How much do you tip caddies today ?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
snake

Post by snake »

We have played golf in Hua Hin many years and I think the tipping rate for caddies is still going up :(

We talk about an average+ caddy and we always use carts. We play Springfield, Seapine, Banyan and Black Mountain. Is it the same rate or is it different from course to course ?

I go to HH next week so I will be glad for a quick answer,

Thank you
Snake

PS: 2 years ago at Koh Samui they told me that 400 TBH and up was quiet normal :roll: :roll:
musungu
Professional
Professional

Re: How much do you tip caddies today ?

Post by musungu »

snake wrote:We have played golf in Hua Hin many years and I think the tipping rate for caddies is still going up :(

We talk about an average+ caddy and we always use carts. We play Springfield, Seapine, Banyan and Black Mountain. Is it the same rate or is it different from course to course ?

I go to HH next week so I will be glad for a quick answer,

Thank you
Snake

PS: 2 years ago at Koh Samui they told me that 400 TBH and up was quiet normal :roll: :roll:
The normal tip is 300 THB but if you feel she has done a good job then 400 BHT. Most residents who have regular caddy's pay the latter plus a drink from the on course facilities.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

300 - 18
200 - 9
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I know probably 50 guys who are playing golf at least twice a week. They are all paying 300 Bt be it their regular caddie or not. I do the same.
keke
Novice
Novice

Post by keke »

centermid7 wrote:I know probably 50 guys who are playing golf at least twice a week. They are all paying 300 Bt be it their regular caddie or not. I do the same.

Not to deny a caddie a good and fair tip but if everyone just blindly tips 300 bht for every game despite differences in their caddie's service level, experience, walking versus riding, fun etc won't this create an environment of deminishing performance. If the good/great caddies see that the poor/average caddies are getting the same tip for providing a noticeably lower level of service and putting out less effort won't this lead to the good caddies eventually reducing their level of service. After all why would somebody bust their hump if there is nothing extra in it for them. Yes, there may be a few caddies who's professional pride might keep their performance standards high but I think the masses would quickly recognize that their performance is not determining their tip.
gswedeng
Novice
Novice

Post by gswedeng »

Havent played for a while now in Thailand but I used to tip around 300, depends on how good the caddie was! :)
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Hmmm, I guess I have been over tipping for 20 years now... I take the other approach where I get great service buy tipping well... Have had steady caddie's at the key courses I play, they work hard and we have a great round... My friends do the same and the caddies and us enjoy our competitive rounds.. We pay bonus for every eagle, birdie or par.. 500, 100 and 20 respectively... Makes them really want to read the greens and work with us as we play, club selection and such... Being our regular caddies they learn our game and abilities... Works great!!! Lots of fun for sure... :cheers:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Great to hear BOZ - there are far too many cheapscapes playing here - recently one guy posted asking if 100Bht was sufficient tip for 18 holes !!!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BOZ wrote:Hmmm, I guess I have been over tipping for 20 years now... I take the other approach where I get great service buy tipping well... Have had steady caddie's at the key courses I play, they work hard and we have a great round... My friends do the same and the caddies and us enjoy our competitive rounds.. We pay bonus for every eagle, birdie or par.. 500, 100 and 20 respectively... Makes them really want to read the greens and work with us as we play, club selection and such... Being our regular caddies they learn our game and abilities... Works great!!! Lots of fun for sure... :cheers:
Not a golfer, but have found in other areas the incentive program always seems to work well! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

keke wrote:
centermid7 wrote:I know probably 50 guys who are playing golf at least twice a week. They are all paying 300 Bt be it their regular caddie or not. I do the same.

Not to deny a caddie a good and fair tip but if everyone just blindly tips 300 bht for every game despite differences in their caddie's service level, experience, walking versus riding, fun etc won't this create an environment of deminishing performance. If the good/great caddies see that the poor/average caddies are getting the same tip for providing a noticeably lower level of service and putting out less effort won't this lead to the good caddies eventually reducing their level of service. After all why would somebody bust their hump if there is nothing extra in it for them. Yes, there may be a few caddies who's professional pride might keep their performance standards high but I think the masses would quickly recognize that their performance is not determining their tip.

Agree totally! I watch many people use the Caddie card rating system and always give 5star or excellent rating. Because they want to be nice and not make the Caddie feel bad.

Some clubs give a bonus to the caddies when they have a certain amount of excellents.

If people don't rate them correctly they don't learn anything. A fair or poor rating will get them some extra training. Not a bad thing at all. The Caddie will benefit from this....more tip in the future.

I also like the pay for Pars, birdies and so on. The caddie will try harder for you/her.

My friend had a caddie two days ago who was working her 4th round ever. She was completely lost with zero confidence. My caddie helped her a lot. I have no problem with this because we ALL needed to learn something. But does she deserve the same tip as my caddie?

I tell my caddie many times, you are not professional and neither am I. Usually this makes them relax a little and they do a better job. Smiling and having fun with the caddie helps...I think.

I would say 300 is the standard tip......up or down 100 for good or poor performance is fair.

The Caddie is there to carry and clean my clubs. Read the greens and give yardages the best they can. A bonus is some smiling, laughing and joking around.

Ed
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

They expect a tip equal to the caddie fee, so 300 at most courses, 200, 250, or 350 at those few courses that charge those fees.

That's one of the reasons I gave up golf in Hua Hin. I neither needed or wanted a caddy nor the expense that goes with them. The fee and tip ($20) will pay for the entire round of golf at many courses where I am now.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I agree HH, they are nothing but a bind to my round, whether good or bad at their job.

I'm happy to pull my own trolley, rake my own bunkers, judge the yardage and read putts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
Biermann
Novice
Novice

Post by Biermann »

I love having a nice round of golf with a good and fun caddie. Yes, it adds to the cost of golfing, but as a tourist I can easily afford it. However if I lived permanently in LOS then I think the option of not having the expence would be nice.

I like the idea of giving the caddies a bonus for eagles and birdies. I might do it next time I come to HH to play golf in July. The only form of bonus I have given was an extra 1000 baht (in addition to drinks and 350 at the end of the round) for a hole-in-one at the Royal Hua Hin. I have never seen a more happy caddie... :-) The smile alone was worth the extra cash...
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The only form of bonus I have given was an extra 1000 baht ... for a hole-in-one
A hole in one what? Are you referring to your game or the after game activity with the caddy? :twisted: :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhfarang wrote:
The only form of bonus I have given was an extra 1000 baht ... for a hole-in-one
A hole in one what? Are you referring to your game or the after game activity with the caddy? :twisted: :D
isn't that called one in the hole, not hole in one?