AirAsia to launch Southeast Asian air pass

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

AirAsia to launch Southeast Asian air pass

Post by Big Boy »

Budget carrier AirAsia said it will launch a regional air pass next year to increase revenue and boost tourism in Southeast Asia, taking competition in low-cost air travel to a more intense level.

Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said the AirAsia ASEAN Pass will allow travellers to fly to 10 different destinations in Southeast Asia in one month for 499 ringgit (S$193), excluding airport taxes.

He said it will be the “catalyst” for increased air travel within Southeast Asia and also lure foreign tourists.

The pass will be sold from Jan 15 and further details will be announced at the time, officials said.

Full story: Today Online
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: AirAsia to launch Southeast Asian air pass

Post by Pleng »

10 destinations in one month? That's a flight every 3 days... No thanks!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pleng wrote:10 destinations in one month? That's a flight every 3 days... No thanks!
193 Singapore dollars is less than a hundred pounds so you wouldn't have to do all ten to get your moneys worth. Incidentally, I can sometimes do three flights in less than 24 hours to get to Thailand so 10 in a month wouldn't be much of a challenge.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

STEVE G wrote:
Pleng wrote:10 destinations in one month? That's a flight every 3 days... No thanks!
193 Singapore dollars is less than a hundred pounds so you wouldn't have to do all ten to get your moneys worth.
True. But you have airport fees and taxes on top of that, which can add up.

Incidentally, I can sometimes do three flights in less than 24 hours to get to Thailand so 10 in a month wouldn't be much of a challenge.
I can do a 2 hour train journey, followed by a 1 hour tube, wait 3 hours after checkin at an airport, 2 * 6 hour flights with a 3 hour wait between planes, then a 4 hour bus ride to Hua Hin all in one go... but once I'm there I'm there and pretty much sick of airports :)

I certainly wouldn't want to be flying once every 3 days but, as you say, you're not obliged to use them all up :)
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I expect it will be <= 10 destinations in one month.

I've never traveled with the X cities in N days mentality. However, it could be fun to hopscotch around, spending 2 nights per city in order to do cross cultural research. You know, comparing beers, coffees, bar girls, misinterpretations of an English Breakfast and get your photo taken with Ronald McDonald. Back in the day, US Airlines would offer such passes. Baseball fans would plan carefully to see as many different teams in as many different stadiums as possible.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Perhaps not totally relevent to the topic,however,i have just visited the Vietnamese embassy here this morning in Bkk,and found out that a single entry visa into Vietnam is 3000 THB,only currency they will accept,minimum 24 hours before visa issued,even if you are prepared to pay for express.I believe it is cheaper to get a VOA,although i am not sure.Anyone have recent experience regarding visa to Vietnam,because the cheap flights to say Vietnam/Cambodia therefore do not look that exciting.
buksida

Post by buksida »

VOA $25 very easy - more info on Nam here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28602
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote:VOA $25 very easy - more info on Nam here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28602
:agree: Just make sure you have all with you (photo, completed form, USD!!)......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Thanks buksida/pharvey for the information,,,,,,,,,,,,was this from a trip taken recently,and did you encounter delays at HCMC airport when you arrived and went to obtain your visa,thanks for your input.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Interesting news about Air Asia. On another forum I use, they've been discussing problems with the airline as reported in Malaysia:

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/money ... g-salaries

Also mentioned were some flights cancelled and problems booking using their website.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Also mentioned were some flights cancelled and problems booking using their website.
First hand experience of this, their English website is very cranky, had a nightmare booking a return flight while in Phnom Penh and had to resort to doing it on their Thai language site.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My personal experience, and I've used them a couple of times this year is that everything has been fine. No different to Easy Jet back in the UK.

I'm due to fly with them again on Saturday - I'll report any mishaps.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Another article on Air Asia, looks like they are having to make some adjustments to their business:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/a ... ity-197766

Will this affect QPR?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:Will this affect QPR?
So long as it doesn't affect Big Boy this weekend, I don't care :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I'm due to fly with them again on Saturday - I'll report any mishaps.
Just don`t loan your GPS to the pilot. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!