Thai Airways - Seating Restrictions for Obese

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Thai Airways - Seating Restrictions for Obese

Post by J.J.B. »

I was convinced this was an April Fool’s news story but apparently not: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 82916.html

This strikes me as a total waste of time and towards the bottom of the list of ways Thai Airways could bolster their safety record. Pity the poor member of cabin staff with a tape measure who has to send a corpulent passenger to face their fate at the back of the plane in economy. Then again, planes don’t tend to back into mountains.

Somewhere there’s a salesperson laughing all the way to the bank.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai Airways Chocolate Teapot

Post by oakdale160 »

How many massively obese Thai people do you see compared to Farang. Not many. Its another farang-humiliation strategy.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Airways - Seating Restrictions for Obese

Post by Nereus »

No way will I stick up for Thai Airways, but this particular problem is not of their making:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 70762830c3

Thai Airways has come up with a plan to install seatbelt airbags on business class cabins on its new Dreamliner jets.

The move is good news for nervous flyers, but it’s bad news for those carrying some extra weight around their waists — because they simply won’t fit.

Passengers with a waistline of more than 142.24cm (or 56 inches) will not be able to fasten the new seatbelt airbags in a way that meets safety standards, according to vice president of Thai Airways safety, security and standards department Flight Lieutenant Prathana Pattanasiri, the Bangkok Post reports.

The new airbags will also make flying difficult for parents of young children, who will now be forced into cattle class if they need to travel with their kids sitting on their laps.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It occurs to me that anyone with a 56 inch plus waist must weigh so much that if they're on an economy ticket, they're paying less than the freight rate per kilo for a flight to Bangkok!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:35 am It occurs to me that anyone with a 56 inch plus waist must weigh so much that if they're on an economy ticket, they're paying less than the freight rate per kilo for a flight to Bangkok!
well,if you read the link it's about buisness class :idea:

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

bsdk1960 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am
STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:35 am It occurs to me that anyone with a 56 inch plus waist must weigh so much that if they're on an economy ticket, they're paying less than the freight rate per kilo for a flight to Bangkok!
well,if you read the link it's about buisness class :idea:

:cheers: :cheers:
I was making the assumption that people are unlikely to pay for a business class seat that they can't sit in.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

My only issue is being punished for buying economy class by having one of the business class rejects sat next to you for 13 hours.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

So,i am guessing we can all envisage Sheikh whatever checking into a gulf airport,booked on Thai,along with his entourage,and be told,sorry guys,you bought business class tickets ,but unfortunately 75% of you guys are too fat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we have assigned seats in economy for you,and moving the economy passengers into your business class seats.
This is really going to work,and put the current Thai airways management once again under scrutiny,but no problem,many slim people will continue to travel,especially the non-payers of Thai Airlines executive families who fly business class for free.Only way for the airline to expand,,,,,,,,,,,,,reduce the waist line,Thainess!!!!
frank1957

Post by frank1957 »

What use is a seatbelt when 99.9999% of aircraft that crash......crash from about 30,000feet
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

You have to pay for overcharged luggages, so it's normal that overweight passangers pay a surtaxe.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Excellent,Europtimiste kindly post on the forum next time you on a 10-12 hour flight back to wherever,and you sitting in 47B,and you are very happy.Middle seat,nobody beside you,then 2 large guys that Thai airways seem fit not to fly in business class because of their new seat belt policy sit either side of YOU.If you fly first/business class then you automatically get an additional luggage allowance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You have to pay for overcharged luggages,
You mean excess baggage over the allowed weight.

You'll get something right one day!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:49 pm
You have to pay for overcharged luggages,
You mean excess baggage over the allowed weight.

You'll get something right one day!
Correct, that must also apply to obese passengers.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

In the US you get charged for each checked bag. Then if any of them are over a certain weight, you are charged extra.

If your carry on doesn't fit, it becomes checked baggage and you're charged. Even if its because someone else used to much carry on space.

Edit: I've been the person stuck in the middle between 2 obese people before, on a cross country flight. Never again.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its all kind of funny until you are seated next to one of these biggies.