Where is this place?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
poisoner

Where is this place?

Post by poisoner »

I've just found a couple of cool pix of HH on Flickr, but it doesn't say where in HH (if it is at all).
Can anybody let me know please? It certainly has the 'wow' factor.
Or, to quote a classic Monty Python line - 'It's only a model'!
Thanks
Al

[b][url=http://www.bangkokmafia.com][color=red]Bangkok Mafia[/color][/url][/b]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

This is the Kuha Karuhas pavilion built by King Rama V & depicted on the Prachuap Khiri Kahn provincial seal.

It is located near Hat Laem Sala beach within Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park about 60km south of Hua Hin.

You need to organise a longtail boat from the main beach to the beach from which you must walk to get there. If you go take plenty of mosquito repellent as the place is absolutely buzzing with them - especially in the rainy season. There is then a jungle/mountain walk of about an hour or so to the cave - or so we were told - we had to turn back after ten minutes because the kids were getting eaten alive by mosquitos!

Not recommended for young families. Although we told them of our intentions, none of the information above was given to us by the park wardens at the entrance to the National Park.

We will try again this April, without the kids!
Michael

Where is this place?

Post by Michael »

Hi Al,

I have been there last august. No moskitos, less people. There is a boatservice but also a way through the hills with a lot of steps to the beach where you can eat in a restaurant (only thaifood ) before you climb to the cave (45 min.).

Michael
poisoner

Post by poisoner »

Good info - many thanks!
How do we go about organising boat etc?, I am assuming this is a regular tourist style destination.
Will be back in HH in about 5 weeks.
Al
Michael

Where is this place?

Post by Michael »

Al, hire a car from Hua-Hin (700 Bhat) and drive to the Khao Sam Roi National Park (Entree 100 Baht p. P.)

The driver will take you to the beach directly and there are a regular boat service. You dont need to ask, they will ask you for sure.

Michael

:)
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

When we went (November 2005) there was no 'regular' boat service. It was completely ad-hoc but as Michael wrote, hang around for a couple of minutes and someone will ask you. They will pick you up for the return leg at a time you agree with them. Best to get a mobile number from them in case you want to go back early like we had to.

Didn't get to see the pavilion as I mentioned but the beach where the boat will take you is really pretty and we were the only people on it. Once under cover of the trees though, the mosquitos ruled!
poisoner

Post by poisoner »

Many thanks guy's - my post got moved & it took me a while to find it again!
Really useful information there, looking forward to checking the park out when I'm back in March
Al