Korat to Hua Hin - First Time Ever without getting lost

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Korat to Hua Hin - First Time Ever without getting lost

Post by Ratsima »

This week my wife and I drove from Korat to Hua Hin and back again, without getting lost or making any wrong turns.

This is a first for us. After years of practice I think we finally have it.
PeteC

Re: First Time Ever: No Failure

Post by PeteC »

Did you get stopped and extorted? What kind of vehicle were you driving? The questions are related given MIB habits concerning type of vehicle. Hope you enjoyed your stay! :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Korat to Hua Hin - First Time Ever without getting lost

Post by Ratsima »

We did not get stopped. We have only been stopped twice in ten years. We drive a Vios.

We had a wonderful time. This was a business trip for my wife, but we managed to squeeze in quite a bit of touring: Pranburi, Sam Roi Yod, Pala-U, Hua Hin Hills winery. We even saw an elephant on the way home from Pala-U.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well done Ratsima, I've passed that way twice this week also going to and from Somdet (474 miles each way), but I used a SatNav :wink: .

I encountered police or army checkpoints every 50 miles or so (nothing within the Bangkok boundary). Most of them were very polite, looked at my driving licence, saluted me and sent me on my way again. However, there were 3 stops where the BIB reckoned I'd been speeding at 120 Km/hr, he'd caught me on his radar gun (waving a torch at me - same MO each time), told me I had been driving on the right (try driving more than a few hundred yards in the right hand lane at 120 Km/hr without rear ending some dickhead in Thailand). Basically, total BS - I knew resistance was futile, so just left it to Mrs BB to sort out - she paid up twice, and chewed the 3rd BIB up and spat him all over the motorway.

Even though she'd been sat beside me, Mrs BB actually believed the BIB the first 2 times, and even gave me a bollocking as I pulled off. After the second scam, I set my SatNav to sound an alarm if I exceeded the limit, and made sure my passengers were aware by briefly demonstrating what I had done. The 3rd scam attempt saw me totally vindicated, and my bollockings were nothing in comparison to what the BIB received.

I think the difference in our journeys is that you were driving a saloon, and I was driving a pickup. you were ignored, I was repeatedly stopped.

I have no objection to being stopped, in fact IMO it is a good thing that they are checking. This was however, the first time I had been scammed. I will qualify that by saying that Hua Hin's police have never been less than courteous whenever I been stopped by them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

We normally get lost even using a GPS….