Normal tip for caddie in Hua Hin ?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Normal tip for caddie in Hua Hin ?

Post by Spitfire »

Ah, suppose we'll get back to the tip for the caddie eventually....... :wink:
Attachments
river.jpeg
river.jpeg (7.03 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Spitfire wrote:Ah, suppose we'll get back to the tip for the caddie eventually....... :wink:
That's been and gone.

chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Johan wrote: Anyway, you are very naive if you think that thai people don't use cheap workers from Myanmar a lot, in every way they can.
:agree:
Many of the unskilled workers on building projects during the Hua Hin building boom years, circa 2007, were from Burma / Myanmar. Usually paid 200 Baht or less per day and did not speak Thai.
Possibly without work permits and Thai ID cards so they must have had to move elsewhere after the property bubble burst.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

chopsticks wrote:
Johan wrote: Anyway, you are very naive if you think that thai people don't use cheap workers from Myanmar a lot, in every way they can.
:agree:
Many of the unskilled workers on building projects during the Hua Hin building boom years, circa 2007, were from Burma / Myanmar. Usually paid 200 Baht or less per day and did not speak Thai.
Possibly without work permits and Thai ID cards so they must have had to move elsewhere after the property bubble burst.
Nobody was denying that though!
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

poosmate wrote:I will write this more slowly so you can understand. MOST construction workers are from the north-east of Thailand ( Esarn). I have met and employed several hundred of them and have worked with them for more than 6 years.I was not referring to specific examples of where you have found Burmese. I am talking about Hua Hin and Bangkok where I have had experience. As you seem to claim to understand Thai ( and still be so naive about aspects of normal life in Thailand) you will also know that the local dialect spoken in Esarn is quite different to Thai.

I liked your joke of not accepting a tip in your shop for a hand job. Was it free? :shock:
I agree with Johan but it was poosmate who said they were mainly from Isaan.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

chopsticks wrote:Only Poosmate who says they were mainly from Isaan.
Because he's right!

I may as well have not bothered writing my other post. :banghead:
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

They were not from Isaan and not Thai either so IMHO he's wrong !!! Johan is correct. :banghead:
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Most - Majority
Many - some but not most :wink:
I never disputed that Burmese work in Thailand.
Johan stated that he had never seen or heard of Thais doing this and other types of work

Anyway back to golf.............Tipping the caddy... Yawn........Johan was only yesterday offering to rent his clubs out.Maybe his attention span is as short as his business plans :|

The course in spitfires picture I think would need a Sherpa caddie and an extra large tip :)
no more dePreston
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Let's get back to the golf, anyway, we do not care about the Myanmar workers, right ? :-)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The workers who built my home were Thai from Issan. If what they told my wife (and if what I recall) was correct they got 300 baht per day and that was several years ago. The cost of living has risen quite a bit in Hua Hin since then so I would think they would need more now.

All workers here (we know a lot of them) in menial service industry jobs like waitresses in restaurants also depend very much on tips to live and if you go to a place often and leave no tip or just the odd few bahts change from your bill (as many foreigners do) you may well see a slow down in your service at that place in the future (or worse, end up with something in your food you don't want! Never piss off anyone cooking or delivering food to you!). According to the one's we know and my wife they should be tipped between 5 and 10% minimum for decent service (restaurant, taxi, etc.). As for caddies, as stated above they may only get a round 3 or 4 times a week so one should be generous unless she really does something you don't like.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PAINTER V2

Post by PAINTER V2 »

HH Farang, my thoughts align with yours as I understood it at the moment the caddies I have used get max 3-5 games a week. And judging by how few players have been on the courses at the same time as me this past 10 days I would have thought that is correct.
I walk the course here to keep fit and I’m not joking when I say it takes me 4.5 hours with a good caddy in this heat 300bht to me is well worth it.
If by "overtipping" by a few baht puts food on the table or school books for the kids no problem.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Maybe they use the money for drinks and drugs, you can't be sure. The best thing to do is to tip the minimum plus an extra tip if it was a good day for you.
PAINTER V2

Post by PAINTER V2 »

I’ll stick with my naivety and hope that it may bring a tiny bit of betterment unless proven otherwise, now off to son son in my Ferrari :D .
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

You have a Ferrari ? Which model ?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Johan wrote:You have a Ferrari ? Which model ?
Enzo, he purchased it from me after I bought my Bugatti Veyron.