Koh Tao.

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Koh Tao.

Post by huahin4ever »

I'm considering a weekend trip to Koh Tao together with my wife. Neither myself or my wife have ever been there, so some tips would be greatly appreciated. We plan to drive from Hua Hin down to Chumphon, from there I believe there is a ferry going to the Island?

1. Do I bring the car over to the Island on the ferry, or leave it behind in Chumphon?
2. If we need to leave the car behind, is it safe to do so, and where?
3. Which area can be recommended on the Island itself? I'm looking for scenery and maybe secluded bungalows. Any resort/hotel that can be recommended?
4. Prize range not so important. I want this to be a luxurious weekend.

We are planning for a nice, quiet and romantic weekend :wink: :naughty:
YNWA
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: Koh Tao.

Post by Gus »

HH4E
Iam not sure if you live in Hua Hin, if you do then the Lomprayah (sp) takes some beating. An air con coach picks you up at the Clock tower or nearby just after 8-00am, then about a 4 hour journey with a stop to the Lomprayah pier outside Chumphon.
The high speed catamaran whisks you to Ko Tao in just over an hour. There will be songthaews waiting to transport you to your hotel, I shouldn't bother driving on the Island, it is not really worthwhile, although you could hire a motorcycle if you are that way inclined.
I think the return high speed boat is about 10-30am and you arrive back about 5-00pm.
Check out their web site but the fare will be around 3200 return for the two of you.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Seems like not many on the forum has been to Koh Tao. Very little info to get. I have searched online and found out that there are both speed boats and car ferries. Anyway I'm not planning to take my car over to the island so parking in Chumphon would be the way to go for me. I'm not interested in taking any bus. I hate riding buses.
YNWA
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've been several times but not recently. You can drive to the ferry port which is about 20kms south of Chumphon city and leave the car there for 50 baht a day. The Lomprayah leaves at 1300 and takes about an hour and fifteen to get to the island.

The busy part is Sairee beach on the west coast, but there are plenty of secluded resorts around the island. Accommodation is plentiful, you can book online and read reviews here: http://huahinforum.com.r24.asia/kohtao/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

If you don't mind spending a bit extra (you said price range is not so important...), or are going as a three or four some, and don't want to worry about the car, a taxi to the Lomprayah pier at Chumpon is about 3000bt. Then I think the boat is about 600-800bt each. There are two sailings, I think the morning boat is about 7:30am
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Have been on Koh Tao a couple of times,and it's very much the place to go if you will dive,if not I would go to Koh Phangang,it's bigger better hotel's ,more bar's ,restaurant's,thing's to see Imho. and you can go snorkling/dive tour's from there to, just have to sail a little longer.
On Koh Tao my guess is that 8 out of 10 is there for diving which I love my self, just saying.
Have parked our car at Lompraya many time and no problem at all.
If you take the bus you can end up waiting nearly 2 hours before the boat sail,just heard it from a friend that waited 1.45 hour at the pier early morning.
Have a nice trip

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Lived there for 10 years

Try these ones owned by friends of mine.

http://www.therocksvillas.com

Speak to Janine owner

Or this one on the other side of the island

http://www.newheavenkohtao.com

Speak to Dev owner

Crazy 88