Customs shakedown at the airport

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Customs shakedown at the airport

Post by Korkenzieher »

I have to say that I prefer that, sort of. At least it is suitably random. Since I tend to travel a lot alone, and am usually carrying quite an amount of kit (cameras, electronics), I get pretty sick of the lame excuses when any number of people in the queue would be a higher risk than me. Profiling just means they have to make up the numbers by checking pretty much identifiably low risk people, to avoid the accusation of bias.

As an aside, it seems to me that I get less attention when I use Frankfurt as a hub for Asia, but more when I use it for the US. The reverse is true with Heathrow and Manchester.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've never been stopped by customs at Bangkok in about twelve years of regular travel, I travel alone and light, just a carry on rucksack and they never seem to show any interest at all. I came through this morning with that and a bottle of Scotch in a duty free carrier bag and they didn't even look at me.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I've never been stopped in Bangkok at either airport, since I first arrived in 1994.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Only ever been stopped once, momentarily, at Swampy. I was asked to put my checked bag through the scanner but no one was even looking at the scanner screen. I simply collected my bag from the conveyor and went on my merry way. I guess that they sometimes scan an occasional bag to maybe frighten others into using the red channel.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I remember when I left Abu Dhabi to move to HH 3.1/2 years ago, we packed all manner of food items into our cases and when we got to Swampy we were guided towards the scanners and my heart sunk, thinking they would confiscate/fine me for what we had, but as Bristolian found, they either weren't looking at the screens, or weren't interested in what we had.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote:I remember when I left Abu Dhabi to move to HH 3.1/2 years ago, we packed all manner of food items into our cases and when we got to Swampy we were guided towards the scanners and my heart sunk,.....
Perhaps camel meat and sheeps eyeballs have no duty to pay coming into Thailand!
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

I have been coming to Thailand since 1995 and have never been stopped once.. The reason for my post was in response to this thread... I had so much stuff this time I figured if it was going to happen this was the time... As usual non event... All good from my experience!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!