SLOW PLAY IN GOLF - LETS MAKE A CHANGE!

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

SLOW PLAY IN GOLF - LETS MAKE A CHANGE!

Post by JW »

Slow play has become a major issue in golf over the past 20 years and Hua Hin Golf Society are trying to start to make our members and guests aware of the causes of slow play and actions that can help speed up play and let everyone enjoy their golf more.

We are all pxxxxx off when we have taken 5 hours to play and equally as happy when we have taken 3 and a half hours! It’s a problem faced all over the world in every club and society out there and it does affect everyone's enjoyment of the greatest game so it makes sense to try and get the players to get a move on!

The link below is to the HHGS blog on slow play -

http://huahingolfsociety.com/blog/slow-play/

I thought it would be good to reach more golfers out there on Hhad where more people view and can chat about the main causes and the cures to help all out there play faster. Its really just about making players aware and as the end of the day, if your at Sea Pines behind a 6 ball of Generals there is nothing anyone can do :banghead: !!

Please leave your comments on the main problems and comment on how you think we can speed up play and make our golf days more enjoyable for everybody….. :thumb:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: SLOW PLAY IN GOLF - LETS MAKE A CHANGE!

Post by hhfarang »

How to speed up play... keep me off the course as when you lose a couple of balls every hole and hit it 10 yards frequently (on the shots where I don't lose the ball) it takes a long time to get from tee to green. :oops: :D :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

From my experience the problem is lack of knowledge of golf etiquette. The simplest being the courtesy of allowing a 4 ball or 2 ball though from behind you if there is a clear hole ahead or your party is in trouble and holding up a faster group
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

The real problem is that bad players are allowed on the course... in some countries you can't play on the course unless you are good enough. It's ridiculous to see them on the course, 20 meters by 20 for every shot. Then you have the groups of thai of 5-6-7 people. Well, i saw some courses in Hua Hin without ANY player playing, so go there and you will enjoy your game without anyone on the course.
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

Wow!! please post the days you go shopping fellas as I often take quite a while getting through the check out.

Maybe it's because I'm a bad shopper and just shouldn't be there ?

I was shopping the other day with a very full trolley, when a little old lady came up with only 2 items in her basket.
So of course I did the right thing, I leant over and said to her "You'd better F**k off to another counter I'm gonna be here ages"
Last edited by MXcross on Sat May 21, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may do it faster! But I do it better!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'd agree with the comment on the blog about ready play. It happens to me quite often that over the last few holes I'm tiring. Maybe I'm last to hole out and then amble over to the next tee with the honour. I've got to mark a players card, maybe calculate the stableford score and do the same for my tally. Then get my club, try and wipe the sweat off my face and hands, get my glove on and then fumble around for a tee. The others are all probably ready to tee off, so I see nothing wrong with them doing so. That would save quite a bit of time over 18 holes.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

JW,

I appreciate your position,and that of all golfers.

I don't play much, and when I do I specifically look for ways to not interrupt others that are better. With three surgeries on my shoulder I have to go slow, plus my lack of skill :cheers:

I always am aware of parties behind me and let them play through.

Johan, if we meet on the golf course, please remind me of the fact that I shouldn't be there, we can...discuss it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Johan wrote:The real problem is that bad players are allowed on the course... in some countries you can't play on the course unless you are good enough.
Your solution appears simple, Johan. Naff off home, if they'll take you back. :thumb:
This is the way
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Beginners should not play on the real course, that's all i'm saying and i believe everybody agrees with that. You can practice first at the driving range and then at a 9 holes par 3 course. Nobody want to play with someone who can't touch the ball and drive at 20 meters in the trees. If you can't practice first and take lessons before play, then golf is not for you.
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

Does that apply to the fishing also mate ?
As I see you don't seem to be very good at that, so maybe you should spend a bit more time at the fishing pond.
Only winding you up mate but if the people who own the courses let the guys/girls pay to play then surely they can take as much time as they wish and I believe most, will let professionals amongst you play through.
You may do it faster! But I do it better!
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

When i try to catch fishes, i do that alone, nobody is waiting 30 min or 1 hour for me. Yes is up to them to let people who never played golf before to go on the course, then please don't complain about slow game. Don't worry about me, if i want to play fast i will be the first tee of the day or i will go to some courses i know that are empty most of the time.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

lomuamart wrote: Maybe I'm last to hole out and then amble over to the next tee with the honour. I've got to mark a players card, maybe calculate the stableford score and do the same for my tally.
A pet hate of mine!

If its your honour, have your shot and then fill in your card when the 3 others are having their tee shots.

Easy.
You only live once.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Or you can do like me, do not fill your card as it's useless or let your caddie do it for you.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A good point, ozuncle and I'll try that although it dosn't really take me long to work scores out these days and is usually done walking between green and tee. However, most of the time wasted is due to the fact that I could be last to hole out. Only the person marking my card has to stay and watch me putt. The other two quite often walk off to the next tee and so are well ahead of me. They could be ready and on the tee to start when I arrive there so I see no reason why they should wait for me even if I have the honour.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

I always make sure I am ready to play, since I know I'm going to lose 4 in the water, 2 in the woods and take 3 to get out of sand.

Have not yet had the misfortune to be stuck behind 6 generals.