Non-stop Perth to London: what scared a journalist in economy class

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Non-stop Perth to London: what scared a journalist in economy class

Post by Homer »

"I KNOW I shouldn’t think about it, I’ll scare myself to death but after 17 hours in the air, I can’t get the worst case scenario out of my head.

No, not a plane crash. I’m convinced that I am breathing more farts than air."

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 08cf81a3c7
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Non-stop Perth to London: what scared a journalist in economy class

Post by Dannie Boy »

BKK to LHR at about 12 hours is bad enough if you’re traveling economy, I’m not sure I could do 17+ hours non-stop.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I know it`s a great achievement but most people who go to Australia want to go to Sydney or Melbourne so why not save yourselves the trauma of 17 hours in the air and transit halfway?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I hope that the twit that wrote that article used a one way ticket. He is full of what he is complaining about. The cabin air is completely changed between 12 to 15 times an hour, plus it is filtered through hospital grade HEPA filters.

Don't know what the ratio is with the new Dreamliner, but for years the standard has been around 50% fresh intake and 50% recirculated air. Also, with these aircraft the cabin pressure is maintained at 6,000ft, as against the usual 8,000ft, which also helps how the human body copes being off the ground. It also has a newly developed humidity generator so the air is not so dry.

Here is another review:

https://thewest.com.au/travel/perth-lon ... b88785233z

Perth-London direct Qantas flight: What it was like to make history
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus
I seem to remember in an article on this flight, the airline stated they had fitted an upgraded air filtration system for this flight.

I would use this service in a heartbeat, if it went from Heathrow to Brisbane, so we could visit family and then get shorter connecting flights to Hobart.
Having said that, we normally fly via Singapore to Brisbane and spend a few days there, so that family from Thailand can meet up with us in Sp for a few days, as we pass close to Thailand on our travels.
Does anyone have the business class tickets costs for this service, booking from the UK?
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Khundon1975, there are some guides on the following. There was an article recently that I cannot find just now, where the Leprechaun was quoting prices. But from what I have read they are aiming this service more at business travellers with premium prices and then hoping to "top off" with the rest of us mortals.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... o-on-sale/

https://www.qantas.com/gb/en.html?alt_c ... lsrc=aw.ds
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 pm

I hope that the twit that wrote that article used a one way ticket. He is full of what he is complaining about.
He was spot on. You missed that it was humor.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Chicago to HK is 16 hours, thats been flying for years
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:16 am Chicago to HK is 16 hours, thats been flying for years
There are several USA to Middle and Far East destinations that come in at 16 to 16.5 hour flights.
I'm sure there is a Dubai to S America flight that is 17 hours + too. :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 pm Khundon1975, there are some guides on the following. There was an article recently that I cannot find just now, where the Leprechaun was quoting prices. But from what I have read they are aiming this service more at business travellers with premium prices and then hoping to "top off" with the rest of us.

Thanks Nereus Those prices don’t seem to bad.
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:16 am Chicago to HK is 16 hours, thats been flying for years
This flight is not about how long it takes per se, it is about how long it takes for the non stop distance.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 pm "I KNOW I shouldn’t think about it, I’ll scare myself to death but after 17 hours in the air, I can’t get the worst case scenario out of my head.

The bleed air engine technology which makes travelling at 35000 ft the cleanest air you can breath, even better than having a walk in the countryside :)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

johnjar wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 pm
Homer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 pm "I KNOW I shouldn’t think about it, I’ll scare myself to death but after 17 hours in the air, I can’t get the worst case scenario out of my head.
The bleed air engine technology which makes travelling at 35000 ft the cleanest air you can breath, even better than having a walk in the countryside :)
Except that they do not use a bleed air system. A completely new seperate method of air compression, cooling and mixing.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dreamliner Air Conditioning System

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeroma ... _02_1.html

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner features a unique systems architecture that offers numerous advantages to operators. The new airplane's use of electrical systems reduces fuel usage and increases operational efficiency.

The primary differentiating factor in the systems architecture of the 787 is its emphasis on electrical systems, which replace most of the pneumatic systems found on traditional commercial airplanes.

One of the advantages of the no-bleed electrical systems architecture is the greater efficiency gained in terms of reduced fuel burn — the 787 systems architecture accounts for predicted fuel savings of about 3 percent. The 787 also offers operators operational efficiencies due to the advantages of electrical systems compared to pneumatic systems in terms of weight and reduced lifecycle costs.

This article explores the 787’s no-bleed systems architecture and explains how the airplane’s efficiencies are realized.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Nereus wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:42 am Dreamliner Air Conditioning System

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeroma ... _02_1.html

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner features a unique systems architecture that offers numerous advantages to operators. The new airplane's use of electrical systems reduces fuel usage and increases operational efficiency.

The primary differentiating factor in the systems architecture of the 787 is its emphasis on electrical systems, which replace most of the pneumatic systems found on traditional commercial airplanes.

One of the advantages of the no-bleed electrical systems architecture is the greater efficiency gained in terms of reduced fuel burn — the 787 systems architecture accounts for predicted fuel savings of about 3 percent. The 787 also offers operators operational efficiencies due to the advantages of electrical systems compared to pneumatic systems in terms of weight and reduced lifecycle costs.

This article explores the 787’s no-bleed systems architecture and explains how the airplane’s efficiencies are realized.
Nereus a good article on the new no-bleed air systems Boeing 787 Dreamliner, I learned something new today :)