Koh Phayam

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Koh Phayam

Post by richard »

Hi

My daughter and boyfriend are planning a trip to the above island for some mega chill time. They will be coming to stay in HH mid January 2015 and plan to go from here to Ranong to catch a 2pm boat to the island for a few days before returning here to take care of this grumpy old man. A couple of questions for those ardent travellers amongst you

1) Anybody been there and any views/tips etc
2) Best way of getting to Ranong to hit the 2pm departure

They are both in backpack/budget mode and want to get from HH to the island in a day. They will also need advice about getting back.

Thanks in advance for your responses
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Koh Phayam

Post by richard »

OK seems nobody on the forum has been there. Sound ideal then for a mega chill :cheers: .

I'll modify my question then:

Who can recommend the best way to get to Ranong from Hua Hin in time to get the ferry to this island which leaves at 2pm?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I had to look it up Richard as didn't know where it was. Maybe a good thing not many know as they talk about it as "Koh Samui of 30 years ago..." Following link has more details for everyone's reading interest. Pete :cheers:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Ko_Phayam
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Have been there long time ago.
As Ranong is more than 400 km. away from Hua Hin + distance to the pier, check departure time for Ranong.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

hello richard
we have been to ko phayam a couple of times and loved it
got there by car and boat and left the car at a place near the pier
but I think there is a vip bus that goes to ranong from huahin, then take a taxi to the pier
we stayed at the "viggit bungalow" very cheap and basic but nice, situated on a lovely beach
we also stayed at the "hornbill hut" on another side of the island and also directly on a beautiful beach and great bungalows
there is no cars on the island which one of its charms
may I suggest that when they get off the boat they hire a scooter straightaway and ask for a copy of the map of the island which is easy to go round it as it is a great but small little island,
the place we used to hire scooters is, as you get off go straight and at the first supermarket on the right they have scooters for hire, you have to bargain the price of course and make sure you have a copy of the passport to give them, but there are many places to rent from
we suggested it to some friends who were looking for something different and not as touristic as the likes of ko samui and they loved it very much
I hope they will have a great time there, we certainly did, really like this little island and thoroughly enjoyed both times we went there
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thank you
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

svea
Novice
Novice

Post by svea »

Oh Yeah !

Been there 5 maybe 6 times. I try to get there on every trip I make to Thailand. I like it so much im reluctant to mention the place for fear it will become too popular.

As mentioned motorbikes only on the island and you have to be careful as there have been some accidents but having said that just BE CAREFUL !

I dont know if they have the time but I usually take the train from Hua Hin to Chumphon and spend the night. Its a very nice bus or mini bus ride from there to Ranong (2 hours). Theres 2 ferries. A slow boat around 2 hours and a speed boat less than half that . Chumphon might be a wasted night for them but a visit to Thung Wua Laen beach a 15 minute taxi or bike from chumphon might be pretty "chilled". The beach has a dozen or so hotel/bungalows for rent with a few bars.

There gonna love Koh Phayam. Tell them to be sure and visit the Hippy Bar.

Cheers,
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thank you for the informative responses.

I was initially cautious about posting this as I know quiet unspoilt resorts are often best kept secret
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

[quote="svea"]Oh Yeah !

I like it so much im reluctant to mention the place for fear it will become too popular.
There gonna love Koh Phayam. Tell them to be sure and visit the Hippy Bar.

:agree: :sun:
svea
Novice
Novice

Post by svea »

TRuth be said If I knew how I would gladly delete my post ! Moderators are welcome too now that the info has been passed on to Richard !
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well my daughter and boyfriend are here now and depart to Koh Phayam tomorrow and are undecided as to whether they take a bus or taxi. Taxi would be 4000 door to door. Can anybody tell me anything about the buses. Where from, what duration of journey time and also times of leaving and frequency Please?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:Well my daughter and boyfriend are here now and depart to Koh Phayam tomorrow and are undecided as to whether they take a bus or taxi. Taxi would be 4000 door to door. Can anybody tell me anything about the buses. Where from, what duration of journey time and also times of leaving and frequency Please?
is that right that you used to work in the Planning Dept Richard?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

We were just there first week of January. We drove, so no help with buses. But a few tips. The wind is blowing from the east so best to stay on the west side of the Island. Better beaches too. Don't stay at the eco place with private beach on the east. The beach is gone most of the day. Rent a bike, you will need it. No visibility for snorkeling or scuba this time of year. at least not around the island. Have fun. It is a great "chill place."
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

My working life used to rely on good planning. Now in retirement I plan day by day (sometimes) but that normally goes awry . My daughter and boyfriend are into day to day planning as they are on holiday
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:My working life used to rely on good planning. Now in retirement I plan day by day (sometimes) but that normally goes awry . My daughter and boyfriend are into day to day planning as they are on holiday
As you took it in good spirit, I found this info on busses to Ranong as recommended by others as a good route - looking at the departure times I reckon they would have to catch tonight's midnight bus - :cheers: http://www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php
Found another link that quotes a 6.00 am departure and 6.1/2 hour travel time, but could be cutting it. Fine? http://www.thailandee.com/eng/transport ... -to-ranong