Thai Airways

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Thai Airways

Post by J.J.B. »

Ah, so it was YOU who beat us to it on our return to Blighty last Saturday! :cheers:

We were offered an upgrade on the way out from LHR for about 35,000 THB but the flight was full for our return leg. It's the second time I've flown Thai, having travelled with Emirates, BA and Turkish from both London and Milan; this time Thai was almost half the price of Emirates. We got economy returns for around £780 including taxes etc, which is not too bad for an August holiday.

The Thai service was alright, the entertainment system worked, the food was good although the drinks in Economy could have been a bit more generously distributed. I would fly with them again but as somebody who travels by plane at least twice each week - often more - my experience is that all airlines are equally bad, some are just less bad than others. My company's policy is that any journey under five hours is economy so I only go business when I travel to the US (haven't wangled a business trip to Swampy yet!) so I am familiar with many economy services in Europe. Let's just say that if Ryanair offered a trip to BKK for a quid, I'd still rather swim...
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

My hate relationship with Thai airways continues.

I was booked to fly Thai Business class from Dubai to BKK on Thursday and what happens Wednesday, I get an email to say Thai have overbooked the flight and they do not even have space in economy, please select another date for your flight, well F*&k me such excellent customer service.

I ended up cancelling my booking which of course with Thai cannot be done on the internet only by email or phone. Rebooked with Air India, Kabul to Delhi, because the Haj is on all flights to Dubai are fully booked.

Air India Business class is about equal to economy minus 5 on most airlines, absolute rubbish, then I caught Thai economy Delhi to BKK and even with the issues I had with Thai they would not give any discount or benefit but of course they do smile.

I previously said I would not fly Thai again however as they are almost 50% cheaper than anyone else on this route I thought it was worth the risk, obviously not.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
petercr

Post by petercr »

I gave up on Thai Airways several years ago after they were unwilling or incapable of crediting missing air miles to my frequent flyer account. Visiting their customer service counter at Swampy I was told they could do nothing, instead I was told to go to the Bangkok office...................With most other airline web sites you could claim missing air miles, with Thai even their local staff were unable to oblige.

I also remember when Swampy was blockaded, most carriers placed regular on line updates re cancelled flights and their schedule for resuming flights.................However Thai Airways did nothing until very late on and when they did provide an on line update for resuming services it was inaccurate and useless. My daughter was caught up in that mess and I remember saying at the time how unbelievable it was that the national carrier could not compete with forign carriers in terms of local information and accurate customer service updates

They have no concept of customer services

Maybe they have improved in recent years but I'm not tempted back :tsk:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

StevePIraq wrote: ............then I caught Thai economy Delhi to BKK ............
That was a bit silly Steve :wink:

Tell me - are they still serving the Vegetarian or Chicken with Rice options?...................... :duck:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes still veg or chicken, must have been like that since Thai airways started out.

Some people never learn "Do I"
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Obviously not :wink:
thepalmbistro
Professional
Professional

Post by thepalmbistro »

its quite ironic that this makes the top of the topic listings while i have been on the phone to Thai airways for the last hour being passed from one incompetent member of staff to another. all I want to do is book a ticket using my miles and that seems near on impossible.

Jokers :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

sorry madam you have to go to our ticket office,
oh please tell me where that is.
Bangkok
but I do not live in bkk
Sorry madam you have to go to our ticket office in Bangkok

I have tried on their website but that is useless aswell
I think I am going to be writing off Thai airways as well as my miles soon enough.

Shame though as I have always enjoyed Thai air once I am on the plane.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Twice I have applied for a refund and received it once so far.
Thai Airways website states the following:

For any eligible refunds purchased with a credit card, THAI will refund to the credit card issuer within 7 days of receipt of your completed request for refund.

Strange how the email confirmation says it will take 45 days, my last refund took 52, only just applied for the latest refund lets see how long it takes.

Etihad or Qatar anyway
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Strange how the email confirmation says it will take 45 days, my last refund took 52, only just applied for the latest refund lets see how long it takes.
If you're having these sort of problems with refunds, try going direct to the credit card issuer as they're legally liable for it. It only applies to credit cards and not debit cards.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Well I have done lots of Bitching about Thai airways however I have to praise them this time.

Bangkok to Dubai business class, boarding 10 minutes late, so what, took off 15 minutes late, so what.

Whilst not the best business class seating I have to praise the service which was excellent as was the food and wine, plus the movies which were the absolute latest. Arrival on the dot.

I could not praise Thai business class more and they are by far the cheapest on this route.

One last bitch, did they use the same contractor to lay the runway as who does the repairs in Railway Road, for a relatively new airport the runway is shocking.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

One last bitch, did they use the same contractor to lay the runway as who does the repairs in Railway Road, for a relatively new airport the runway is shocking.
I seem to remember that they started having problems with the surfaces there about a month after the airport opened.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

We got back on Thai two days ago. OK, we weren't upgraded to business on this route but did have three seats between us. Only about 100 or so people on the flight.
The wine flowed until I was politely told to take it easy which I did for a few hours and then it was business as usual.
I also collected an old set of golf clubs from a friend. They had been in her care for 15 years and I thought about bringing them back. Was told, very efficiently, by the London office that my wife and I had a baggage allowance of 40kg. If the clubs didn't go over that amount then they went free. Over that, it was 55 USD per kilo up to a maximum of 6 kilos for clubs. So maximum 330 USD.
Weighed the baggage and clubs on some rudimentary scales and came up with 20 kilos. Decided not to take the clubs, except for putter, and it was just as well as when I asked, as a matter of interest, how much we had I was told 37 kilos!! My scales were obviously a bit out. The putter was taped on to the side of my shoulder bag and I was asked whether I wanted to chance it - it arrived in one piece.
So, overall, I don't have any gripe with Thai Airways and the flight got in 45 minutes early so we managed to get the airport bus down here rather than getting a taxi.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

We normally get a midweek night flight because its never full on Thai or Eva extra seats aplenty. :D

Kendo. :cheers
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good advice.
Edit -unless you're going in high season.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Recently took another Thai flight from BKK to Dubai, Business class, like I have said before not the best business class but very good service, I really had no idea I could drink so much wine, so nice when you don't pay for it.

Also flew Dubai to Shanghai with Emirates on an A380 Business class, now that is what I call quality, I really have to give 10/10 to the Arab's absolutely fantastic, best seats/beds on any plane and they even had a cocktail bar with all drinks included in price, surprised I was not arrested when getting off at Shanghai.

Dubai airport e-gate passport control has to be the best in the world, swipe your frequent flyer card then put your thumb on a scanner and passport control finished, no lines at all. When is Thailand going to introduce this?

Passport control at BKK, no immigration cards so hundreds of passengers could not be processed everyone standing for 30 minutes before cards arrived. Then had to fill them in while standing. Sh*t