Emirates flight charges to BKK

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
GlsgwMick
Rookie
Rookie

Emirates flight charges to BKK

Post by GlsgwMick »

I've been coming to HH for a few years now and was planning another month-long holiday here from july to august.But when I went online to check flights on Emirates website I was well-shocked.Seeing as I always take the same flights back and forth I wasn't expecting much change,how wrong was I.My usual £550 (give or take a bit) flight is now an eye-watering £939 from Glasgow to Dubai to Bangkok.Stick airport transfer and digs on top of that then spending money and it looks like I won't be going anytime soon.Same flights from London Manchester and Newcastle are more in the £550-£650 bracket and me attempting to use this portal is self-defeating what with petrol or train or flight charges coupled with maybe an overnight hotel before and maybe after the holiday.Some of these "cheaper" flights through ETIHAD or KLM involve several stops and massive waiting times between flights and that's just not on for me.Has anybody else who travels perhaps annually to HH noticed this ? I always keep an eye on HHAD and am pretty surprised to be caught out like this as I see this site as always having it's finger on the pulse of all things thai and brit related.I don't see any other threads concerning Emirates price increases anywhere,obviously as an expat based website I realise travelling isn't top of the agenda but a lot of holidaymakers like me will be using the site to keep one eye on all things HH while still working away here in dumpsville UK.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Emirates flight charges to BKK

Post by margaretcarnes »

My last trip was December 2011 - high season I know, but I particularly wanted to go that month, and Humberside airport is very handy from where I live. So of course from there it's KLM or China, and cost over £800. On the plus side it's always a fairly quick route with no stopovers between Schipol and Bangkok.
A friend had to do the same trip last December - just before Christmas - and paid about £1100 for the same route.
A relative flew out from Heathrow 2 weeks ago with South China for a little over £400, but the trip had at least 2 stopovers and would have taken over 18 hours. She is still in Thailand so no feedback on the flight yet.
To be honest I've reached an age where I really don't relish stopovers in Delhi, Moscow or Dubai anymore. Nor is it worth a train to London and a night in hotel there. So I understand your dilemma. It's a balancing act between comfort and cost.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Try using a website called edreams
Address is http://www.edreams.com

They show a whole load of different fares, flight times and connection times, should save you doing it all yourself
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I travel between Europe and Thailand on a regular basis and generally speaking flights are pretty cheap at the moment which is why you've seen nothing on the forum about it. I use multiple departure points to minimise cost and if it was me, I wouldn't use Glasgow at that price when you could get a flight out of London for just over £500.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Glasgow is a stupidly expensive airport to fly out of for whatever reason and it's not just because it's 400 miles away from London.
As an example, GLA-KEF (Iceland) return on Iceland Air is a 2 hour flight costing roughly 450 GBP and yet LHR-KEF on the same airline is a 3 hour flight costing roughly 350 GBP.

Your best bet is to fly out of Manchester or London for low prices, GLA-LON return should be around 70 GBP on easyJet to LGW or BA to LHR.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

GlsgwMick wrote:I've been coming to HH for a few years now and was planning another month-long holiday here from july to august.But when I went online to check flights on Emirates website I was well-shocked.Seeing as I always take the same flights back and forth I wasn't expecting much change,how wrong was I.My usual £550 (give or take a bit) flight is now an eye-watering £939 from Glasgow to Dubai to Bangkok.
Have a look at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ A quick search found a Qatar flight for £643. I'm sure you can find better deals if you dig around a bit. I personally prefer Dubai to Doha but not at any cost. In my opinion Qatar is quite decent to fly with.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (15.87 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I've used Emirates out of Manchester for years now, but when booking my last flight for November last year to come to BKK Emirates were way more money than Etihad, plus Emirates have shifted their stay between flights in Dubai..it was always 3hr wait both outbound & inbound to Man.
Now you're looking at an 8hr wait on the return leg..while Etihad's flight to/from MAN have you waiting only 2 & half hrs between flights..Sorry Emirates, but inflated fares & silly lay-over waits mean more trade for your direct competition... But by later this year (when I'll be looking for flights again) it may have all changed..??
(Same as applying for a Thai visa from 1 yr to the next).
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

A friend is only one click away
GlsgwMick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GlsgwMick »

Thanks for all the insight into other peoples travel methods and useful links.At the end of the day(we go to bed) it's all about the money and I still might go but will research what I've learned so far.All further advice heeded too. Ta.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

As a final note Mick..remember to check your BKK arrival/departure times..if they can match up to the Hua-Hin airport bus's schedule you can save up to £40 each way by using this bus instead of a taxi.
:thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Posts relating to airport bus moved to appropriate thread.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

GlsgwMick wrote:Thanks for all the insight into other peoples travel methods and useful links.At the end of the day(we go to bed) it's all about the money and I still might go but will research what I've learned so far.All further advice heeded too. Ta.

I have always used Jet Airways. They are cheap and a very small stop over in either Mumbai or Delhi, some flights leave Bangkok around 9.00pm and arrive London ( Heathrow) about 7.00am. Leave London around 9.00pm and with a 2 hour stop over in Delhi ( great duty free area) arrive Bangkok around 1.30pm. The flight times are good for me missing London rush hour.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Flew with Emirates this year back to London and found them very good.

Thought I'd book the same flights for the family for next year's trip as the price is still reasonable (22,000 baht each, return).

However was a bit shocked that they now want to charge for seat selection, first time long haul for the kids I wanted to sit us all together but Emirates wants 900 baht a seat to reserve it. That is an eye watering 14,400 baht add on (four flights in total as its via Dubai), pretty disgraceful really.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, I'd take a chance. Stewardesses are usually pretty good at sorting everything out. They won't want kids sitting away from parents, and the problems that might cause.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Whilst Emirates did post a profit for the first 6 months of the year, revenues are down over 70% and their business model is under severe pressure, so they will be looking to squeeze every penny they can from every possible source :cuss:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......