'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok on Jan 13

Post by Nereus »

Terry wrote:Nereus
You could be right - mind you I never bothered to ask them where they were going.......... :wink:
Interesting times
I guess that this is where they were heading, Terry:

Blockade not affecting customs work

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... r-official

The blockade of the Customs Department will not affect the work of the department, the department's deputy director-general Yuthana Yimkarun said.

Mr Yuthana said this after holding talks with Sathit Segal, a People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) core member who led a group of protesters from Lumpini to lay siege to the Customs Department in Khlong Toey area.

He said the blockade would not disrupt shipments of goods since the department had taken measures to prevent that happening. The protesters had agreed to return to Lumpini after the symbolic seizure, he added.

Mr Sathit said the PDRC only wanted to show it wants government officials to stand on the people's side but would not do anything to harm the country's economy.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Two old friends got into HH at 11.00pm last night by airport taxi from Swampy...they said the roads were unaffected all the way past BKK.. :) :)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Day 2 – p.m.
Well – I did say – “Return journey this evening will be via BTS and Central World - might get interesting!”
It was.
Had a meeting with a Company based in the offices at Central World – right in the middle of one of the main demo areas.
Departed Chon Nongsi around 3.00p.m. and took the BTS to Siam. Passing the corner of Lumpini Park I noticed that the crowds had grown – along with the number of those camping out.
Changed at Siam and went one stop east on Sukhumvit Line to Chidlom.
It was interesting that around 30 - 40% of the passengers on the BTS were demonstrators.
Walked back along the skywalk towards Siam to get to the entrance of Central World. The skywalk has been turned into a shady rest area and demo sales market for your ‘T-shirts’, plastic clapping hands, bandanas, whistles, flags and ‘Yinluk Get Out’ banners…………
20140114_151504.jpg
20140114_151504.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Had my meeting which lasted only 30 minutes so was able to make my way back to Sukhumvit Soi 20.
Walking back to Chidlom Station I noticed that for the FIRST TIME EVER IN 22 YEARS of being in Thailand that the Erawan Shrine was CLOSED
20140114_152000.jpg
20140114_152000.jpg (65.57 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Crowds to the North in Ratchadamri Road had diminished a little compared to yesterday – but just maybe they were taking a sun –break
20140114_151915.jpg
20140114_151915.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 815 times
20140114_153212.jpg
20140114_153212.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Took the BTS to Asoke and unlike yesterday I got off and braved the skywalk below
Things haven’t changed much since yesterday except that Sukhumvit between Asoke and Soi 20 has been turned into a 2 lane car park westbound and a camping ground eastbound.
20140114_153457.jpg
20140114_153457.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Are the protests working?.....................Don’t know
Anyway – no report tomorrow as I have to spend the day in Nonthaburi
dvolante9

URGENT PLEASE RESPOND!

Post by dvolante9 »

Hello all I need to get out of BKK tomorrow morning and I have very little money. Does anybody know if the mini bus station at victory monument is still running or have the protesters shut it down? Thanks for any reply
buksida

Post by buksida »

This twitter feed has a lot of updates: http://twitter.com/search?q=%23bangkokshutdown
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following list supposedly shows closed areas, but it is likely to change daily:

Restricted areas declared

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ncy-decree

Published: 24 Jan 2014 at 13.17Online news: .Police chief Adul Saengseingkaew on Friday issued the first notice under the emergency decree prohibiting individuals or groups of people from entering 13 building compounds and 25 roads unless authorised to do so.

The restricted building premises are Government House, parliament, the Interior Ministry, Chaeng Wattana government complex, Cat Telecom Company on Chaeng Wattana Road, TOT Plc, Thaicom satellite station and its ground service office, Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Ltd, the Police Club, state enterprises, local administration organisations and other state agencies.

The restricted roads are Ratchasima, Phitsanulok and roads around Government House and parliament areas, Rama I, Ratchadaphisek, Sukhumvit from Nana intersection to Soi Sukhumvit 19, Ratchavithi from Tukchai intersection to Din Daeng Triangle, Lat Phrao from Lat Phrao intersection to Kamphaengphet intersection, Chaeng Wattana Road, and one bridge, Rama 8, which is currently being occupied by the Dhamma Army.

Pol Gen Adul also issued a second notice prohibiting people from carrying weapons or objects that can be used as weapons in the restricted areas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I'll ask my question more directly - does anybody know if the Thai Passport Office at Pinklao has been affected? I need to go there next week if everything is OK.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:OK, I'll ask my question more directly - does anybody know if the Thai Passport Office at Pinklao has been affected? I need to go there next week if everything is OK.
Didn`t know that there was one at Pinklao? Last week it was published that all matters concerning Thai Passports be taken to the office at Central Dept Store at Bang Na.
Coming from Hua Hin that would also be a better option using the ring road (9).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks for that. Do you know if that one is open please?

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:OK, thanks for that. Do you know if that one is open please?
No idea, but why else would they bother to post for people to go there? It is a long way from any of the blocked areas, so unlikely to be closed. It is also a "normal" office, so it is not relying on staff from the main office, which is blocked.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy, I don't know if it is open but I would think so as it is far from downtown and the office is actually located inside the underground garage below Central. That's where my wife goes too and while she is waiting I go across the garage to browse the best Tops Supermarket I've ever seen on the same (garage) level.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:No idea, but why else would they bother to post for people to go there?
TIT :wink:

Seriously, thank you very much guys (Nereus and HH Farang). I don't know Bangkok at all (maybe that's why I hate it :oops: ), but it looks as though you've saved me both a wasted trip, and a lot of earache from my wife. :bow:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Pattaya papers have been printing a notice not to come to the Pattaya Thai passport branch, but to go to Bang Na. Pattaya is not self contained and electronically sends everything to the Bangkok main office which is the one blocked I guess. As Nereus mentioned, Bang Na is a full office that can produce and issue the passports directly from there. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
mo1

Post by mo1 »

I need to go to Sukhomvit soi 19 in Bangkok, does anyone know ifit is ok to drive there from Hua Hin?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

mo1 wrote:I need to go to Sukhomvit soi 19 in Bangkok, does anyone know ifit is ok to drive there from Hua Hin?
http://stickmanbangkok.com/Bangkok-Prot ... 013-18.htm

"Intersections and roads that may be open by day are often closed by night. Sukhumvit Road near Asoke becomes a car park with two, sometimes three rows of cars parked up. More checkpoints are being erected with piles of tyres blocking some roads forcing vehicles to turn around. Few are allowed to pass through."

Asoke (23) intersection is closed. I have not been down there, but I would not attempt to drive there. Park out someplace and take the BTS.