Photographic Road Trip Report to Krabi Area

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Photographic Road Trip Report to Krabi Area

Post by Big Boy »

Firstly, I would like to thank everybody on Hua Hin Forum who provided ideas/recommendations, which made this trip so enjoyable

Day 1 - 11.05.2014 – Travel Khao Sok National Park

Our first day was meant to be a travel day only, but we left at 8am and headed towards Khao Sok National Park. My SatNav advised that I’d be driving for 8 hours, and we’d have to schedule in a few breaks. I hoped to arrive before dark (allowing for the odd wrong turning etc).

Well, we had 3 breaks (breakfast, lunch and shopping), and I pulled up to the hotel at 14:06. Roads were fairly quiet all the way down, and the only hold ups were 3 police road blocks and traffic lights. My SatNav was brilliant.

On recommendation, we drove straight to the park, and aimed for the on-site accommodation.
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
DSC05288b.JPG (165.3 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
We were a little away from the lake (2 miles?), but the setting was very quiet – The Kuan Latbatpha Hotel. My wife negotiated a room rate of 1000 Baht (£20) for the night (which I thought was a little steep). We got to our room, which was large, but……………………………

• It smelt of damp (my wife even removed a slug from the wall).
• Only half of the lights worked.
• We were given a check list of room items, and what we would have to pay if any were missing on check out. Several items were not there.
• My wife had been following a Thai Soap, and the last night was tonight – Channel 7 did not work on the TV.
• There was no drinking water.
• The place was crawling with ants.
The Kuan Latbatpha Hote
The Kuan Latbatpha Hote
DSC05285b.png (350.47 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
The smelly room
The smelly room
DSC05282b.png (362.87 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
My wife decided not to complain, and we would put up with it.

A quick shower, and we decided to go out exploring (no idea where to go). There doesn’t seem to be many options open to the public through the park, and I came across a sign in English pointing to View Point – seemed like a good idea.

I parked in the ample car park, and my wife spotted some shops (yes, I’d brought her all of this way at her request to see things in the South, and she left me to look at tourist tat). The views were breathtaking, and I had a good wander around. I took a few photos, and returned to the car, where my wife was waiting. I’d seen that I could show her some of the views by driving the car, so took the scenic route.
Views
Views
DSC05290b.JPG (143.31 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05292b.JPG (143.45 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05293b.JPG (120.31 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05294b.JPG (141.55 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05295b.JPG (124.07 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05296b.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05298b.JPG (143.22 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05300b.JPG (148.99 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Views
Views
DSC05307b.JPG (134.99 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
We then headed off to find out where we’d get a boat to sail around the lake tomorrow. When we got there, my wife got out of the car and negotiated a boat and parking for 1,500 Baht (£30), which was a lot less that I’d been led to believe. The downside was, that we had to be at the pier for 7am. It will be interesting to see what we actually get for 1,500 Baht (I was expecting 2,400 Baht).

Feeling tired after the long journey, and having to start early in the morning, we grabbed a bite to eat, and headed back to the hotel for the night.

When we got the hotel, my wife had grown a pair, and decided to complain about the room. Mr Fixit turned up, and replaced 1 light bulb, and said he’d be back. 1 hour later, he didn’t come back. My wife went back to reception, and complained very strongly – we were moved next door. Everything is perfect in the new room apart from still being overrun by ants (I hate ants).

Next installment - on the lake at Khao Sok. How will it compare to Halong Bay?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Re: Photographic Road Trip Report to Krabi Area

Post by Gérard »

Thanks for your report and nice pictures, as always, Big Boy !
I have never been to Khao Sok but will probably go one day.
What I know that you can compare to Halong Bay is Phang Nga Bay. Your pictures will tell us how Khao Sok is, then.
Cheers !
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On the lake at Khao Sok pictures will be published on Monday. You'll have to wait until then I'm afraid :wink: .

Points 48; Position 20
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Big Boy,
What Sat Nav do you use and what version of maps? Many Thanks.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Big Boy wrote:On the lake at Khao Sok pictures will be published on Monday. You'll have to wait until then I'm afraid :wink: .
Don't be afraid, I will be able to wait until Monday :D
Thanks in advance !
buksida

Post by buksida »

I forgot to mention that the accommodation at the dam wasn't the Hilton. :oops:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Thanks a lot.

Seriously, once we'd swapped rooms, it was fine. Internet was better than I have at home. Regarding the bit about ants - don't read too much into that, as I have a bit of a phobia about ants. I still think 1000 Baht per night was a bit steep, but they have a captive audience. We'd probably stay there again if we went.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

12.05.2014 – On the Lake at Khao Sok/Travel to Krabi (AoNang)

Up at 05:30 this morning for our trip on the lake. Left the room at 06:30, loaded the car, and we were on our way. Knowing our way around a little bit, we took the short cut via the viewpoint. Clouds were quite low, and there was a light morning mist on the water. I stopped en-route to take a couple of photos of the first dam, and a view of the lake, which looked different as the sun rose.
Sunrise over the lake
Sunrise over the lake
DSC05311b.png (343.48 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
I stopped en-route to take a couple of photos of the first dam
I stopped en-route to take a couple of photos of the first dam
DSC05312b.png (387.62 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
We arrived at the pier at 06:45, and sought out our man – nowhere to be seen. I went for a wander to see what was about, while my wife sorted our ride. Eventually, I was summoned to a ticket office where I was told that I had to pay 200 Baht – my wife paid it, and told me that it had to be paid extra (no explanation as to why). This puzzled me for a while, but eventually the Baht dropped – entrance to the National Park.
the pier at 06:45
the pier at 06:45
DSC05314b.png (430.08 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
I am always nervous getting on and off of a long tailed speedboat, and being a true gentleman, I sent my wife first. I found myself stood there with one foot on the boat, and one on the jetty. My second foot did not want to join its partner on the boat. I eventually built up courage, and it was a mad dash to my seat. I put the (Thai sized) inadequate life vest on, and we were away. The clouds were still low across the mountains, and the thin mist was still sweeping along the lake. Of course being Thailand, anything to cool you down is welcome, unlike my brass monkey experience at Halong Bay, Vietnam a few months ago.
Our long tailed speedboat
Our long tailed speedboat
DSC05319b.png (351.64 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
As the boat sped along, I noticed water entering the boat through the cracks at quite a speed. Never mind, I had my half a life vest on. Seriously, we made it back, so I guess it must have been OK.

The limestone karsts were spectacular, and the boatman got us up very close to them. I have been trying to work out how it compares with Halong Bay. This boat went quite fast as opposed to the slow cruise of the Halong Bay Junks. I think Halong Bay wins it because of the luxury of the junks, but both places are worth serious consideration for anybody’s bucket list.
Getting to the really pretty bit.
DSC05331b.png (352.14 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05335b.png (369.13 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05338b.png (365.05 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05342b.png (402.82 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05351b.png (387.26 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Limestone karsts everywhere - beautiful.
DSC05354b.png (368.18 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05356b.png (436.48 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05359b.png (446.5 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05361b.png (425.74 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05363b.png (432.42 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05366b.png (357.06 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05377b.png (416.86 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05383b.png (401.63 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05386b.png (421.63 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05400b.png (391.21 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
The boatman then took us over to the floating hotel. I guess it’s whatever floats you boat (oops), but I personally couldn’t think of staying anywhere worse. The rooms looked very small, and imagine (don’t know) that they’d be riddled with mosquitoes. It seemed that every boat stopped here, so I guess somebody would be selling tourist tat. The floating rafts were heaving with people rubber necking – absolutely no privacy for those poor people who were staying there. There was nothing here at all to interest me, so I told the boatman not to stop – not a popular request.
The boatman then took us over to the floating hotel.
DSC05411b.png (472.66 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
DSC05414b.png (510.39 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
On our return journey, I noticed more and more butterflies of various varieties flying over the lake. When we’d docked, there were butterflies everywhere providing quite a spectacle of colour.

We left the jetty, and returned to our car, which had benefited from the early morning ‘free’ car parking. I set the SatNav for our hotel in Krabi, and we were on our way again. Almost immediately I was given an idea of the rest of the journey. The road from the pier is quite narrow and windy. A tour bus approached around a bend, and as I was going past the bus, a stupid motorcyclist decided it was Buddha’s will that he should overtake the bus with absolutely no room for him to do so. I could see the fear on the idiot’s face as he must have assumed Buddha was calling him. Luckily, my car can handle rough terrain, so I threw 2 wheels off the road (there was a downward sloping bank on my left), and with a lot of strength managed to retain control to let him pass – I should imagine he needed clean underwear at least.

The road from Hua Hin to Khao Sok had mainly been dual carriageway at least. No such luck on the road from Khao Sok to Krabi. There were a lot of hideously slow vehicles and some outrageous overtaking (not by me) most of the way. Beautiful limestone karsts accompanied us for most of the journey. Final ‘almost’ disaster was a mile before our hotel. I stopped at a pharmacy for my wife. There was just enough room to fit my car alongside the black and white section of pavement. My wife took about a minute in the pharmacy, and returned so that we could complete our journey. I put the car into reverse, but I had hardly started reversing (a couple of inches), when I heard some Thai chap ranting and raving. The nice gentleman (read dickhead) had parked his motorcycle directly behind me – it was totally blind to me. He must have known how stupid it was, because he reacted so quickly. Maybe my reactions were too quick, and he was hoping that I’d crush his bike. I gave him a few choice words, and was on my way.

We arrived at our hotel, The AoNang Goodwill Hotel at 11am. I’d booked this hotel because of the Agoda recommendation, which included car parking. I sent my wife inside to find out what time check in started, and to ask where the car parking was. Check in was from 12pm, and car parking was street parking. Well done Agoda!! We later found out that their claim to cater for the disabled did not include an elevator – my wife would have to struggle with the stairs. Fortunately we were only on the 2nd floor. At least Agoda do ask for feedback – it was their highest rated hotel in Krabi.
The AoNang Goodwill Hotel
The AoNang Goodwill Hotel
DSC05432b.png (447.15 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
An hour to kill, so I drove out to see where tomorrow’s boat to PhiPhi Island departed from. It was fairly easy to find, and there is plenty of car parking there.

Check in was fairly routine, and the room itself was very good – exactly as described. We had a quick shower, and then out to explore.

On our way to the passenger terminal, we’d discovered that Ao Nang Beach was just down the road. We caught a tuk tuk for just 60 baht (£1.20). I took a couple of photos (could see a storm was on its way). It was very windy, which did nothing to encourage my wife that boat trips were a good idea while we were here.
I took a couple of photos (could see a storm was on its way).
We then started searching for lunch. We soon learnt that Krabi must be the Pizza capital of the world. I think everywhere sells Pizza. We came across quite a few likely looking India Restaurants with likely names like Maharajah and Taj Mahal, but what did they advertise? Pizza. So we had Pizza for lunch (as the heavens emptied their load outside.

A long look around the tourist tat on sale, and then back to the hotel for a snooze before this evening’s meal. The question was, would we be eating Pizza?

During our afternoon stroll, we had spotted a few likely suspects for meeting our nutritional needs. Every one of the ‘probables’ had closed. Just when we thought that we’d have to choose between Italian Pizza or Indian Pizza, we came across a place with loads of pictures of Thai food on the outside. My poor wife hadn’t eaten rice today, and need her fill.

In we walked, and took a seat near the fan. We ordered drinks while being handed a menu. Opened the menu, and couldn’t initially find any Thai Food. There were several pages of Pizza and Pasta dishes. Then we spotted it – there was a choice of Pad Thai or Tom Yum. The offered each dish in 4 varieties, vegetarian, pork, chicken or shrimp. I’m now left with the thought of Pizza for breakfast.

It’s another early start in the morning as we travel to Phi Phi Island for the day.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote:
The limestone karsts were spectacular, and the boatman got us up very close to them. I have been trying to work out how it compares with Halong Bay. This boat went quite fast as opposed to the slow cruise of the Halong Bay Junks. I think Halong Bay wins it because of the luxury of the junks, but both places are worth serious consideration for anybody’s bucket list.
I used the comparison based on the topography, not the boats!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Well Big Boy at least you have street parking. I worked in Ao Nang a few years ago. In the peak there would have been no street parking where you are staying. You would end up driving up and down the road doing 5 km an hour hoping that someone is just pulling out.

If you are still in Ao Nang check out the seafood restaurants on stilts directly on the beach. Bit like Hua Hin but smaller places. There are (where?) six or seven of them in a row with the seafood and fish displayed on ice. Often went there when I had visitors. Never been disappointed. You find them if you follow the beach road and then when the road tursn right -away from the beach - right in that corner. Or drive a little farther passed the Krabi Resort on your left and look out for the Blue Mango. There is also an Indian restaurant next door that seems to be good. Looking forward to the next photo's.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, Krabi was last week. We walked right along AoNang's beaches (at least I thought we had :oops: ), and never saw the restaurants on stilts.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
I used the comparison based on the topography, not the boats!
Of course, you were right, but I think the karsts were comparable. To me the big difference was cruising around one sight being waited upon hand and foot for couple of days or rushing there and back in a couple of hours with water lapping around my feet. Scenery wise, I wouldn't like to choose. However, for the sheer luxury, Halong Bay takes it.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

13.05.2014 – Phi Phi Island

It was another early start today considering we are supposed to be on holiday. A quick breakfast in the hotel, and then a drive down to the Krabi Passenger Terminal. My wife and I were panicking initially on the drive because this was the third time to SatNav had negotiated this route, and it was the 3rd different route it had taken us. No worries though, we were there at 08:05 for an 08:30 check-in.
Krabi Passenger Terminal
Krabi Passenger Terminal
DSC05440b.png (394.64 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Check in was painless, and we boarded the boat – a little smaller than I’d expected, but more than ample for the task. We entered the seating area, and there was a strong smell of stale diesel – thinking back to my deep sea fishing days in the UK, nothing was more certain to make me sea sick. I opted to spend most of the journey on the upper deck.
we boarded the boat
we boarded the boat
DSC05445b.png (346.73 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
As we departed Krabi, we went past the vast mangrove forest, and the oyster beds. The sea was very calm, so the cruise was very smooth, and a non-event. That was until one of boats sister boats en-route from Phi Phi to Phuket pulled alongside, and there was a transfer of some passengers at sea – just as well it was calm. Why this transfer took place will have to remain as one of life’s mysteries.
mangrove forest
mangrove forest
transfer of some passengers at sea
transfer of some passengers at sea
DSC05467b.png (416.81 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
As we approached what turned out to be Phi Phi Island, it looked huge, and not at all how it looked on photographs I’d seen. Then we turned a corner, and we entered a hive of maritime activity. The sea had turned to a colour that you normally experience on postcards, but never believe it’s that colour. This looked very nice, and I could at last envisage photos that I’d seen in the past.
Phi Phi Island looked huge, and not at all how it looked on photographs I’d seen
Phi Phi Island looked huge, and not at all how it looked on photographs I’d seen
DSC05468b.png (385.47 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
I could at last envisage photos that I’d seen in the past.
I could at last envisage photos that I’d seen in the past.
DSC05473b.png (365.71 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
We disembarked at the Jetty, and duly paid our 20 Baht (40p) to keep Phi Phi Island clean – compared with many Thai places I’ve been to, this 20 Baht tax works.
paid our 20 Baht (40p) to keep Phi Phi Island clean
paid our 20 Baht (40p) to keep Phi Phi Island clean
DSC05480b.png (470.74 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
I’ve read on the Internet many times people talking about the quality of the water in the South of Thailand, and I’ve always thought what a bunch of moaning Minnie’s, and have written their comments off as containing a lot of BS. Well, I apologise for all of those previous thoughts – I looked over the side of the jetty, which was fairly deep water and I was gob smacked at what I saw. The water was very clear (I’ve seen dirtier fish tanks), and I could see everything to the bottom. There were layers of different coloured fish – this in itself was worth the trip. I’d never seen sea water this colour, or this clear.
The water was very clear (I’ve seen dirtier fish tanks)
The water was very clear (I’ve seen dirtier fish tanks)
DSC05520b.png (367.05 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
My wife and I wandered through the streets which are devoid of motor vehicles apart from the police, who go around on little scooters and pushbikes. This in itself was quite a novelty. The streets themselves were quite colourful, with a combination of bars, restaurants, tourist tat shops and dive shops. We’d done enough wandering about together, so I left my wife to wander around the tourist tat, while I sought out the famous Beach View Point.
wandered through the streets
DSC05487b.png (468.06 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
DSC05488b.png (474.31 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
As a bye the bye, a friend of mine came to Phi Phi Island 22 years ago, and also visited the view point. It was his photos that have made me want to follow in his footsteps ever since. Mind you, in his photos, there weren’t many buildings on the causeway, it was mainly sand. I was fortunate enough to find a photo showing a similar view in our hotel, so I took a photo of the photo.
a photo of the photo
a photo of the photo
DSC05527b.png (423.69 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
I found the stairway to the view point eventually, which is also the Tsunami evacuation route. I’ve had some climbs in recent months, but this baby takes the biscuit. I would guess the extreme heat played a major factor in this climb. Just when I thought I was almost there, the stairs actually got steeper, although this was complimented by the addition of a hand rail. I know they say there’s no fool like an Englishman, but it was almost midday and the sweat was dripping from me. As I approached the top of the stairs, there was a sign stating that it would cost me 20 Baht to get in. The smallest denomination in my wallet was a 1,000 Baht. Surely, I hadn’t come all of this way to get turned away – I was hoping they would have change.
the stairway to the view point
the stairway to the view point
DSC05495b.png (508.62 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Just when I thought I was almost there, the stairs actually got steeper
Just when I thought I was almost there, the stairs actually got steeper
DSC05497b.png (534.4 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
it would cost me 20 Baht to get in
it would cost me 20 Baht to get in
DSC05499b.png (477.7 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
I got to the pay booth, and thankfully, the young girl had plenty of change. There were now 2 pathways (and a very pretty garden). I asked her which way I should go, and she indicated the right hand pathway. This started almost flat, but got steeper and steeper – I was knackered.
a very pretty garden
a very pretty garden
DSC05500b.png (559.84 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Eventually, after a couple of breaks I reached view point 1. There were a couple of well positioned chairs there in the shade. Even though they were plastic, I made an exception and joined about a dozen others fighting for breath, whilst swimming in a pool of sweat. I took a few photos, and listened to the conversations going on around me.
view point 1
view point 1
DSC05504b.png (551.51 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
view point 1
view point 1
Slightly rejuvenated, I decided to move on to View Point 2. Wow, I thought I’d done steep, but this was getting silly. I eventually made it to the top, and immediately bought some water – 25 Baht for an 8 Baht 7-11 bottle of water. I needed it, so couldn’t care less. I sat on a rock under a tree, and started snapping away – this was where my friend had been 22 years ago, and now it was my turn. Then the dreaded phone call – how long are you going to be?
View Point 2
View Point 2
DSC05509b.png (429.61 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
View Point 2
View Point 2
DSC05510b.png (499.43 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
View Point 2
View Point 2
I’d done what I’d come here for, so it was down again. The steep pathway was a killer on the backs of my legs, and after the steepest of the steps (with handrails), the remaining steps were a challenge (my knees had turned to rubber.

I worked my way back through the maze of streets to our agreed rendezvous point. My dear wife had a cold bottle of water waiting for me, which was very welcome.

We had lunch, did a bit of shopping and spent the rest of our short stay on the island sat at a beachside bar, people watching.

I did reflect on the high prices on the island – it definitely wasn’t cheap here. Then as I was musing about reasons why, the answer sailed into the bay. A converted fishing boat bringing in supplies – of course everything has to be shipped here from the mainland. An on-cost is inevitable.

As we left the island, the heavens opened – excellent timing. We were even treated to a twister during the storm. So that was Phi Phi island.
treated to a twister during the storm
treated to a twister during the storm
DSC05523.png (368.19 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Back to the hotel for a long overdue (after my climb) shower, and then out for an evening meal. Incidentally, we tried the nearest restaurant to the hotel – extensive Thai food menu, not expensive and no pizza. Another early(ish) night, because tomorrow sees another early start when we go to James Bond Island.

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Another great review. I too have tackled that staircase, and in my relative prime in my mid-thirties I found it very very very tough going to the point that the view at the top become irrelevant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I not only like your photo's but your reporting is also very entertaining Big Boy. Many thanks. I visited the Phi Phi view point five or six years ago. There was no charge then. But refreshing to see a 20 Baht charge for all instead of 20 Baht for Thais and 200 for farangs!
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.