Should I take a taxi to the airport early morning

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Redbuell
Novice
Novice

Should I take a taxi to the airport early morning

Post by Redbuell »

Hi all

I'm bringing my family to Hua Hin for a holiday in a couple of months time & have just found out that our flight back home from Bangkok BKK airport means that we need to get to the airport for about 09:00 in the morning.

What time should I be booking a taxi for in order to arrive at the airport by then?

Any taxi recommendations or guess on the price?

Thanks
RB
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Taxi to BKK Airport

Post by Nereus »

You should not even attempt it. There are many reasonably priced hotels near the airport, move to one the afternoon before your flight. Many of them have free transport to the airport for all flights.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

:agree: ,take the airportbus the day before or a taxi, and relax before you go home

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It's obviously an individual choice on whether to travel at that time of the morning, but if you decide to go ahead as planned, then if you leave at 3.00 am you should comfortably reach the airport by 6.00 am.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I take the bus up the day before. They have a 24h left luggage place at swampy, so I check any big stuff and go to a hotel with just a carry-on. Minibus back from the local hotel the next day--NO STRESS.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 pm It's obviously an individual choice on whether to travel at that time of the morning, but if you decide to go ahead as planned, then if you leave at 3.00 am you should comfortably reach the airport by 6.00 am.
That's exactly what I do for early flights, at that time in the morning you can just sleep the journey away which to me is less hassle than messing around with hotels and shuttle buses and wasting the previous evening.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This may be a silly statement, but have you checked in online. That brings the airport arrival time from 3 hours before departure to 1 hour! Apologies if you already know that, but not everyone does.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

well I don"t have the balls to trust the procedure in swampy to get me through in 1 hour ,have you done it many times ?

:cheers: :cheers:
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Redbuell wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 pmwe need to get to the airport for about 09:00 in the morning.

What time should I be booking a taxi for in order to arrive at the airport by then?
We did it a couple of weeks back; had a noon flight so needed to be there by 10:00am, left HH at 7:00am and was at swampy a tad after 10:00am. Mind you I have to admit I normally don't like leaving it too much to chance and would have left an hour earlier than we did, but 'er indoors insisted 7:00am was good enough and fortunately this time she was right(ish) :roll:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Should I take a taxi to the airport early morning

Post by Nereus »

The OP has posted that he is with his family. He doesn't say, but I wonder how he would go with 2 or 3 kids in tow at 3-00am?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've done the middle of the night thing a few times, but always found it stressful wondering if there were going to be delays. What would happen if there was an incident?

Fortunately, the only problems I did suffer were inbound i.e. a couple of taxis shunted in the rear end. We had to wait for insurance assessors etc. Had it happened outbound, we'd have most probably missed our flight.

These days I opt for the stress free option of bus to the airport the day before. Collected free of charge by the hotel, and delivered back in good time for my flight. If you're really worried about night life, I've heard that Bangkok can be fun as well. :?

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Obviously your personal situation plays a big part in it, for those of us working away from home, you don't want to spend any more time away than you possibly can but if you're retired with all the time in the world, then losing half a day at home is not so important.
I did the early morning run a couple of days ago and slept the whole way which is about as stress free as you can get!
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

The OP has stated that he needs to "get to the airport for about 09:00 in the morning." he doesn't actually say his flight is at 9:00am, therefore he very likely doesn't need to leave HH at 3:00am, but around 5:30am - 6:00am, still very early if you have young dustbin lids in tow.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:57 pm Obviously your personal situation plays a big part in it, for those of us working away from home, you don't want to spend any more time away than you possibly can but if you're retired with all the time in the world, then losing half a day at home is not so important.
I did the early morning run a couple of days ago and slept the whole way which is about as stress free as you can get!
I don't disagree. When I was travelling with work, I too used to travel at silly o'clock all of the time, just to maximise my time with my family.

Whenever I did the early morning run to Bangkok, I rarely managed more than about 10 minutes shut eye. I think there's a difference travelling with family, compared with travelling alone.

Points 41; Position 18