Golf Memberships

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Golf Memberships

Post by JW »

Banyan has a great team now who really are trying (and succeeding) in satisfying their old customers and making Banyan a sellable product for us as agents :).

SandF - my office is right in front of Bernies, look forward to meeting. I dont play as much as I would like but its always fun!

Cheers,

JW
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Banyan needs to have access over the hill to the course ie what they confirmed was available from the outset, as this would mean a drive of 5 mins to the course, now owners have to drive for some 20 mins down the main road etc etc - hardly a house on the course situation

Estate Agents may find them better to deal with now but that is for selling houses : we are talking golf memberships, and the tight layout of the course is not great either, unless you like looking over 3/4+ other holes from fairways.

Sorry I do not rate it and having a compulsory single occupancy buggy fee also goes against the grain
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

Well, I can only say that my dealings & communications with Banyan Golf Club have been handled very professionally and quick.

I have not had any details with the Real estate side, because I'm not looking to buy a house...so I cannot comment either way.

Only looking for golf, and thus far, they seem okay to deal with!

As stated earlier, the other clubs have ignored me to date..!!!
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I believe if you are a member at Banyan then you have the choice to walk. Not sure if their low season rate of 1500 baht includes a buggy or not. I think it doesn't, but not sure if you have the choice to ride or walk? Black Mountain, Palm Hills and Majestic all insist on one cart per golfer, but they do give you the choice of walking. In my experience, this 1 person per cart is very unpopular with most but they see it as a way to make more money.
Anyone who is interested in Banyan membership should go and talk to the management and get assurances on where the annual fee will go in future, will there be any restrictions on booking tee times at busy times of the year, will they maintain handicaps and run member only events, will there be a transfer fee. You should get the answers in writing before buying memberships because the other clubs change the rules as they see fit.
Guru is right - the club membership, as we know it, does not and will not ever exist in the Hua Hin area. That is why there are golfing societies here.
kirkyboy

Post by kirkyboy »

Four to six of us (Aussie golfers) come over twice a year to play the great courses in Hua Hin.
We always use AGP golf in Poonsuk road, Naeng, Klaus and Gee are very friendly and have good rates for golf but I would be interested to find out about joining a golf society.
How much does it cost to join? How many games per month do you play? What courses do you play? What discount is given to play these courses? We will be back again in October and would appreciate some feedback. Thankyou
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Kirkyboy,

You need to be a resident to join, and to play as a guest you need to be introduced by a member. If you know someone you could get an intro. Drop by Bernys and make a friend :cheers: High season our tee times are pretty much fully booked, low season we usually have spaces for guests.
We play every Tuesday and Friday with at least 2 away trips to other areas (Chiang Mai and Pattaya).

Cheers,

JW
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

PET wrote:
Mrock wrote:Buy a condo or house at Black Mountain.
The best Golf Course in Thailand.
Great ownership.
18 holes + 9 holes par 3 course.
Excellent practice facilities.
Quality homes and construction.
Waterpark, Wakeboard Park, Mini Golf, Spa, Tennis.......
I bought a place there and love it!!
I understand that unless you have purchased one of the Bht50 million homes the golf membership cost is bht1 million per person ( but only for smaller homes and condos owners)

It is a nice course and perfectly maintained but - the best in Thailand ? - I don't think so and too many blind shots for my liking.
Blind shots? 1-3 depending on whats a blind shot. Theirs not many at all.

Lifetime membership, quality management, no money issues, sellable, transferable, willable...maybe a little expensive but you get what you pay for. I don't want to be a member somewhere unless I live on the course. Black Mountain has free shuttles to town for members. Taxi back is 300B. Black Mountain also offers alot more than just golf.

Banyan is nice but you need to drive around the mountain. Maybe one day they will have the road over.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Mrock wrote:Banyan is nice but you need to drive around the mountain. Maybe one day they will have the road over.
Unfortunately the road over the mountain is an ongoing bone of contention, though the management insist that it will eventually be constructed, as it is in their interest as much as the owners in marketing the development. Personally I have strong reservations, as the development has now been a work in progress for what, approaching 6 years or so and if they can't resolve the issues relating to this in that timeframe.....!!! :roll:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

aragon wrote:
Mrock wrote:Banyan is nice but you need to drive around the mountain. Maybe one day they will have the road over.
Unfortunately the road over the mountain is an ongoing bone of contention, though the management insist that it will eventually be constructed, as it is in their interest as much as the owners in marketing the development. Personally I have strong reservations, as the development has now been a work in progress for what, approaching 6 years or so and if they can't resolve the issues relating to this in that timeframe.....!!! :roll:
I believe the problem is that the Army and Government will not allow it. It is not a financial issue, more an ownership and "rights" issue. Never happen. Look around and see if there is anything on top of any mountain, aside from a Wat.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

SunandFun wrote:
aragon wrote:
I believe the problem is that the Army and Government will not allow it. It is not a financial issue, more an ownership and "rights" issue. Never happen. Look around and see if there is anything on top of any mountain, aside from a Wat.
The land belongs to HM Queen, so the management cannot make comments ''that it will eventually be constructed'' and there is much more to this story concerning payments etc etc which many of us are aware.

What the Banyan owners and management want is neither here nor there and if they have not told you then they are being dishonest IMHO.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

PET wrote:
SunandFun wrote:
aragon wrote:
The land belongs to HM Queen, so the management cannot make comments ''that it will eventually be constructed'' and there is much more to this story concerning payments etc etc which many of us are aware.

What the Banyan owners and management want is neither here nor there and if they have not told you then they are being dishonest IMHO.
As I understand it things are far more complicated and convoluted, but at the end of the day it comes down to the good old fashioned root of all evil, money!!
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

To me the road makes no difference whatsoever, as I will never be travelling from the housing side anyway.

I am just looking for a Club that will (hopefully) provide a good Membership feeling, with members events & Handicaps etc.

Still nothing back from the other Clubs I contacted.......

I'll be meeting up with Stuart when I get back in a few months, and will keep this thread informed
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dws wrote:.....I am just looking for a Club that will (hopefully) provide a good Membership feeling, with members events & Handicaps etc. ........
My 2 satang worth is that the western concept of a real country club may not exist here. I can remember my parents belonging to one in the US when I was young. They were always going to member's dinners, dances and other social events for club members only. The golf and swimming was of course part of it, but it was indeed a social place, not just a place to play golf and swim. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

prcscct wrote:
dws wrote:.....I am just looking for a Club that will (hopefully) provide a good Membership feeling, with members events & Handicaps etc. ........
My 2 satang worth is that the western concept of a real country club may not exist here. I can remember my parents belonging to one in the US when I was young. They were always going to member's dinners, dances and other social events for club members only. The golf and swimming was of course part of it, but it was indeed a social place, not just a place to play golf and swim. Pete :cheers:

It is what you make it IMHO. If you want dinner parties, dances, and other social events, you can make it happen. Someone has to lead and take initiative. The club would probably support any functions you were willing to spearhead and get people excited about. I would guess the problem is the "seasonality" of the members. When you are only here for a part of the year, it's harder to make the time investment to make these things happen. And from the club standpoint, they are so busy during the high season, it takes all their energy to manage that. But if you helped to organize and come up with ideas that seriously "added value" to the club. I can't see why they would not get involved and support it.

Interested in others thoughts about this. This is just my 2 cents worth.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

SunandFun wrote:

It is what you make it IMHO. If you want dinner parties, dances, and other social events, you can make it happen. Someone has to lead and take initiative. The club would probably support any functions you were willing to spearhead and get people excited about. I would guess the problem is the "seasonality" of the members. When you are only here for a part of the year, it's harder to make the time investment to make these things happen. And from the club standpoint, they are so busy during the high season, it takes all their energy to manage that. But if you helped to organize and come up with ideas that seriously "added value" to the club. I can't see why they would not get involved and support it.

Interested in others thoughts about this. This is just my 2 cents worth.
I guess you have not been here very long ?

A members section for golf at Springfield on Thursdays, was started about 2 years ago, and a lot of work put in but it has faded away - Springfield members will be able to fill you in but it is nowhere near as easy as you write.