VISA for CHINA

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

VISA for CHINA

Post by Dr Mike »

Although I had lived in China for 9years I had a terrible time getting a tourist Visa the last time that I went. They asked for several docs that i did not have and asked one at a time so I had to make 3 visits to the consulate. They have now posted the new requirements on the web page.

You must show 1 A letter of invitation from a company , organization or China resident. My advice get it in Chinese
2 If staying a in a hotel a copy of the booking
3. A copy of the airline ticket and it must be a return ticket
BUT the one that they did not tell me about until I had all the others--As I am not working they wanted a copy of my bank statement and it must be dated in the previous 48 hours--there is a minimal balance that you must have, I think it is 80.000baht.
pharvey

Re: VISA for CHINA

Post by pharvey »

^ They've cracked down like there's no tomorrow Dr M - changed the rules again for mine this year.... although in my case it's just a pain in the @rse with the red tape - I qualify on several points, Chinese wife, property lease, employment etc..... Seriously getting to the point with why bother, but have family to think about.

As for tourist visas, you are far better going through an agent. Yes, you pay over the odds, but there is a guy in HK who has done wonders for myself and others in the past with regard to visas. All legal and above board, he simply has his contacts to make things a little faster and easier.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: As for tourist visas, you are far better going through an agent. Yes, you pay over the odds, but there is a guy in HK who has done wonders for myself and others in the past with regard to visas. All legal and above board, he simply has his contacts to make things a little faster and easier.:cheers: :cheers:
I agree and always go to HK first, then China. The man at the hotel where I stay has been doing things for me for years, either tourist or business, single or multiple entry. Give him the passport, money and sign a few forms and things are back by the next morning, or sometimes the same day. Ask the concierge wherever you stay and 10 to 1 he has someone who can fix you up. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following published yesterday:
China adds visa demands

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/30 ... sa-demands

China has tightened visa rules for visitors, adding requirements for a letter of invitation and proof of hotel reservations in a move that could slow its push to become the world's biggest tourism destination.

Travellers applying for tourist visas, must submit a letter from an "authorised tourism unit," company or person inviting them to China, along with a photocopy of their round-trip ticket and hotel reservation, according to rules posted on the website of China's embassy in Thailand and in other countries.

The rule changes come after Chinese authorities have put foreigners' status in the country under greater scrutiny and sought to clamp down on people entering the country illegally.

The World Tourism Organisation has predicted that China may become the world's biggest destination for tourists by 2015.

"If implemented strictly, the new requirements could have an impact on the number of foreign tourists" and revenue among travel agencies, said Zhang Lu, a Shanghai-based analyst at Capital Securities Corp.

China International Travel Service Corp, the country's biggest tourism company by market value, will "certainly be affected," she said.

The new visa materials were not demanded before Aug. 1, according to visa.ywpw.com, a Texas-based agency that helps customers obtain visas to China. China's embassies and consulates in countries including Thailand, the US, Japan and New Zealand also posted the new rules on their websites.

Tourism Destination
China overtook Spain in 2010 to become the world's third- biggest tourist draw, with 55.7 million visitors that year, behind only France and the US, according to data from the World Bank. That's more than double number of tourist arrivals in 1999, when China saw 27 million visitors.

The Foreign Ministry didn't respond to faxed questions seeking comment Wednesday.

In mid-May, Beijing began a 100-day campaign aimed at cracking down on foreigners working or living in the country without proper documentation.

The National People's Congress, the country's legislature, approved a new law June 30 that increased the penalty for illegally entering or working in the country.

In a blog post in May, a top host for China's state-owned national television station, Yang Rui, said Chinese police should focus on Sanlitun and another Beijing neighborhood, Wudaokou, to "arrest foreign thugs and protect innocent girls."
............................................................^^^^^^^^

I hope you don`t visit this area pharvey.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

[Quote Nereus - Bangkok Post] "Travellers applying for tourist visas, must submit a letter from an "authorised tourism unit," company or person inviting them to China, along with a photocopy of their round-trip ticket and hotel reservation, according to rules posted on the website of China's embassy in Thailand and in other countries."

I don't think this has particularly changed.

The letter - Easily sorted by the agent as was (and is) the norm.
Ticket - A round trip ticket has always been required by the airlines, as it's their responsibility to return you to you port of departure. Airlines will not allow you on the plane without a visa, a visa will not be issued without a return ticket...... has been the same regarding China and certain other countries for years. I hold 2 UK passports - perfectly legal, purely due to visa issues.
Hotel - Any booking is confirmed immediately with immigration, mine included (after 12 years) - they know exactly where I and others are - don't believe otherwise.

[EDIT] Regardless - The agent in HK will sort all....

Anyway... don't bloody bother, stick to Thailand!! :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Almost opposite the consulate, 100m further down the Soi, is a Thai business that acts as an agent, I have used them in the past--when I went the last time they told me that they could only work for Thai citizens now.

As the quote above mentions there is a huge crack down in Beijing, more than other cities, on expats living there and working illegally--this is part of that. The gossip in the consular waiting room was that the backpackers were having less trouble than middle aged men.
It is another example how in Asia the different ministries do not talk to each other--the Chinese tourism authority has a huge budget to attract tourists but the Imm dept makes it difficult.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

After a nightmare gettinga China Visa a few months ago I went yesterday full of apprehension and concluded the business in less than 30 mins. As always in Asia, its not what is the rule but also what rules are being enforced.
One difference there are very good signs taped to the windows in the Visa section telling what is needed.
I went the afternoon before and got a application form and supplemental form as they are big. Be sure to fill in the section on the 2nd page of the Supplemental application form if you are non-Thai, applying from Thailand

1 Copy of Airline booking (I did not pay for ticket untill I got the Visa)
2. Copy of Hotel reservation, easy to get and you dont have to stay there. Saying you are staying with friends is MUCH too difficult
3 Letter of invitation if you are going on business but fora tourist visa not needed.
4. For retirees-- make a copy of your retirement Visa stamp in your PP. Make a copy of any previous China Visas. A copy of the face page of your bank book and copy of last page to show balance over ?????? i was well over and forget the minmum.
5 2300 baht
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Poor Dr. Mike. :shock: I recently visited China from Sydney and found in my case the tourist visa issuing was relatively easy. Getting forms and arranging appointments was done via their website. I visited their outsourced visa office in Sydney and picked up the visas three days later. No mentioned of funds required and I fudged my accomodation details as I did not book accomodation until just before i left. I did have to dig out details of past visas.
I also obtained an Vietnamese visa at the same time. Saying thank you to the official in Vietnamese did wonders and he halved the expected waiting time. :P
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

No, the last time it was painless. The difference being the regulations are now displayed, they were not previously. I had problems with the bank book. That is why I am informing the forum readers to take that info with them--Also EVERY consulate enforces the rules differently, Sydney may be a lot more elaxed than BKK>
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thanks for that useful information Dr. Mike. Mr.VS and I are planning a rather adventurous overland trip back to the UK in May this year. We'll obviously be visiting (and passing through) China on a train, so we won't have airline tickets for our exit. We'll have hotels booked, and a detailed plan of our trip.

Has anyone been to China recently? What problems, if any, did you have getting a visa?

VS

(P.S. Has anyone reading this tried to get a visa for Belarus?)
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Things change from month to month, at the moment it is relatively easy. China is reevaluating the status of many expats in the last year, esp in Beijing. There is an attitude, do we really needed all these expats here. There is a feeling that men travelling alone are scrutinised more than tour groups or families.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Vital Spark wrote:Mr.VS and I are planning a rather adventurous overland trip back to the UK in May this year. We'll obviously be visiting (and passing through) China on a train
Do tell more VS - it sounds fascinating! Trans Siberian?
Talk is cheap
zevon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by zevon »

The information is appreciated. Can anyone advise current requirements for a business visa
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Caller: I may start a new thread on the trip, once we get things sorted. We're still in the complicated planning stage. No, we're not going Trans Siberian - we going further south through Kazakhstan as it would be more interesting for overnight stops off the train. Belarus is now off the itinerary as they were demanding ridiculous amounts of money for us to sleep our way through their country. Ukraine has replaced it, and it'll give us the opportunity to try to find some chicken in Kiev. :wink:

Mr.VS sent an email to the Chinese Embassy for some advice. Their reply was: "Take any paperwork to the Visa section, and they will decide if they will issue you with a visa." Helpful, huh?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

It really does sound fascinating and an exciting journey. When you get the route sorted, please post a route map. This is something that I have always wanted to do and never had the time or courage to attempt.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain