Photo trip report: A month in Myanmar

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Photo trip report: A month in Myanmar

Post by buksida »

This is an ongoing report posted from location as I need to start wading through all these photos (some were shot on a phone so apologies if they're not up to usual standards) please bear with me, it will be updated over the coming weeks.

Ever since my first brief foray into Burma in 2005 I had a deep desire to return to this mysterious land to the west of Thailand. First impressions from 20,000 feet are of an emerald green landscape dotted with tiny wooden villages and meandering coffee brown rivers. Descending to land in Yangon seemed premature as there was no sign of anything even resembling a city though the golden orb of the Shwedagon Pagoda could clearly be seen winking in the sunlight way off in the distance.

Fortunately a close friend working for a NGO had an apartment in the heart of the colonial district so I grabbed a cab for Pansodan Street and, after a blast through some utterly chaotic traffic, found myself at the foot of the towering red brick Telegraph Office built by the British almost a century ago.

While the traffic can get a little hairy here it seems far more manageable than the lunacy in Bangkok or Manila, though the drivers are just as unpredictable, impatient and permanently leaning on the horn. Unlike many other Asian cities taxis here are plentiful and very cheap; a ride across the city can be made for a couple of dollars.

A stroll down to the river reveals rows of makeshift book shops setup on the street, the Burmese are big on books and avid readers, some treasures from times gone by can be found on tarpaulin sheets lining the pavement. Anything from original hundred year old works by Robert Louis Stevenson to guides to cockfighting and fishkeeping to books on astrophysics – it can all be found here if you look hard enough.

New and old stand side by side, grand old colonial structures such as the High Court and Customs House share the street with the ever advancing tide of progress and new construction in the form of offices and apartments. Sule Pagoda marks the old heart of downtown Yangon; around the outside of it are hundreds of mobile phone shacks that have sprung up overnight to feed the embryonic telecoms industry. Getting a SIM card and mobile internet is remarkably easy and cheap at $1.50, this would not have been possible just two months ago. That said the service is far from consistent and reliable with frequent outages and slow connectivity, a swanky bar called Gecko down the road has good wifi but you have to pay triple price for the drinks to use it.
air1.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
To follow: More on Yangon
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Photo trip report: A month in Myanmar

Post by Pagey »

Buksi : I will follow this report with interest as I have booked flights for 2 weeks in January although I land at Mandalay. I haven't booked any accommodation yet although I will be soon when I decide which areas to visit.

Can you expand a bit on general stuff like obtaining a visa and obtaining currency. Do you still need crisp unfolded dollars etc.

Thanks.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good start to the report thank you. I guess the buildings look more European because you say you were in the Colonial District.

Interesting you mention the traffic because it looks light to non-existent in most of the photos. I bet you had to wait ages for the traffic to ease before taking your photos :D .

Keep them coming please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would book accommodation asap - January is peak season, prices soar and availability falls, especially in the tourist spots such as Bagan and Inle.

I got the visa in Bangkok but as of Sept 1st you can do it online. Yes, crispy new $100 bills can be exchanged pretty much anywhere there for very close to the going rate.

Ask away with anymore questions.

Traffic goes mental during rush hour, but is quite light at other times of the day - it is nothing like Bangkok (or even Hua Hin).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A stroll down to the river reveals rows of makeshift book shops setup on the street, the Burmese are big on books and avid readers, some treasures from times gone by can be found on tarpaulin sheets lining the pavement. Anything from original hundred year old works by Robert Louis Stevenson to guides to cockfighting and fishkeeping to books on astrophysics – it can all be found here if you look hard enough.
So plenty of books in English language as well? The problem with many countries I've visited has been the lack of books in any other but the local language. That was also a dissappointment in Chile.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd say about 50% of them were in English, Burmese are big on reading.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I'd say about 50% of them were in English
Wow, well worth a visit just for that. Could turn into a treasure hunt.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yangon is a time capsule that is about to be thrust into the modern world, quaint little shops and food stalls come and go at various times of the day, I even had to step through a mobile restaurant to get into the apartment block. It feels a little like Hanoi but without the bikes which are banned in the city due to some army sensitivity or other. You have no idea what will happen when you venture out in Yangon, the people are inquisitive and very friendly, being approached by curious locals simply wanting a chat does not happen in many other capital cities. By day it is a noisy raucous place with the honking of horns, the holler of bus boys, and the shouts of traders and vendors filling the balmy air. By night the streets are eerily quiet and dimly lit, with the occasional car slinking by, often feeling as if an unimposed curfew is still in place.

Around town I was delighted to discover Burmese ‘beer stations’ which are essentially man caves for longyi wearing locals to chew the fat, watch the footie, and of course drink beer – naturally I felt right at home in our local one which was called ‘Lion World’. Sundowners were taken on a rickety table adjacent to a feral little shop in the docks where the huge cranes made the backdrop for a sky that turned a shade of molten lava orange as the sun slunk into the Yangon River.

Despite what can be read on the internet this place is virtually devoid of westerners, you certainly stand out here walking around. The tourism ministry has estimated 3 million arrivals this year, maybe they don’t come in August because it is monsoon season … or maybe they’re all in Mandalay – there certainly aren’t many in this part of town.

Smart phones are a recent introduction to Burmese life so there isn’t the zombie culture you find in Bangkok and Singapore where everyone is mindlessly plugged into their device. Probably just as well as you could easily fall into a gaping black hole in the sidewalk here if not paying attention to where you’re going!
DSC_0170.jpg
DSC_0171.jpg
DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg
DSC_0194.jpg
DSC_0207.jpg
DSC_0210.jpg
DSC_0216.jpg
DSC_0219.jpg
DSC_0329.jpg
DSC_0344.jpg
To follow: more on Yangon

Full gallery and trip report: http://ontheroadasia.com/yangon.php
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Fantastic report I have never seen Gantry Cranes with a forty five degree angle on the out reach of the boom when boomed up not sure I like the idea of that having another boom hinge a long way out.
Do you have anymore crane photos.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Only another one of the same angle, was looking more at the sunset than the crane. :mrgreen:
DSC_0185.jpg
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yangon is best explored on foot and today takes me north to Kandawgyi Lake for a little serenity. Skies are brooding but I have yet to experience the torrential downpours that should be descending on Burma at this time of year. That said, an umbrella is the essential companion in Yangon, used as a sun shade and mostly for its intended original purpose.

19th Street is lined with local restaurants, barbeque stalls and beer stations and after dark it is teeming with life. Food in Myanmar is a little closer to Indian than Thai or Chinese, it is also very oily but exceedingly tasty and very cheap with the average meal costing less than two dollars. Beer is even cheaper at less than a dollar a tin and the country doesn't seem to have the paranoia and hangups about alcohol consumption that Thailand has.

One of the delights of Yangon is that you never know what is going to happen next, that night I end up in an art gallery drinking with local expats who are a lot younger than those in Bangkok and largely made up of NGO workers, writers, photographers, teachers and entrepreneurs. Pansodan Gallery turns into an expat meeting place every Tuesday and it is a lively bunch that fills the vibrant painting adorned room this night.
DSC_0330.jpg
DSC_0338.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg
DSC_0348.jpg
DSC_0353.jpg
DSC_0357.jpg
DSC_0358.jpg
This is a public protest in Yangon about government land grabbing, they camped here for months ...
DSC_0509.jpg
DSC_0511.jpg
To follow: Dala Township

Full gallery and trip report: http://www.ontheroadasia.com/yangon.php
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Fantastic report and photos, Buksi. You're certainly whetting our appetite for a trip there during our short break in December. Last time we went to Rangoon it rained the whole time, which certainly put a damper on things.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have been extremely lucky with the weather visiting in August/September, apparently the previous month was a total wash out.

Be aware that December is peak season so accommodation will be more expensive and tourists will be there in droves.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There doesn't seem to be the crush of motorbikes that you find in every Thai city and town. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Great report and photos! As always!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.