In Vietnam's capital, old town braces for makeover

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

In Vietnam's capital, old town braces for makeover

Post by PeteC »

If you want to experience it like BB, Buksida and others have, you better go within the next few years at latest. :(

".....But with property values high, this neighborhood could change dramatically in the coming years as similar ones already have in Singapore, Shanghai and many other cities. Authorities want to begin gentrifying the Old Quarter by relocating 6,200 households between this year and 2020. New construction is likely a few years away, but some residents already have been relocated........."

http://news.yahoo.com/vietnam-39-capita ... 44153.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Re: In Vietnam's capital, old town braces for makeover

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I don't know, Pete. The first time I visited Vietnam was in 2001 and very litte changed from there to 2008, when I last went there. Naturally, if you only stay in big cities or tourist spots, a lot will change. But for the rest of the country, it will be a slow train coming.

A bit similar, I first visited Vientiane in 1990 and the last time I went there in 2007, very little had changed. And, yet, most of the changes must be good for the locals.

Must say, I'd be interested in seeing Shanghai and Guangzhou now. My first visits there were in 1986. :D