Airport surcharges, taxi fares to rise soon

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
buksida

Airport surcharges, taxi fares to rise soon

Post by buksida »

The Transport Ministry is considering a proposal to raise taxi fares by 5% and airport taxi surcharges by between 25 and 45 baht a ride. The move is expected to be endorsed by the end of the month.

Darun Saengchai, deputy permanent secretary for transport, in his capacity as the chairman of the central committee on land transport control, said Thursday the committee approved the hikes on Tuesday.

The proposal was forwarded to Chatchai Thipsunari, permanent secretary for transport. He will send it on to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and his deputy, Omsin Cheevapruek.

"The final discussion will be held by the end of this month. If the ministers approve, the new rates will take effect immediately," he said.

Sanit Phromwong, director-general of the Land Transport Department, said the 5% fare increase is needed to help taxi drivers cope with expenses.

The Transport Ministry in 2014 approved a taxi fare rise totaling 13% and the first part of that increase, a fare rise of 8%, took effect in December. The current airport taxi surcharge is a single flat rate of 50 baht.

Source: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Airport surcharges, taxi fares to rise soon

Post by Big Boy »

I personally have no problem with that - I find the genuine airport taxis to be ridiculously cheap anyway.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I wonder who is going to get the surcharge, and why. I bet not the drivers. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:the 5% fare increase is needed to help taxi drivers cope with expenses.
I assumed it would be the drivers. The last taxi fare I had in Bangkok was the guy's 2nd fare of the day (about 2pm), and he had to collect his kids from school after dropping us. Taking into account fuel costs and car maintenance, there can't have been much left for the driver.

Have you ever looked at the amount of taxis queuing at the airport? It's really incredible.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Don't the taxi drivers have to pay for the privilege of queuing at the airport?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB's regular motorbike taxi has put his fare to MV up by 33% on the back of this announcement :?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There you go, Mrs BB and I have just done Sukhumvit 11 to Suvarnhabumi in a taxi - 259 Baht for a 36 Km journey.

Mind you, the taxis outside of our hotel all had broken meters, but offered to do the journey for 700 Baht. Yes, that'll be right- we just flagged down one of the many genuine taxis. Mind you, it doesn't help when the hotel charge 2,000 for their transfer service. Bangkok taxis - an absolute bargain.

Points 41; Position 18
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Question BB,did he go without using any tolls,or did you have to pay.I travel a similar journey,but always use the same taxi driver,and we have an agreed price.He turns up at hotel at requested time[always early],and takes me to Suvarnabhumi,sometimes for flight,sometimes for airport bus to HH.Did you tip the driver,and how much,just curious being a tight Scot!!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Normally, depending on route the taxi takes from Sukumvit the tolls are 50 baht + 25 Baht. If traffic is bad the driver may go by Bang Na route and save a little on tolls but distance is greater so total bill is approx same

Tio is up to you, Normally I give 40-60 baht depending on traffic and service

The journey into BKK has a 50 baht surcharge
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Bristolian wrote:Normally, depending on route the taxi takes from Sukumvit the tolls are 50 baht + 25 Baht. If traffic is bad the driver may go by Bang Na route and save a little on tolls but distance is greater so total bill is approx same

Tip is up to you, Normally I give 40-60 baht depending on traffic and service

The journey into BKK has a 50 baht surcharge
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, toll charges (75 Baht) were extra, and there was a 50 Baht airport charge. That aside, today's fare was 259 Baht (meter charge).

I don't tip (apparently I'm too generous) - Mrs BB's job.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I found out how to p*ss off an airport taxi driver big time today..

I got into the taxi, and told him Sukhumvit Soi 11. He started negotiating the fare with Mrs BB. I saw red and said put the meter on, or I get out now, whilst taking a photo of his photo with the passenger protection notice at the front of the cab.

He started shouting (and I mean shouting) that it wasn't a problem and switched the meter on. He then drove like a maniac, insisting it would cost us more because we'd be paying tolls etc ourselves - of course we know what the fare is, and it is nowhere near what he was trying to con us out of.

He dropped us at our hotel, and the metered fare was well under what he wanted.

I must say, this is well out character for an airport taxi in my experience, but it was an interesting journey............ now where is that clean underwear?

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have spent the last couple of days in Bangkok and I must say the combination of junta threats and social media exposure seems to have done the trick with the taxi drivers. We only had one that refused a fare and the others we have used have all been courteous and professional with metering and driving. Tips where tips are due.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, today's ride was well out of character for your average Bangkok taxi driver these days.

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote: I saw red and said put the meter on, or I get out now
Did you try asking nicely first?