Physicist Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
buksida

Physicist Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

Post by buksida »

Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, his family has said.

The British theoretical physicist was known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity, and was the author of several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

His children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

They praised his "courage and persistence" and said his "brilliance and humour" inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever," they said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Physicist Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

Post by Dannie Boy »

Such sad news, he was a brilliant scientist/physicist who didn’t let his physical disabilities hinder him in any way. The world has lost one of its greatest achievers. RIP
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Stephen Hawking had recently backed a consortium funded project financed by Russian entrepreneur Yuri Milner to the tune of $100m for the astronomical search for intelligent life under "Project breakthrough Listen." The Australian Parkes Radio Telescope was to play a leading role in this venture. RIP Stehen Hawking a sad day for science and humanity.

https://phys.org/news/2016-11-giant-rad ... earby.html
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

An incredible intellect, a great humanitarian and a wonderful sense of humour. Outstanding contribution to science and life in general. A sad day for all.

RIP Mr Hawking.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apart from his achievements in science, I learnt from the radio this morning that A Brief History of Time was one of the best selling non-fiction books ever published and that he was only given two years to live in 1963!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I recommend watching 'The Theory of Everything'. A brilliant biographical movie with Stephen Hawkins played by Eddie Redmayne.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 pm I recommend watching 'The Theory of Everything'. A brilliant biographical movie with Stephen Hawkins played by Eddie Redmayne.
:agree: :agree: Great movie about a great personality and some extremely fine acting to boot.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......