Short stay in Ranong

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Short stay in Ranong

Post by usual suspect »

It seems that 90% of Ex-Pats in HH are on Retirement or 'Working' Visas..well for the rest of you a
'Visa-Run' to Ranong each 90 days may be a regular pain-in-the-butt.
At short notice it was decided that the Mrs & I would go down and couple my visa stamp with a mini-break. (apologies to Tony at this stage..he planned to come with me.. :oops: )

*Getting there: Public Buses to Ranong DO go at night from the 'Southern' Terminal opp. Condo-Chain
on Petkasem Road. They used to leave around 10pm, both 24 seat VIP, & No.1 buses leave roughly
the same time. (There may be 'morning' buses..a trip to bus-station to ask may be worthwhile?).

*Trains: Trains to Chumpon may be another option, then regular mini-vans go to Ranong.
(about one + half hour journey time).

* Or you hire/take your own vehicle:
We left HH ~ 8.30am, drove at a steady 90kph, coupla stops for coffee/toilet, stuff to see etc and there
for about 3-4pm.
IF you are in a car, this means you can do 'detours' and see Tourist Attractions en-route.
*SOUTH of the Bang Saphan turn-off is a blue sign for Wako Beach..here is a nice aquarium..entry fee only 20b I think (not to far from main road, so not to much of a detour).
*If you are a 'Steam Enthusiast' Chumpon rail station has 3 old steamers on display outside.
*Also, just before Ranong you will cross a largish river bridge, just before the bridge turn left off the main road and under the arch marked 'WW2 museum'..a :cheers: bout 1km down here is a large Japanese steam loco left here since 1947. And nice riverside setting.
*Before carrying-on over the bridge to Ranong as you come back & meet the main road again.. there's a 7/11 store opposite.. :thumb:
*Next point of interest down the Ranong road is the new(ish) junction/peel-off to Ranong Port & the Andaman Club..IF you plan on doing an Andaman based Visa-run before getting to Ranong town or plan on staying at the B.C.Badin Resort.. keep left and peel-off HERE..(road takes you to Andaman's Pier/Visa processing centre & B.C.).
** PLEASE NOTE..I'm sure all info for an Andaman Visa-Run is HERE on the forums pages and was very well written/described by Rider..c/w photos.. :cheers:
*CARRY-ON along the main road for Ranong town.
* Next 'OO-ERR place' is the waterfall (trickle) right on the side of the main road..heaps of parking, toilets, restaurant..(Krapow-Moo was crap), and a nice chill area for a while after the long drive down..only about 10 more cliks to town from here.
* When you leave here, the road climbs up quite steeply..at the crest is a viewpoint/lookout over the valley (if you really ARE in no real rush to get to town).

As I said earlier, this was a 'mini-break' so a hotel/Guest Ho. is needed.. :roll:
I checked online, and Mrs U.S. rang the Resort & booked for us.
Our choice was the 'Thansila Resort'. Near to the Hot Springs (500m away), and close to town.
The big hotel on the way into town, on your left is the Jansom Resort Spa/hotel..turn left immediately after this hotel down a small Soi..Thansila is 100m on left. Parking available.
The place is a quirky kinda place..nice in some ways, crap in others.. :roll:
Our room was a large one up on their 3rd floor overlooking the river/stream coming down from the 'Springs'. It was 800B/night, and a basic 'American' breaky was 100B, (do have free tea & coffee in the dining room all the time). Softest bed I've slept on in Thailand.. :D
Wi-Fi was crap, no fridge in room, air-con crap also, but attentive/willing staff, and upper-floors have nice 'landing-areas'..ours had a coupla nice chairs overlooking the river, excellent excuse for excessive wine-consumption after dark... :cheers:
(Plenty of restaurants on main road nearby also, inc. 69B buffet).

Other Resorts include the B.C.Badin Resort..Right next to Andaman's Pier.
Altho' 7 kms out of town, this place has nicely appointed bungalows for 900/night inc. breaky, with views over the estuary from your balcony, & a small pool.

Back to our stay...(Remember we have a car)..the following morning after an early (7.00) breaky, I did my Visa-run, & back for 10.30.After a shower, we ventured up the road to the 'Hot Springs' area..15 mins walk from hotel, 2 min drive.
Well despite the initial tacky,touristy feel it IS a nice area, and DO take time to walk around and chill somewhat.
NOW YOU DID PACK YOUR TRUNKS DID'NT YOU CHILDREN?? :P The Bathing area has 3 pools where the water has been 'cooled' somewhat, and is free (I think) to lay in the tiled shallow pools..changing-rooms/shower booths are there for you. (There's something a bit odd about laying in a nice warm pool outside..while the rain is beating down on you..try it!)
There are restaurants, toilets, the obligatory 'Massage Palours', gift shops etc, but still a mellow place to spend an hour or so. We were there mid-week and parking was not a problem..weekend may be busier..?
Right then, back in the car and onwards, and upwards..following the road uphill for 5-6kms brings you to a Wat compound/area. (follow blue info-signs for the Wat). Here again is a peaceful place where you can feed fish, and climb right up the many steps to the top and get an excellent view of the valley. An hour here is well worth it if you do photography.
(Up this same road is 'Ranong Canyon'..nice area, but we never got there.. :( )

Well it's now mid-afternoon, we're down at the fishing pier area (where the 'longtails' leave for Victoria Point & where the Immigration Office is sited).. and my Mrs is having a good nosey and doing a deal on some crabs.. (and I'm feeling tired after all this photography malarkey) ... :idea:
..I've another bottle of Shiraz waiting back at the room, and 'sundowners' seem to be the next activity on the menu for today.. :cheers: :cheers:

We may leave tomorrow morning, and head back to HH, but as a mini-break we both agree so far it's been worth it. There are other places to visit down here, and with a bit of planning there are many places to visit either coming here or including 'stop-offs' on the way back.
(Tried to upload some photos but seemingly my 'files are invalid..??? ho-hum)
Cheers now..U.S.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Short stay in Ranong

Post by caller »

Nice report US, pity about the photos though!
Talk is cheap
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Landscape.JPG
It's a bit wobbly.JPG
Hot Springs 4.JPG
Dining room on left.JPG
Right then 'Mi Hearties'..lets see if some photos of our trip appear on here..??
Attachments
Old friends.JPG
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Reception & entrance area.JPG
Peaceful place.JPG
Peaceful place.JPG (26.53 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Top floor balcony area.JPG
Two Buddhas 2.JPG
Sitting proud at La-Un.JPG
See wot I can do with mental overload.. :cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Some great pics there US. I particularly like the 'wobbly bridge' one. Cheers pal. :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

US, it may be a bit late now but there are some islands just south of Ranong (Thai territory) that I always meant to visit but never did. The marketing blurb together with photos made them look idyllic.6 odd years ago, they sounded pretty spartan, so maybe not to be visited with kids.
I must have visited/passed through Ranong some 80-90 times in my life here. I did quickly count up the 30 day stamps I had had once and that was approximately the number.
I never stayed overnight there too much. Maybe ten times. The hot springs area was well worth a visit and the food was good and affordable.
Blah blah, I just wish I'd visited those islands.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nice informative report US, thanks. I've just got back from Vietnam and got my 90 days stamp at Swampy but I intend doing a 'run' in 90 days for the first time ever before I get my 'retirement' visa later in the year so I was after some advice on how to do it. :thumb: :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

lomuamart wrote:US, it may be a bit late now but there are some islands just south of Ranong (Thai territory) that I always meant to visit but never did. The marketing blurb together with photos made them look idyllic.6 odd years ago, they sounded pretty spartan, so maybe not to be visited with kids.
I must have visited/passed through Ranong some 80-90 times in my life here. I did quickly count up the 30 day stamps I had had once and that was approximately the number.
I never stayed overnight there too much. Maybe ten times. The hot springs area was well worth a visit and the food was good and affordable.
Blah blah, I just wish I'd visited those islands.
lomuamart The islands you mention are Koh Chang and Koh Payam. I love them both. Koh Chang is the smaller of the two and my favourite. It has no roads and just a few resorts which have a few bungalows among the cashew nut trees and they each have a restaurant and small shop. The ferry gets you close to the beach then you have to hop off and wade the last bit in. Perfect for re charging the batteries. Koh Payam is bigger and has a ferry pier. It is also very nice and you have the choice of luxury resorts or your cheap Thai bungalows on the beach.Some nice beaches and snorkelling to be had and hiring a kayak for the day is also recommended.
The ferries leave from the opposite side of the road from which the longtails go to Burma. About 1 1/2 hours for Chang and 2 and a bit for Payam
Well worth a visit
I used to go there for 3-4 days before my visa run was due and then when I returned to Ranong, hit immigration then would cross over the road, hop on a longtail and do the Burma run before heading back to Chumphon. :thumb:
Last edited by H2ODunc on Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Dunc : A bit of a mix up there - at the beginning you state Koh Chang is smaller than later you state it is bigger!! I'm guessing you meant to say Koh Payam is the smaller ? :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Pagey wrote:Dunc : A bit of a mix up there - at the beginning you state Koh Chang is smaller than later you state it is bigger!! I'm guessing you meant to say Koh Payam is the smaller ? :thumb:

Sorry me on the Chang early. Just to clarify Koh Chang is the smaller island and Payam is the larger.
Both well worth a visit if you have the time and easily incorporated into a visa run.
I've edited the original post as well. Cheers
Another Chang dear please :cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Pagey..I'm happy to help out with info nearer the time of your visa-stamp. DO read Rider's post on page 2 of this section about the Andaman set-up... :cheers: U.S.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

H2ODunc wrote:Sorry me on the Chang early. Just to clarify Koh Chang is the smaller island and Payam is the larger.
According to several websites such as wikitravel Koh Chang is the larger one.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Ranong
(links to island information at the bottom)
H2ODunc wrote:Another Chang dear please :cheers:
Cheers! :cheers:
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

And clicking on the links at the bottom tells you what i say that Chang has no roads or motorbikes for rent and that Payam has small roads and is the bigger island. Having been there a few times I can also tell you this is the case. A lot of people confuse the Koh Chang off the Ranong coast with the large island near Pattaya with the same name.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

You are really confusing me now. Where does it say that Payam is the bigger island?
On the Wikitravel Koh Phayam website it says: "Koh Phayam is the 2nd largest island of Andaman sea in Ranong province, after Koh Chang".
And on -to just pick another one- travel-to-thailand.net it says clearly: "Koh Chang, the largest island in Ranong"

But this might be inaccurate if you say so as on the internet also the mistakes are copied over and over again.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

This article gives a very interesting slant on one of the cultural issues in the regions:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investi ... ay-of-life