What Do You Feed Your Dog

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
pharvey

What Do You Feed Your Dog

Post by pharvey »

Had to take my "Furry Friend" to the vet yesterday for his check-up and jabs. Whilst there, the Veterinarian asked what the hell we fed him on - he's pushing 17 years old and runs around like a pup :thumb: (However, he can be grumpy as an old git also :roll: ).

The LHG insists on giving him rice and veg - I insist on meat.... so he has a mixture of both. Some say never to give a dog veg, but at 16+ he's not doing too badly!!

He's pretty keen on his runs in the car also..: -

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (116.88 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

(EDIT): Never has "Dog Food" - Over priced, full of chemicals and quite frankly cr@p.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: What Do You Feed Your Dog

Post by RCer »

Excellent. Great shot of your pup.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Did you bring him from China, Pharvey? Pete :cheers:

and.....do you cook the meat or give it raw? There's a lot of print that raw is best if you can be assured of no parasites by freezing for 3 days or so.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

That's a super-cute looking dog, PH. We were adopted by a stray dog a couple of years ago. She survived for the first year and a half being fed by the old folks in the Old Folks' Home next door. Then I guess the staff were changed and she got skinnier and skinnier. I decided to step in and give her Pedigree Chum dry food, which has actually done wonders for her coat and she looks healthy. I now give her a small amount every day, which she turns her nose up to now, and she nicks stuff from the old folk. Smelly fish heads, scraps of chicken bones, etc., is her preferred cuisine. She raids their bins and I'm forever picking up plastic bags from the garden. You can take the dog out of the soi, but...

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can relate to that VS. Our dogs are fed fresh BBQ chicken plus biscuits - just moved to Pedigree Chum variety. This is supplemented with our left-overs. Our dogs are all overweight compared to the Soi dogs in the area. People leave food for the Soi dogs, and our dogs (who have everything) look on with envious eyes, and steal food off their poorer cousins at every opportunity (we don't let them keep it BTW).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm Did you bring him from China, Pharvey? Pete :cheers:

and.....do you cook the meat or give it raw? There's a lot of print that raw is best if you can be assured of no parasites by freezing for 3 days or so.
Yep, brought him back from China - and a nightmare that was! :roll: Can't do without him though :oops:

As for the food, normally cooked chicken, rice and fried cabbage ( :shock: )... A treat in the morning, and he's a happy bugger.

Much like the LHG, he doesn't like my language during rugby though .... :oops:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As for Pedigree Chum (or other tinned food), our dog will not touch it - fussy, spoilt (probably)... who knows.

In the UK, we actually find it cheaper to feed him with chicken/liver/kidney rather than "dog food" - he loves it and is doing well.

Chicken I'm sure is freely available, how about liver and kidney?

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm That's a super-cute looking dog, PH.
He is my best friend... no doubt. No idea what I will do when he goes.
VS:-
I decided to step in and give her Pedigree Chum dry food, which has actually done wonders for her coat and she looks healthy. I now give her a small amount every day, which she turns her nose up to now, and she nicks stuff from the old folk. Smelly fish heads, scraps of chicken bones, etc., is her preferred cuisine. She raids their bins and I'm forever picking up plastic bags from the garden. You can take the dog out of the soi, but...

Fair shout to you, but as you say.... Soi Dog.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We still have a dog at our home in Issan (being taken care of by a niece who lives in the home) that is 12+years old and healthy. We adopted her as soon as she was weaned and she has eaten nothing but boiled chicken mixed with rice her whole life.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The below seems to be a common theme when going to home prepared food.

"Dog food ratio of 40 percent protein, 50 percent vegetables and 10 percent starch when deciding on the actual ingredients."

Here you really need to watch how much rice is piled into the bowl each day in comparison to other ingredients. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Our mixed breed is 23 kgs and has a mix of half a 120g sachet of food (chicken in gravy, etc.) with 120 g of small dry biscuit mixed in. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive. She's fed once a day. She's 4 years and healthy (I know because the vet gets to see her a lot, she gets into scrapes).

In the UK I fed my Staffie only on raw pork belly alternated with boiled tripe (v. smelly) or sometimes raw chicken hearts. He was very healthy and his coat glistened and his stool was solid. He lived to 16 (with all his own teeth...).

A lot of guff is talked about dog food recipes, although I think the days of 'they eat what I eat' are gone, assuming that you eat a lot of processed foods. If you eat healthily then that's fine. My parents owned a pet shop and I've had dogs for 60 years, they never bothered with proprietary foods, but as I say, they used to cook proper (well, English) food from scratch.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's another issue...to feed once or twice a day. We have two Golden Retrievers who tip the scale (too heavy) at around 42 and 48 kilos. The Vet has always told us for them it should be twice a day. I think Golden's are prone to bloat and a few other things that 2 feeds helps control.

I've had dogs in the house since the day I was born, but I have to say I've never had the problems close to what I have with these western/temperate climate dogs here in the tropics, especially skin issues that are not food related. They've had tick disease, heart worm, an inordinate amount of parasites for dogs who don't spend much time outdoors, except in the pool! :shock: Their immune systems and/or just their genetics is simply not made for here.....IMO. Perhaps if enough people breed GR's here maybe they'll be fit in a century or so. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 pm That's another issue...to feed once or twice a day. We have two Golden Retrievers who tip the scale (too heavy) at around 42 and 48 kilos. The Vet has always told us for them it should be twice a day. I think Golden's are prone to bloat and a few other things that 2 feeds helps control.
Big difference in size - ours is around 10-12 Kg - he has his meal in the evening, but a couple of "Doggie Treats" first thing in the morning. As for Golden's, I believe they suffer a bit with weight (love their scraps/treats) and their hind legs going at a later age.

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 pm I've had dogs in the house since the day I was born, but I have to say I've never had the problems close to what I have with these western/temperate climate dogs here in the tropics, especially skin issues that are not food related. They've had tick disease, heart worm, an inordinate amount of parasites for dogs who don't spend much time outdoors, except in the pool! :shock: Their immune systems and/or just their genetics is simply not made for here.....IMO. Perhaps if enough people breed GR's here maybe they'll be fit in a century or so. Pete :cheers:
Did not have any real issues in China, but when living in Africa (childhood days), we had countless problems with the dogs - mainly ticks.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Our last two dogs both died naturally from old age a while back and despite me not really wanting another dog at this point, we have ended up with a rather nice mutt that looks similar to a golden retriever, but black and tan in color, and a tail that curls upwards, thereby flashing its ass for the world to see.

This one lives entirely on the same food the in-laws eat, in other words an Isaan diet. :laugh: Although a lot of the food would never ever make it onto my plate, at least it is almost entirely real food, devoid of processed junk. Anybody ready for some intestines and chicken feet soup? :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Since this thread has started, Mrs BB has changed what we feed our dogs. The BBQ'd chicken is no longer on the menu.

She still gives them the Pedigree Chum biscuits, but now pours a gravy over them. The gravy (also Pedigree Chum) costs 20 Baht a sachet, and 1 sachet does for 3 dogs. The dogs absolutely love it - we get 3 clean dishes at every meal, and a considerable cash saving. I've never seen our dogs enjoy their food so much.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18