Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Post Reply
User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:38 am

Hi all,

Talk about first world problems, I have a lovey HH villa, with mozzie screens on all doors and a lovely pool to sit beside all day, but a dog that wants to be inside when she's out and vice versa. It's driving me nuts every five minutes, and the screens to the graveyard.

Can a pet flap be installed in a screen door? Or is there some more intelligent design or idea (before you say it: the dog stays....)? She's medium sized standing about 45 cm tall at the shoulder.

Cheers

User avatar
PeteC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20952
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:58 am
Location: All Blacks training camp

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by PeteC » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:43 am

The below link gives you the photos and idea. The problem now is to find a local screen supplier who can make it. Stay tuned for others later this morning who may have ideas where it can be done. Pete :cheers:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=scree ... 78&bih=671
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

User avatar
kendo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3798
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Southampton.

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by kendo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:20 am

You can get a bespoke design made but ask in the spec for magnet's on the pooch flap! i had one in the UK on a timer.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.


Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31090
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by Big Boy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:01 am

Our doors are very robust (more security style), and not suitable for everybody. We had them installed because we didn't like our flimsy mosquito screens. It would be very simple to fit a pet flap into our doors, and I'm sure our supplier would do it. If heavy duty is what you want, let me know, and I'll ask Mrs BB for the guy's name/contact detail.
League 1 - Oxford Utd....0 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 50; Position 7

VincentD
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by VincentD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:14 pm

All the dogs that I have had in Thailand stayed outside and either slept on the front porch or the back door. Only exception to the rule would be a really bad thunderstorm, and when that blew over the wanted out.
The dogs in Singapore were let in, but we don't have screen doors there (not needed) and just had a gate on the stairs to discourage them from coming upstairs. Note that they still had to sleep outside...
วินเชนท์

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:52 am

prcscct wrote:The below link gives you the photos and idea. The problem now is to find a local screen supplier who can make it. Stay tuned for others later this morning who may have ideas where it can be done. Pete :cheers:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=scree ... 78&bih=671
Definitely what I need, thanks, I need to check around where I might get one made.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:53 am

kendo wrote:You can get a bespoke design made but ask in the spec for magnet's on the pooch flap! i had one in the UK on a timer.
Magnetised strip, yes definitely needs that :thumb: !

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 am

Big Boy wrote:Our doors are very robust (more security style), and not suitable for everybody. We had them installed because we didn't like our flimsy mosquito screens. It would be very simple to fit a pet flap into our doors, and I'm sure our supplier would do it. If heavy duty is what you want, let me know, and I'll ask Mrs BB for the guy's name/contact detail.
Thanks BB, PMd you.

Bluesky
Guru
Guru
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Hua Hin, Outback Queensland

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by Bluesky » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 am

404cameljockey wrote:Hi all

Can a pet flap be installed in a screen door? Or is there some more intelligent design or idea (before you say it: the dog stays....)? She's medium sized standing about 45 cm tall at the shoulder.

Cheers
Generally speaking there should not be any difficulties to install a pet door into most screen doors.
You can buy an 'Off the shelf" item such as the link below to lazarda. If you want something a little more sophisticated and secure you may consider purchasing one outside the country.

As an example there is one manufactured by Sure Flap in the UK which is activated by a microchip allowing g only pets with microchips to access and egress via the pet flap. You can also set times for its operation and manually lock it off. (See second link)

http://www.lazada.co.th/xcsource-11-x-9 ... en&boost=2

https://www.sureflap.com/en-gb/pet-door ... p-pet-door
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Pet access to villa and saving my legs.

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi Bluesky,

Sorry to be so late thanking you for your info re pet flaps last month. My head is all over the place, as I'm still in rented accommodation waiting for my villa to be completed. I've just completely forgotten to log on to the forum.

The info is excellent, thanks so much. I will definitely follow up on it when I'm finally installed myself.

Cheers

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest