Cambodia/ Angkor Wat

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
migrant
Addict
Addict

Cambodia/ Angkor Wat

Post by migrant »

Still a few months till we're headed over, but would like to visit Angkor Wat this trip.

I'm hoping for suggestions, places to stay, places to not miss, places to miss, etc.

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cambodia/ Angkor Wat

Post by Norseman »

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ok, its been a good while but here y go

The main "attraction" temples are

Angkor Wat - the big boy, and I do mean big. You can spend a whole day just wandering around this complex... I did. If you suffer from vertigo do not climb up the steps...I had to help someone down who didnt know that coming down the steps look almost vertical ;-)

Angkor Thom - a smaller temple complex nearby that the archaeologists have left in its raw state so mostly un reconstructed and still with trees and vines growing all over it so you can see how the jungle takes a temple over. They filmed Tomb Raider at this one.

The Bayon - again close ish by - this is the one with all the Buddha faces on the towers. Go towards the end of the afternoon or very very early and you can watch the faces change as the rising or setting sun moves across them.

Banteay Srei (pronounced Bantay Sray). This one is a long way out towards the edge and is relatively small, but is one of the most beautiful with lace like stone carvings. Getting there on a motocy taxi is part of the fun. I got back from that trip red from head to toe from all teh road dust.

Ta Prohm - a bit like the Bayon that again has had some jungle growth on it. Close in so easy to get to.

The best way of getting about is to hire a local motocy bloke on a day basis to buzz you between sites - the main complex alone covers about 60 sq miles....its a city. The only longish haul was to Banteay Srei but its good to get a local as they can also add in some local history (around the KR days).

I got a three day ticket rather than three one day ones. The ticketing may well have changed. Three days is the least a temple head like me find enoungh. One day will not be enough so Id recc a three day ticket. Getting out real early is a good recc, or go in off season as the big tour groups really piss on the atmosphere of the place. staying till later in the afternoon also works - the motocy blokes know eher to get some decent grub.

There are plenty of good guesthouses in town, and they can ususally put you in touch with a motocy man. If you are real picky there are some plush hotels near to the complex itself, but they are expensive and soulless.

Mate my recc is keep it local and stick your money in pockets that need it rather than big hotel and restaurant chains. Use local drivers as they know the best routes and will take you to off the beaten track sites and lesser visited temples. Get talking to them and they can fill you in on local superstitions about the temples (giants must have built them) and the black days of the KR years....

Have a great time bro, and take loads of piccys to post here - jealous I am

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ah one more thing bro.

while you are there you will see lots o people missing limbs from landmines. In town there is a souvenier shop that is part of the local land mine victim charity that helps subsidise victim support, buy prosthetics, etc.

Go spend some money in there and help out

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks for the links!!

And thanks Sandman!!! That is a great summary, and ideas!!! :cheers: :cheers: :thumb:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Heading out myself soon on business, with hopefully a few days to look around. Migrant... please let me know how things go and any additional pointers.

Sandman - some great info, so thanks from me as well. :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Angkor Wat area and Siem Reap absolutely terrific. :cheers: :blues: :rasta: :D
If in Phnom Penh first get a Lonely planet (~US$4) at 1 of the markets (eg Russian market or central market). Asia hotel was handy in mid of town and cheap. Unfortunately lots of poor in Cambodia but people are lovely and I admire their spirit. English more widely spoken there than in LOS as I have reported before.
Can recommend the treasures of Angkor by Marila Albanese - glorious plates and accurate descriptions (US$6). Be careful of being offered book that are obviously very good for a US$1 - it is a little con and they try it on and what they mean is US$11 but same can be bought for US $7.
Travel is cheap and food very good as is the draft beer. Take $US. be careful of US $100 (counterfeits). Visa at airport.
Allow for at least 3 days in Siem Reap if you can keep up the pace and are truly interested!
Some nice Silver ware/ stone carvings/Buddha images etc also to be had!!!! Smile and bargain.
Cambodia sure has something over the LOS IMO.
Enjoy the experience.
:clap:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:Heading out myself soon on business, with hopefully a few days to look around. Migrant... please let me know how things go and any additional pointers.

Sandman - some great info, so thanks from me as well. :cheers: :cheers:
Hi Pharvey,

Unfortunately I won't be out there until October, so if you find anything, let me know :cheers:

Charlesh, thanks, good info :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a BBC documentary almost an hour in length if interested. There's about 11,000 other videos about the place on YouTube. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Another area that is worth a visit is Kbal Spean. It is the mountainous area (I think to the north) where a large amount of the stone for the Angkor complex was sourced. The whole area is considered to be sacred, and the river beds and banks are heavily carved with Buddha images and Lingga. There are some areas which are still mined, which provide for an interesting diversion, as the Khmer Rouge still controlled the area as recently as about 2000.

Also, the main lake at Tonle Sap is worth a visit. It is pretty much unique in the world as in one season the lake drains and the next, as the level of water rises in the Mekong, the flow direction changes and it fills up again at a rate of about a foot a day. There are local rice variations apparently which have become highly adapted and can keep pace with the rate of water change.

Added to Angkor, it makes it up to about a week.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Angkor Wat is now on Google street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/ ... 92&fovy=75

EDIT: How Google did it:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

if you go to Siem Reap you must try and restaurant called AHA - small place in a tiny street, brilliant food!