Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Post by SunandFun »

RULES QUESTIONS. Hi fellow golfers. I will be moving to HH next year and during the interim and as a way to meet fellow golfers...I wish to offer my humble services. I Referee on The Professional Golf Tour in India and some in Thailand. I attended Referee School at St. Andrews and I have passed several exams for Rules. (I give this for background and credibility only) I know from time to time you may have questions about something you did or did not do and wonder what the Rules would allow. For those that "Rules do matter" I would be glad to answer your enquires on this forum. I will do that as long as the moderators don't mind. I can also reply personally if you let me know how to do that. If the question and answer is posted on the forum it may be useful to all. That is my desire. Happy Golfing!
Big Boy

Re: Golf Rules Questions and Answers

Post by Big Boy »

SunandFun,

I'm not a golfer, but I think this might be a useful thread on its own. I've created a new thread, and certainly for now (on the assumption it takes off), I've made it a sticky.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Re: Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Post by lomuamart »

I've got a question for you.
I'm on the green and have marked the ball. I replace the ball correctly and am lifting the marker out of the ground when I accidentally touch the ball with the tip of my thumb and it rolls forward a very short distance.
I call the movement and replace the ball where it was. Do I incur any penalty here as the accidental movement was caused by and directly attributable to the act of marking?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Hi Lomuamart, No penalty as long as you replace the ball. Moving the ball or the marker in the process of replacing either is no penalty. Replace what moved, from where it moved and play on. Now if you are walking to your ball and drop your marker or your putter, and it hits your ball and moves it, that is not in the process of marking your ball. Please replace your ball and add a one stroke penalty. In case you do not replace the ball, it is a two stroke penalty...playing from a wrong place.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks. That's what I thought but it's good to have the rule cleared up.
Albie Quick

Golf rant and question re rules

Post by Albie Quick »

I started playing golf in the mid 50's and the first golf club I used didn't have number, it was called a 'mashie niblick', (approx 8 iron). It had a hickory shaft with a 'wrap around' leather grip and a metal head. The 'woods' in those days were really made of wood, the 2 wood being called a 'brassie' and the 3 wood a 'spoon'. I've lived through move from wooden shafts, to alluminium, to steel to graphite and heads from 'blades' to 'cavity back' etc, but the original design of the golf club has changed very little, if at all, since then. However, as some may know, (JW in particular), I'm a bit of a traditionalist and there are some developments in the game which I'm not so happy with and I'd be grateful to see if anyone out there agrees with me,(or doesn't, as the case may be).

Firstly, the putter.. this is the only club in the bag which, in part, has changed it's design dramatically from its original concept - I refer, of course, to the 'broom handle' or 'belly putter'. I don't very often agree with Gary Player, but I believe that he is absolutely 'spot on' when he says that putting is an integral skill of the game and if you have to shove the top end of the putter up your left nostril to be able to use it then you should take up another sport.

Secondly, I have an issue with 'ball marking'. In my opinion you should be allowed to mark your ball for identification purposes only. The current rules allow a mark to be put on the ball as an aid to putting alignment, which as you might have gathered, I totally disagree with. Now here's where the question re rules comes in......

The rules of golf do not allow a golfer to place anything on the tee which helps him/her to align up their tee shot. (As an example, my friend in the UK, who was a pipe smoker, was disqualified from a comp recently because he used his pipe as an outside aid by laying it down on the tee on the opposite side if his ball to help his alignment with his drive). Now if a golfer marks his/her ball in such a way as to help with putting alignment and then uses the same system to align the ball on the tee, do they breach the same Rule of Golf? I'd like to think so, but I'm really not sure. Maybe some golfing rules guru can help on this one. If I get an answer which suggests that this does breach the Rules of Golf, then this opens an even bigger can of worms which I won't 'open' until I get the answer.

When I've voiced my concerns re this method of ball marking, people with the opposing view have always countered with the argument that manufacturers of golf balls will always be able to put their logo on the ball which will assist ball allignment, so you might as well be allowed to do it yourself. I totally disagree. I used a 'Ben Hogan' ball for a number of years because it had a very small logo and you could throw it on the ground and almost guarantee that there was a better than even chance that you wouldn't see any writing at all. The R&A and USPGA have sufficient power to ensure that all golf ball manufaturers mark their balls in the same manner, so I really don't see that this argument holds much water.

So there you have it, the long putter and ball marking. Maybe by putting it on the Forum, (no pun intended), I'll get it out of my system and save my paying partners a bit of ear ache in the future. If you agree or disagree, I'd like to know. If you don't care, keep it to yourself.

Albie :cheers:
[i]'The ability to recognise the extent of your knowledge on any particular subject is a condition which, (unfortunately), far too few people are afflicted with'.[/i]
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Albie...A round of golf with you must be a barrel of laughs. One of the reasons I quit golf in the UK was due to Golf Club politics,cliques and pettiness.

I now play for fun and don't worry too much about my score and if my playing partner wants to mark his ball with a huge cock or putt with the top end of the putter up his arse that's OK by me.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Sateeb! LMFAO!
Albie is a top guy to be honest.. u need to meet him.

If your coming to the quiz on Thursday a beer or 2 on me of sure. :thumb:
Albie Quick

Post by Albie Quick »

Hi Sateeb,
Believe it or not, I am laid back on the course and have no problem finding playing partners. I'm the first to admit, however, that I do get a 'bee in my bonnet' on the odd occasion. In fact, if you've ever got a few hours to spare I'll give you my argument for why the 'Stableford' scoring system should always be played off 7/8 handicap! :thumb:

Thanks JW :cheers:
[i]'The ability to recognise the extent of your knowledge on any particular subject is a condition which, (unfortunately), far too few people are afflicted with'.[/i]
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

JW....being an avid quizzer in Khon Kaen I did look for your place a couple of times but I always seem to lose my bearings, and I thought your quizzes were held on a Saturday night,,please clarify and I will take another look at the map and head downtown on Thursday...what time???

My post about golf rules was mainly tongue in cheek and I'm sure Albie is a top guy.

If you don't know me I will be the guy walking in with the butt end of a putting racquet up my ass :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Cheers Albie.....I'm quivering with anticipation of your presentation...why not go all out and make it 6/8ths HC :thumb: :idea:

― George Carlin
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi sateeb,

Thursday night in JWs at 7pm. If you get lost call me on 0878211077. We are in the street behind PP bar.
Cheers,

JW
Albie Quick

Post by Albie Quick »

Sateeb, You'll have to wait until I get back from the UK probably Feb/March. That will give me plenty of time to prepare the 'slide show'. Bring your own refreshments!

Whilst I'm in the UK, interestingly enough, I'll be playing golf at Wallasey Golf Club. It was there around 1936 that one of the members, Frank Stableford, came up with this method of scoring. There's even a commemorative stone on the 2nd tee where he actually had the brainwave. By the way, he designed it to be played off 7/8 handicap!! :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Cheers Albie...That gives me plenty of time to prepare a counter slide show presentation of my collection of hand knitted tea cosies....bring your own Samurai sword to end it all quickly :naughty: :cheers:

By the way,are you the same Albie I have met in Play Sports lounge a couple of times??

― George Carlin
Albie Quick

Post by Albie Quick »

Yes, that's me!! :cheers: