SLOW PLAY IN GOLF - LETS MAKE A CHANGE!

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: SLOW PLAY IN GOLF - LETS MAKE A CHANGE!

Post by Huahinian »

A lot of time is lost on the greens! Instead of putting, marking, letting somebody else putt, looking at the line AGAIN and putting, continue to putt after your first putt. Too many copy the pros and think that is the only way although, in my opinion, there is less likelihood of a third putt if you continue rather than wait.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Great to see some interest!
Its not about the standard of the golfer, I play with a guy at Springfield who shoots about 140 - its the fastest 140 u ever saw! He is always ready to play and aware of his playing partners. If beginners are taught proper etiquette from the start its a big help.
Stu-Pot

Post by Stu-Pot »

I agree that most of the time is lost on greens.

Mark ball, clean ball, read line, ask caddy, replace ball, check line, argue with caddy.........miss putt & repeat sequence 2 or 3 times.

Also, please pick the ball out of the hole yourself. I am amazed at how many players hole out, and then walk off the green and expect the caddy to get the ball from the hole. I see it every day!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Before any of us tee up we should have ball marker, pitch mark tool and tee pegs in pocket. Time saved by marking our own ball, repairing ANY pitch-marks and not having to ask your caddie for a tee peg, when its already your turn to play are exactly the sort of steps that can be taken to save time on the greens.
Simply knocking in the tiny putts that are so often marked saves time (so long as your not on another players line or future line!). It really is up to all of us to try and help to speed up play, simply giving ideas to our playing partners can really help the speed of play.

My caddie mentioned a recent Thai tournament at Springfield (some sort of qualifier for low amateurs for Asian tour starts I think) where the caddies did nit go onto the greens, the payers did it all themselves, I may suggest our group tries this in the future.

We had 3 x 3 balls at Springfield today, first group were in carts and I reckon they were about 3hr 45 mins, second 2 groups walked and it took 4 hours - course was quiet and we just played a comfortable speed, both walking groups had players well into their 70s, a reasonable time for the round.

Looking forward to more ideas and comments.

Cheers,

JW
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Another way to speed up is to use a golf car, well, i never used one myself but it's also a good idea to try it. The only problem is to wait the other players and the fact that the caddie wont let you drive.
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

I find too many people take ettique to far!
Always waiting, never moving never talking. Letting the playing partner have absolute serentity when shooting.......when your 100yards away across the fairway.
You should be getting ready to hit while your partner is hitting his ball. I know some of the fun is to watch you fellow golfers but, not every shot!
I do agree, a lot of time is wasted on the greens. Within reason, whoever is ready should putt. We don't always need to wait for the "honors".
After a pro putts on tour, the other golfer is placing his ball and getting ready to putt......before the other golfers ball has even stopped rolling.
I know when we have a few too many beers our round can start to drag onnnnnnnnn.
Ed
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Another way to speed up is to use a golf car, well, i never used one myself but it's also a good idea to try it. The only problem is to wait the other players and the fact that the caddie wont let you drive.
Taking an electric cart is not always faster. On those courses that won't let you drive it off the cart path it actually slows play unless you can manage to hit next to the path each time.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Many times carts are slower and a nightmare if your not allowed on the fairway! I also think it removes the social side of the game.
cookmanchef
Professional
Professional

Post by cookmanchef »

The biggest differences I see here compared to in England where our threeball would usually get round in under 3 hours. Players defiantly playing out the hole even though they cannot score a point or win the hole and the lack of 'gimmes', if it is not a competition anything under 2 feet can be picked up.

Agree with JW too about marking your own ball and repairing pitch marks.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Many high handicap golfers watch too much golf on TV. all the taking off and putting on of gloves, the ball cleaning, the looking at puts from three angles etc

It is also self perpetuating. Many people who started in the last ten years feel that a 4+hour round is normal. The Japanese really accept the 5-6 hour round as normal, they have never known anything else.

I was playing the Old course at St A, a very slow japanese group was ordered by the marshalls to walk the next hole and not play it--now that got their attention.
pavlik3003
Novice
Novice

Post by pavlik3003 »

In England at my golf club we always used the principle of " the first one in gets the pin". I notice in Thailand that the caddies leave it to the caddie of the last player to hole out who then has to pick up and replace the pin and "clear up" the green etc and then catch up with the group. If the caddie of first player to hole out would hold and replace the pin then time would be saved. One minute a hole makes 18 minutes a round.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

So if I enjoy playing golf at the pace I am comfortable with, but also let obviously impatient players go on through behind me what does this mean? Should I stick to 'pitch and putt' at home for fear of more advanced golfers attacking my inability to play at their speed?

What you need to realise is that a lot of us paid a great deal of money to stay here in Hua Hin and use the golf course as a hobby (pretty much the only exercise some older guys are going to get) and will play at are own pace. It WASN'T in the membership contract, which are not exactly cheap, that we had to clear the course within a certain time limit

I unnderstand all the 'tips' you suggested to speed things up but a round of golf is 'a day out' for me. Maybe you shouldn't be trying to 'teach :roll: ' us how to play quicker but instead speak to the guys in charge offering the membership to guys, who aren't exactly pro, when money is flashed in their face.

That said I let people pass, BUT I certainly 'aint gonna be rushing myself!
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

E-Dork wrote:So if I enjoy playing golf at the pace I am comfortable with, but also let obviously impatient players go on through behind me what does this mean? Should I stick to 'pitch and putt' at home for fear of more advanced golfers attacking my inability to play at their speed?

What you need to realise is that a lot of us paid a great deal of money to stay here in Hua Hin and use the golf course as a hobby (pretty much the only exercise some older guys are going to get) and will play at are own pace. It WASN'T in the membership contract, which are not exactly cheap, that we had to clear the course within a certain time limit

I unnderstand all the 'tips' you suggested to speed things up but a round of golf is 'a day out' for me. Maybe you shouldn't be trying to 'teach :roll: ' us how to play quicker but instead speak to the guys in charge offering the membership to guys, who aren't exactly pro, when money is flashed in their face.

That said I let people pass, BUT I certainly 'aint gonna be rushing myself!
That's fine if you let people through. You can hack away for 12 hours providing you recognise golf courtesy. Selling membership is FA to do with how you play unless they have rules sign posted or monitors intervene to correct you which they should have but TIT

Courtesy is respect for fellow players. GOLF is not a one man I know it all game

Have you ever been taught manners Dork? I doubt it
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Johan wrote:Another way to speed up is to use a golf car, well, i never used one myself but it's also a good idea to try it. The only problem is to wait the other players and the fact that the caddie wont let you drive.
Johan, if you have never used one, how can you say it is faster to use a car than walking. Just a thought.

There are a lot of good courses in the UK and here in Australia that will not let you walk, only drive a cart. Reason is not that it is quicker to get round, but the fact that it saves spike damage to the course.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

chelsea wrote:
Johan wrote:Another way to speed up is to use a golf car, well, i never used one myself but it's also a good idea to try it. The only problem is to wait the other players and the fact that the caddie wont let you drive.
Johan, if you have never used one, how can you say it is faster to use a car than walking. Just a thought.

There are a lot of good courses in the UK and here in Australia that will not let you walk, only drive a cart. Reason is not that it is quicker to get round, but the fact that it saves spike damage to the course.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And it also guarantees them the financial return on their golf cars .....
... or am I just being cynical? :?