Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge

Post by kendo »

Can anyone help please
I am having trouble finding the GPS co-ordinates for the Thai-Laos friendship bridge. Google Earth is not working on my phone properly.

Also anyone crossed the bridge into Laos cost and experience etc.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Re: Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge

Post by PeteC »

There's four of them, it depends where you are?

1. Nong Khai in Thailand with Vientiane Prefecture in Laos (17°52′42″N 102°42′56″E)

2. Mukdahan Province in Thailand with Savannakhet in Laos. (16°36′04″N 104°44′09″E)

3. Nakhon Phanom Province in Thailand with Thakhek, Khammouane in Laos (17°29′33″N 104°43′42″E)

4. Chiang Khong District of Thailand and Ban Houayxay in Laos (20°17′N 100°25′E)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Thanks Pete we are in Nong Khai at some temple.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If I remember correctly Thais can go across with only their Thai ID card. You'll have to get a visa from one of the travel offices that are all over the place near the bridge. I forget what they charge but there is profit in it for them. :shock: Be careful with what kind of Thai visa you have and assure you can get back into Thailand with it...or I guess you''ll just come back in with a 30 days visa exempt stamp. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Here's a couple of photos of the friendship bridge. I was surprised to see a train go over it into Laos.
Next trip to Thailand we are going to cross into Laos and stay for a night.
If you look at the columns on the bridge you can see the tide marks of how high the water rises in wet season. Indeed the river bank restaurant where I am standing would be under water.
Attachments
NewImage_728_1296_90(1).jpg
friendship Bridge
friendship Bridge

Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

If you cross the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai into Laos you can get a Visa On Arrival at the Laos side.
The cost is 35 USD for Brits or 1500 baht.....best to pay in US Dollars if you can.
You go to the Visa window before Laos Immigration....fill out the application form,with a couple of photos,I think ? hand in the fee with your passport and then wait till your name is called and the visa will be in your passport.....valid for 30 days.
You can also apply for a visa,beforehand,at the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen if you dont want the hassle of queueing at the border.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Have been told for a few extra Baht they will also give you a special stamp in your passport to say that you have crossed the Australian Friendship Bridge.
Thai's can enter Laos for 3 days without a visa for the cost of 200 Baht.
You can also use US dollars and Thai Baht there.