protection (COP)
Pedestrian Protection (PP)
Safety Assist (SA)
A range of tests and assessments are conducted within each area, with vehicles required to meet minimum score thresholds for each star rating level. The overall star rating of a vehicle is limited by its lowest performing area of assessment.

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ginjaninja wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 pm ^ Nereus..... are the condoms for keeping my Singha cool? What brand would you recommend? Which do you feel are the safest for Thailand.....!??

Dannie Boy, the Volvo XC60 looks good but pricey at 3-3.6M thb. What makes you recommend Volvo?

Cheers,
GN.
I’m fairly certain that in the EURO NCAP safety tests Volvo come out near the top, but otherwise they are relatively mediocre in overall style/equipments/driving pleasure. The biggest drawback is their price in Thailand
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Volvo have always been known for their safety record. They've never won any rallies so they had to concentrate on something!!

It used to be said "If you can't drive and want to stay alive, then drive a Volvo"
thepalmbistro
Professional
Professional

Post by thepalmbistro »

After having driven quite a few bigger cars, I would have to say my favorite out of them is the ford Everest the car I currently drive. The fortuyna I’m not keen on, used to have the old model. In terms of your girlfriend driving one, I’m quite short and also female and have no issues with manovering it or parking. Plus the safety features are great in it, plus spacious enough for the kids. If you want a test drive let me know.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

thepalmbistro wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 pm After having driven quite a few bigger cars, I would have to say my favorite out of them is the ford Everest the car I currently drive. The fortuyna I’m not keen on, used to have the old model. In terms of your girlfriend driving one, I’m quite short and also female and have no issues with manovering it or parking. Plus the safety features are great in it, plus spacious enough for the kids. If you want a test drive let me know.
Hi...,,, thanks for the very kind offer.
I really like the look of the Everest however after hearing so many horror stories with Ford-Thailand, I'm a little put-off.
Might give it a test-ride at Ford though.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.
I will need time to digest. I'm working outside Thailand right now so the test-drives will have to wait.
GN.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think as Nereus mentions above, it depends on what the vehicle is being used for. My partner constantly drives around Hua Hin, to the shopping malls, markets, visiting friends and that sort of thing where ease of driving and parking are the main priorities. Also, that kind of driving is at the sort of speeds where just about any modern car will keep you safe in the event of a crash.
She has an HRV which works well for that kind of driving but I wasn't going to spend 2M baht so you'll have a lot more choice!