Tips for a novice golfer...?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
lomuamart

Re: Tips for a novice golfer...?

Post by lomuamart »

I'm happy when I can make a putt of over 2 feet these days. So, I'm starting to practice it and occasionally I get a 5 footer. My playing partners can't understand why I'm so happy!!!
For me, the thing about the game is that JW (or any really good golfer) and I could both be 150 yds from the pin. JW hits maybe an 8 or 9 iron. I need a 6. But once, just once, I'll put my shot inside his but then that's why he's the handicap he is and I've got my millstone. But it's possible.
Remember the good shots, not the bad ones and just keep at it.
I find the hardest thing is when I've been playing well against my handicap for a month or two. Everything's going in the right direction and then I implode and just can't get anything right for the next two months. That's the time to just be happy with playing - not the score - have a few beers and relax. The good times will come back.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Thats why its the greatest game! :thumb:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Remember the good shots, not the bad ones and just keep at it.
I spent two years trying to play golf and the only shot that I can remember is one that went through the upstairs balcony windows of one of those swanky course-side villas.
BkkDennis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BkkDennis »

I am a 62 yro extreme novice with what seems like a handicap of 72 based on recent play at four Hua Hin cources.

The great thing about HuaHin golf for me was the caddies. They have loads more experience than any caddie I've seen arounf Bangkok.

I venture to say that at the Majestic in particular the caddies can give you lessons for their tips.

I would avoid Black Mountain which has some of the fastest greens in the world - but it does have great locker rooms.

My recommendation for any new player - Play in Hua Hin for the expert help you can get from the caddies
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hey Dennis,

Let us know when your here and maybe get a game. :thumb:
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

HAVE FUN! If you are facing a difficult hole...Visualize a really greta swing and where you want your ball to land. Really focus on not just the direction, but also the ball flight, and what blade of grass you would like to hit when your ball lands. Now, get in your cart, ride to that spot, and place your ball where you imagined you would hit it. Play from there..save a lot of frustration, balls and have a lot more fun. If you are playing with a group, just hit a ball from where they are playing from,so you don't slow down the group. No-one will fault you for this and you will have a lot more fun. Once you improve, you can take on more of the course. This, along with lessons will help. (But the visualization exercise will be helpful in the future.)
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Now, get in your cart, ride to that spot, and place your ball where you imagined you would hit it. Play from there.
Hole in one everytime for me then :twisted:
no more dePreston
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

18 months ago, absolutely hopeless. Last month, shot 90 at BM and thought I'd played badly! The key for me has been getting those early lessons and limiting practice, so I'm not reinforcing bad technique. What's the point of hitting hundreds of balls, if you are only bedding in your slice?

My tip? Find a good teacher. I met one who, when I went out with him, got stuck in the trap and couldn't get out again. He didn't get my business. Alternatively, befriend a good golfer and seek their guidance. I was lucky to find one and he is happy to help me as long as I actually implement his advice. Haven't got a handicap yet but have never had any problem getting on any of the courses.

I also stay away from those who can't play without getting angry and/or abuse caddies.

Great game when the ball starts going where you aim it. Loving every minute. :thumb: