Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Re: Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Thanks sunandfun, that was what I figured, but good to be sure. You can play Banyan with the Hua Hin Golf Society - it is a regular venue for them and a very good, interesting and well maintained course.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi heartfo...,

I really love 17 at Banyan and I know many dont!! When the pin is back left its a really challenging shot, I guess its just a shot that fits my eye, can shape it in either way, depending on the wind - a good shot gets a good result. Some people reckon it would be a great short par 4 - which could really work too, lots of danger around the green. Would do away with the front right portion of the green in that case.

Cheers,
JW
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I agree that it would be a better short par 4. Off the back tee it plays like a short par 4 but the problem with doing that, is that in Thailand, people don't think a golf course is a proper course unless it is a par 72 with 4 par 3's and 4 par 5's!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I know what you mean.. its just not golf is it aint 72! lol
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Golf Belly Putters To Be Banned From 2016

Post by MrPlum »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22610307

'The ban will apply to any club rested against a part of the body, such as the broom-handle or the belly putters.'
Woosie
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Golf Belly Putters To Be Banned From 2016

Post by Woosie »

Pleased to see it. BTW, it's anchoring that is banned not the putters.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

It Is Official January 1, 2016, No More Anchoring Clubs

Post by SunandFun »

There has been much discussion about this and long putters. Effective on the next cycle, January 1, 2016, The Rules of Golf will add a new Rule 14-1B to address "Anchoring a club" to the body. Note that club length is not addressed and the length of a putter can remain, it just cannot be anchored to the body.
Here is the 32 page explanation that addresses ALL concerns and questions from the R&A. I hope you find it useful and it answers your questions.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/~/media/R ... ation.ashx

HAPPY GOLFING! :D
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: It Is Official January 1, 2016, No More Anchoring Clubs

Post by SunandFun »

SunandFun wrote:There has been much discussion about this and long putters. Effective on the next cycle, January 1, 2016, The Rules of Golf will add a new Rule 14-1B to address "Anchoring a club" to the body. Note that club length is not addressed and the length of a putter can remain, it just cannot be anchored to the body.
Here is the 32 page explanation that addresses ALL concerns and questions from the R&A. I hope you find it useful and it answers your questions.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/~/media/R ... ation.ashx

HAPPY GOLFING! :D
In adopting Rule 14-1b,The R&A and the USGA have concluded that freely swinging the entire club is integral to maintaining the traditions of the game and preserving golf as an enjoyable game of skill and challenge.The essence of the traditional method of golf stroke involves the player swinging the club with both the club and the gripping hands being held away from the body. The player’s challenge is to direct and control the movement of the entire club in making the stroke.

To reiterate, the main thrust of Rule 14-1b is to prohibit direct anchoring of the club, where the club or a gripping hand is intentionally held against the body during the stroke.To illustrate this, under the Rule a player may no longer hold a long putter against his or her chest while the stroke is made. but we also do not want the player to be able simply to move the gripping hand off the chest while continuing to hold the forearm against the body during the stroke, because the club would still be effectively anchored. Accordingly, Rule 14-1b provides that a player may not make a stroke using an anchor point, which exists when two things are true: (1) the player intentionally holds a forearm against the body; and (2) he or she grips the club so that the gripping hands are separated and work independently from one another (i.e. the top hand effectively secures the club in place as if attached to the body, while the bottom hand is held down the shaft to swing the lower portion of the club around the stable point of attachment).
That is the narrow issue addressed by the prohibition on using an anchor point during a stroke.There is no general ban on contact between the player’s forearms and body. Other than when an anchor point exists, a player may intentionally hold one or both forearms against the body in making a stroke. Specifically, that means that anyone putting with his or her hands together in gripping the club may rest the forearms against the body in any manner without penalty.The “anchor point” provision precludes only a very specific type of stroke in which a forearm is intentionally held against the body as an indirect means of anchoring the club.

This gives a general overview of the Rule and reasons for the change.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

In Thailand the caddies seem to be trained to mark the balls on the green until it is the turn of their player.

What is the rule about making the ball on the green when say another player is pitching onto the green and does not want another ball to be marked ( as it could be an advantage to him) is it the sole right of the player whose ball it is on the green to mark it regardless of what the other player may wish?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Musungu, Any one duly authorized by the Player can mark and lift the ball. The Player is responsible for any breach of the Rules in this process.

22-1. BALL ASSISTING PLAY
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:
a. lift the ball if it is his ball; or
b. have any other ball lifted.
A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).
In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.
In stroke play, if the Committee determines that competitors have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist any competitor, they are disqualified. Note: When another ball is in motion, a ball that might influence the movement of the ball in motion must not be lifted.

22/6
Competitor Requests that Ball in Position to Assist him not be lifted
Q. In stroke play, B’s ball lies just off the putting green. A’s ball lies near the hole in a position to serve as a backstop for B’s ball. B requests A not to lift his ball. Is such a request proper?
A. No. If A and B agree not to lift a ball that might assist B, both players are disqualified under Rule 22-1.

Hope this answers your questions.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Thanks S & S it was as I thought but I was not aware that if there was joint agreement thenall agreeing would be disqualified.

As you now play in Hua Hin and obviously come across a caddy marking without any direction from the player - what do you do ?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

As long as it is your Caddie, it is assumed that you have "granted them permission" to do so and have to bear any Rules infractions they may incur while doing so. If it is someone else's Caddie you have an argument against giving permission and could avoid a penalty.

I usually have my caddie's trained to let me mark the ball. I do this out of habit and have my "lucky marker" to guarantee the Putt will be made. LOL I even prefer to repair my own pitch marks. Something about getting the "blessings of the green Gods' by doing so." I always try to repair at least one more pitch mark that mine to keep the balance in my favor. But all are superstitions...and good golf etiquette.

HAPPY GOLFING!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Just wanted to awaken this thread. I am a Professional Rules Official and Referee and enjoy answering questions about the Rules of Golf. So if you have any questions, please post and I will try to answer within 24 hours.
Happy Golfing!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Sorry if this has already been covered? What happens if a ball on the fly hits another ball already stationary and knocks it into a worse location? Is there relief to move it back to where it was? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

prcscct wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered? What happens if a ball on the fly hits another ball already stationary and knocks it into a worse location? Is there relief to move it back to where it was? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Hi Pete,
The ball that was stationary is replaced as close as possible to where it was moved from (Ball mark, etc.) even if it is moved to a better location it has to be replaced.
The "ball on the fly" is played as it lies wherever it stops.

RULE 18-5. BALL AT REST MOVED BY ANOTHER BALL
If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced.

Happy Golfing,
David
:cheers: