Duty Free Booze and Changing planes

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Duty Free Booze and Changing planes

Post by oakdale160 »

if you buy Duty Free booze in BKK airport, but have to change planes at an airport where you have to go thru security again. will they confiscate your bottle?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Duty Free Booze and Changing planes

Post by Ginjaninja »

As long as it's kept in the sealed plastic duty-free bag and you have the receipt you should be ok. Open the bag and you're screwed...
GN.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I find duty free alcohol at BKK to be quite expensive.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Well it is MUCH cheaper than where I am going, but my question was nothing about price, but on potential problems when changing planes.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thank you Gin janinja--- and do they put it in sealed plastic bags at swampy
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15 am Thank you Gin janinja--- and do they put it in sealed plastic bags at swampy
Everytime..
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I think you might also find once they see your boarding pass,and they realize that you have an onward flight,[ it shows up on the computor when you go to pay],they will not permit you to buy in Suvarnabhumi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they will say that you must purchase at your next destination for onward travel.This has occurred on several occasions when i have attempted to purchase a specific article which i know is not sold in the middle east.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

If you are flying to Australia they will not sell you a bottle of 75cl booze as the bottle exceeds the duty-free allowance...
As Thistle has mentioned; depends where you are flying onwards too (final destination) and they will always check your boarding pass.
GN.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Ginjaninja wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:14 pm If you are flying to Australia they will not sell you a bottle of 75cl booze as the bottle exceeds the duty-free allowance...
Do they really care about that? I've bought more than whats allowed many times at different airports, for example DXB (Dubai). Cant remember if I have done that in BKK tough.
Ginjaninja wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:14 pm depends where you are flying onwards too (final destination) and they will always check your boarding pass.
Beware that the boarding pass don't say everything. If you for example have a domestic flight on a separate ticket as your last leg, the duty free store has no way of knowing where you're going.

However, my experience is that the sealed security bags from major airports are usually accepted on most airliners. But check with the airport/airliner before if you want to be (reasonable) sure. Since rules changes frequently and security guys don't always follow the rules, I wouldn't by something really expensive and take as carry on in the cabin.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Duty Free Booze and Changing planes

Post by hhinner »

Ginjaninja wrote:If you are flying to Australia they will not sell you a bottle of 75cl booze as the bottle exceeds the duty-free allowance...
As Thistle has mentioned; depends where you are flying onwards too (final destination) and they will always check your boarding pass.
GN.
Australia duty free liquor allowance is 2.25 litres. It's security concerns by Australian government that won't let you take liquids in carry on baggage onto planes from Bangkok airport. http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov. ... oaustralia
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
Thanks for correcting.
Definitely been refused selling a bottle of wine to me at BKK because I had a Perth W.A. boarding pass....
GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

How things have changed. Back in the Don Muang days, the duty free shop didn't care where you were going and would sell you any amount you asked for. They even advised that you can take as many cigarettes into the UK as they are bought outside the EU. Wrong I know, but that's the way it was. I remember a friend buy 50 cartons for sale at Sheffield market. He got away with it then. Not sure if that would be the case now.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

i hear that if you fly BKK > HK > Somewhere else, there may be problems in HK. Anybody experience this??
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I have recently flown Bkk-Dubai-Glas,and also Bkk-Amst-Glas,and on both occasions tried to buy Ciroc vodka at Suvarnabhumi duty-free. They have not permitted this stating i had to purchase at the next airport to take to my final destination.I realize this is different routes from what you are mentioning,but i think it will be the same procedure.